Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for this illustration?

Hi all,

I'm working on a project (more of that later) and need to find a contemporary illustration of Nichols from life ie while alive. Very difficult, as it turns out. All I've found is this:

Does anyone know the source of this illustration? If it's from the time, I'll use it. If it's a mystery, I'll avoid it and come up with something else.

Or if anyone can point me to an illustration of Nichols where the artist rendered her alive, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

JM
    Last edited by jmenges; 08-31-2008, 04:34 PM.

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
    As far as I can tell they were created for a website about the murders,
    http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...%3Den%26sa%3DN
    Right, they are used on that site, but that same website uses known contemporary illustrations of the victims. Chapman's and Stride's are from the IPN, I'm hoping that this Nichols drawing is also from the Illustrated Police News or something similar, but it is not as of yet sourced anywhere or in the Photo Archive.

Edit- And I've never seen an IPN with that particular image of Polly, so I have my doubts.

JM
    Last edited by jmenges; 08-31-2008, 04:48 PM.

Comment

I have found a cover from the Illustrated Police News dated 8/12/88 with Osborne Street, George Yard, Bucks Row, Hanbury Street, Berner Street, and Mitre Square in small squares. Millers court is in a large central frame in the centre. None of the pictures look like the picture of Polly from that other site.
      Regards Mike

Comment

This looks like one of a set of illustrations drawn up for a rather average map called JACK'S LONDON from about 10 or so years ago. I didn't recognise ANY of the versions of the victims and so I think they were just imaginative ones not really based on anything serious.

PHILIP
        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
          I didn't recognise ANY of the versions of the victims
          Chapman's and Stride's images on the above linked site are based on the Illustrated Police News drawings that are in the Photo archive. Look again, Philip.

Mike,

Thanks. Email received.

That IPN has totally different illustrations, eh? Even more unrealistic.

JM

Comment

The Illustrated Police News picture makes all the victims look the same!

The pictures of the victims on the website look quite romantic, and Mary Kelly looks like a fox!
            Regards Mike

Comment

Guys,

I can confirm these images were used on a map called JACKS LONDON made around 1993, as Philip stated.

This was basically an 1870 GW Bacon map of the area with IPN illustrations. The guys who wrote and designed it were Daryl Sullivan and Andrew Cockell.

Monty
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Hi Monty,

So you're saying that this image of Nichols is probably also from the IPN?

JM

Comment

Hi Jonathon,

I honestly cant say. The Nichols image on this map was the first time I had seen it, whereas the others where IPN.

I personally, am suspicious of it. One man who would be able to confirm is Stewart Evans, maybe if you PMd him he would be able to answer this question.
                  Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

I'm suspicious of it also...I'll do as you recommend and contact SPE.

What I'm doing is creating a comprehensive moving 3D timeline of events that will be in HD Quicktime movie format. Playable on your desktop or iPod, so you can pause, fast-forward and rewind. Comprehensive means I'm trying to include everything so it will take me awhile. Nevertheless, if the file size when completed is not too large, this is something that can be put into the podcast stream as a free bonus for our listeners, or I'll upload it somewhere else and let everyone know.

I just started this thing last night, but the screenshots will give you some idea. The size is larger on your computer than what is shown below, these shots represent full screen:

JM

Comment

Yikes, JM! "Include everything" and "file size not too large" don't seem like overly compatible concepts to me, mate, but best of luck to you, and I look forward to the eventual result!

B.
                      Bailey
                      Wellington, New Zealand
                      hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
                      www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

Jacks London pictures

I wrote the copy for Jacks London nearly 20 years ago. My colleague Andy re-drew the pictures from old Police Illustrated News as found in many Ripper books at the time. I note that one member refers to MJK as a "fox"....the drawing is actually based upon Andys girlfriend at that time.....there were no images to base MJK on and his girlfriend appeared to fit her description. The rights to the publication were sold on many years ago after the firm that we worked for (a cartographic company) folded. I do have a few copies if they are of any use.....Daryl Sullivan

Comment

Thanks,

Could you (or anyone) locate the original source for the Nichols drawing?

JM

Comment

Andy and I lost contact years ago....he would have the sources that he based his pictures on

Comment

Working...
                            X