Various language speaking Ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Various language speaking Ripper

On thing I noticed in the spelling errors in his letters was: I sometimes make the same spelling mistakes as him. I speak three languages and that can often get mixed up especially if you're in excitement...does anybody here think that he spoke more than 1 or two languages fluently? One example of three languages could be: English, Spanish and German, since they are a bit related.

I'd like to hear some opinions

Thanks for reading

Yasmin

Hi Yasmin.

It's not clear if any of the Ripper letters were actually written by the killer. Most experts think none of the letters were authentic. There were hundreds of letters and they were written by hundreds of different people. With so many authors, it is likely that some of them did speak English as a second or third language.

You can read about the one letter which is most likely to be authentic, the "From Hell" letter, by clicking on "Ripper Letters." The other possible authentic Ripper writing is the Goulston Street Graffito, which is covered on the same page.

If the "From Hell" letter was a hoax, then probably the hoaxer made his spelling errors on purpose. It's hard to say anything about the spelling and grammar errors in the graffito, because it was erased and reports of people who saw it don't agree on the exact wording.

Comment

"Jack the Ripper, Letters from Hell" is a great book to get you started on the Ripper Letters. Students of the case have different theories on different letters, and if you look on the message boards under "Letters" you will see the many arguements for and against.

The "Dissertation" section, which can be found on the left hand side of your screen is also filled of free articles written by some of the best the field has to offer.

(and one by me )

Good luck
      Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
      X