HH Hollmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Monstrosity View Post
    So yet another TV episode saying they have the real jack the Ripper. this claim is HH Holmes. Anyone care to comment?
    Yeah. It's bullshite.
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Pontius2000 View Post
      I watched first episode last night and already caught one blatant lie. It said HH Holmes acquired a pharmacy from a couple- the Holtons- who then "mysteriously disappeared". That's a bald faced, outright lie...Holmes BOUGHT the pharmacy from the Holtons and they never "disappeared"...both Holtons lived well into the 20th century and died of natural causes.

I don't mean to sound like Donald Trump, but this is the very meaning of "fake news"...when media outlets are more concerned with ratings than facts. Think about it from History Channel's perspective...HH Holmes is one of the most famous serial killers ever. JtR is THE most famous serial killer ever. So linking the two together is bound to be a cable tv ratings extravaganza, right? Nevermind that their "facts" are completely fiction
      This is someone else caught up in the mania of believing they have "nailed" the Ripper, despite all of the evidence otherwise, and the History Channel, like so many editors, publishers, directors, TV companies and movie studios going right along with all the supposed revelations. The public deserves better.

Instead, this is what is urgently needed in the study of the Whitechapel Murders --

Christopher T. George
      Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
      just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
      For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
      RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Hi All,

The story of Jack the Ripper is the epitome of fake news.

Facts, no fiction?

I recommend a reading of "Deconstructing Jack: The Secret History of the Whitechapel Murders."

Regards,

Simon
        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
          Hi All,

The story of Jack the Ripper is the epitome of fake news.

Facts, no fiction?

I recommend a reading of "Deconstructing Jack: The Secret History of the Whitechapel Murders."

Regards,

Simon
          Oh, who wrote that book then?
          Christopher T. George
          Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
          just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
          For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
          RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Hi Chris,

Modesty forbids.

Regards,

Simon
            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Holmes

According to Erik Larsen in The devil in the White City, Holmes was in Chicago in the summer of 1888 overseeing construction of his "murder castle" He also states Holmes bought the Hoten's (sp) pharmacy or acquired the deed from Mrs. Hoten. the pharmacy was located across the street from the murder castle.
              Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Comment

I watched the third episode last night. Holmes' descendant was talking with Stewart Evans and Stewart was discussing the Batty Street Lodger as though the story had some legitimacy. I was always under the impression that the story was kind of iffy at best. Also, if true, wouldn't the landlady have been a major witness for the police?

c.d.

Comment

I hadn't been aware of the landlady's story that she saw the Lodger again many years later, which does seem like utter fantasy. Doesn't mean the rest of the story didn't happen, though.

I noticed they liked Tumblety's quack doctor aspect, but ruled him out as being Holmes on account of his age.
                  Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                  ---------------
                  Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                  ---------------

Comment

Hello Pat,

It seems to me that if the Lodger story is true then the landlady would have been used as a key witness which as far as I know did not happen.

c.d.

Comment

I can file this bit of nonsense with Cornwell's disparaging tirade against Sickert.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                        Hello Pat,

It seems to me that if the Lodger story is true then the landlady would have been used as a key witness which as far as I know did not happen.

c.d.
                        Hi, c.d.,

Yes, this is a good point. Thanks for the reply.
                        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                        ---------------
                        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                        ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                          For your information the documentary series about H. H. Holmes being JtR starts tonight (Tuesday, July 11) on History Channel, here in the USA. Ads for it indicate he doubts that his ancestor was really executed, and intends to dig up the grave.

I'll watch it, out of an interest in Holmes, but I'm not expecting that we'll be crying "case closed!" afterwards.
                          Having been following it On Demand out of sheer curiosity when I get back from the pub, it's funny how much mental gymnastics is on display to bend and shape Holmes into the "Ripper."

It obviously discounts some early murders and the "torsos", too, and assumes a great deal.

One thing I find quite annoying is the main guy's constant reference to his great great grandfather, H.H. Holmes.

Hey, my great great grandfather, H.H. Holmes.

Did I mention, my great great grandfather, H.H. Holmes.

I wonder how this relates to my great great grandfather, H.H. Holmes.

Give it a rest and shave that goatee, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Pontius2000 View Post
                            Not sure. Basically the History Channel claimed Earhart survived her 1937 disappearance based on a photo which they claimed was taken afterwards. A researcher reviewed it and determined it was a photo from 1935 and was already previously known. The History Channel had to come out and apologize and with a statement saying they're "looking into" how badly they could have flubbed that. This is the same Channel that has Ancient Aliens.
                            I always find it surprising that people find it surprising that the History channel is essentially a load of bollocks that is purely intended to string people along and gain viewers.

It's like telling kids about gory executions from the past in order to try and get them interested in history.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike J. G. View Post
                              Having been following it On Demand out of sheer curiosity when I get back from the pub, it's funny how much mental gymnastics is on display to bend and shape Holmes into the "Ripper."

It obviously discounts some early murders and the "torsos", too, and assumes a great deal.

One thing I find quite annoying is the main guy's constant reference to his great great grandfather, H.H. Holmes.

Hey, my great great grandfather, H.H. Holmes.

Did I mention, my great great grandfather, H.H. Holmes.

I wonder how this relates to my great great grandfather, H.H. Holmes.

Give it a rest and shave that goatee, mate.
                              well he was, after all you know, his great great grandfather, H.H. Holmes.
                              LOL!
                              The whole things a joke and I could only stomach about 10 minutes of the nonsense until I turned the channel to something more credible like pro wrestling.
                              "Is all that we see or seem
                              but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                              quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                                well he was, after all you know, his great great grandfather, H.H. Holmes.
                                LOL!
                                The whole things a joke and I could only stomach about 10 minutes of the nonsense until I turned the channel to something more credible like pro wrestling.
                                Tbf, I bloody like wrestling! lol.

I quite enjoy watching the show when I return from the pub, but as I say, it's clearly just another nonsense History show that only serves to bring in viewers and keep them tuned in.

I don't for a second buy into this guy's theory at all, and I'd be surprised if the bird with the inflated lips does, either, if she has any sense.

That kid with the pipe does my head in, too.

Tbh, it makes for a good drinking game, just take a drink every time he says "my great great grandfather, H.H. Holmes..."

Last edited by Mike J. G.; 09-07-2017, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X