Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was the author of the 'Maybrick' diary? Some options.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Henry Flower View Post
    Life is too short to deal with morons like Kaz. I'm outta here.

Caz, it's a pity you didn't have the class to apologise for a real dick move.
    HF
    you have the options of putting posters on "ignore".

don't go!!
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
      HF
      you have the options of putting posters on "ignore".

don't go!!

HF has been disrespectful for awhile now, maybe a break is what he needs.

Comment

I don't quite know where you're getting this idea from, dear Caz. Possibly you pulled it right out of your ass. Did I ever suggest anything other than that it was brilliant that people were asking questions of the protagonists and digging deep into the details? The wood-for-the-trees aspect refers only to the need not to do what you have done - get so far into the detail, so blinded by the minutiae and your own expertise, that you lose sight of the bigger picture, viz: the diary of Jack the Ripper has no properly demonstrated or documented provenance beyond a man who was a published freelance writer, who acquired a partially blank Victorian diary, and who made two confessions to having forged the thing. Beyond that there is what may be a coincidence of dates regarding the possible lifting of floorboards, and the deeply, unfathomably unlikely story that came from Anne.
        Thanks for the clarification, Henry. I admit I thought you had joined the ranks of those - past or present - who have maintained that getting too close to the 'players' was the problem, while the best way to sort the truth from the lies was to keep one's distance from them and comment on the action from the sidelines.

We all start somewhere. I started with most of that 'bigger picture' of yours, in 1998, when I read the existing diary books, and after a couple of years I was invited by Keith to dig deeper into the details he already knew. We did some more digging together for Ripper Diary, then he did even more digging of his own after that. If I got so far into the detail, so blinded by the minutiae and my own expertise, where does that leave Keith? It has given us both similar insights, and we do think alike on most diary matters, but I'm certain he has burrowed much deeper into the detail and minutiae than I have, from the day he started back in 1992 right up until this afternoon, and has far more expertise than I could ever gain.

Keith's research is indeed outstanding, and he supports the best football team, but one thing I can accuse him of is that he never takes his eye off the bigger picture you describe, not for one blasted minute, even if you are right to accuse me of losing sight of it. He was there when it came into view and he is not about to forget the inherent difficulties with each and every aspect of the diary and watch sagas and with every version he has been given as to how they did or didn't come into being.

Have a really good weekend, Henry, and I'm sorry I made you cross.

Love,

Caz
        X
        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaz View Post
          HF has been disrespectful for awhile now, maybe a break is what he needs.
          You mean 'a while' not 'awhile'. The adverb 'awhile' cannot follow a preposition. By the way, did you ever acknowledge that you were wrong and I was right about the definition of the word 'temporarily'?

Language isn't your strong point is it? Maybe some remedial classes are what you need.

Comment

• Bless you Caz, and thank you.

You have a lovely weekend too. I always liked and admired you, and still do.

Originally posted by caz View Post
            Thanks for the clarification, Henry. I admit I thought you had joined the ranks of those - past or present - who have maintained that getting too close to the 'players' was the problem, while the best way to sort the truth from the lies was to keep one's distance from them and comment on the action from the sidelines.

We all start somewhere. I started with most of that 'bigger picture' of yours, in 1998, when I read the existing diary books, and after a couple of years I was invited by Keith to dig deeper into the details he already knew. We did some more digging together for Ripper Diary, then he did even more digging of his own after that. If I got so far into the detail, so blinded by the minutiae and my own expertise, where does that leave Keith? It has given us both similar insights, and we do think alike on most diary matters, but I'm certain he has burrowed much deeper into the detail and minutiae than I have, from the day he started back in 1992 right up until this afternoon, and has far more expertise than I could ever gain.

Keith's research is indeed outstanding, and he supports the best football team, but one thing I can accuse him of is that he never takes his eye off the bigger picture you describe, not for one blasted minute, even if you are right to accuse me of losing sight of it. He was there when it came into view and he is not about to forget the inherent difficulties with each and every aspect of the diary and watch sagas and with every version he has been given as to how they did or didn't come into being.

Have a really good weekend, Henry, and I'm sorry I made you cross.

Love,

Caz
            X

Comment

Life is too short to deal with morons like Kaz. I'm outta here.

Caz, it's a pity you didn't have the class to apologise for a real dick move.
              I didn't have the class or the chance, dear Henry! Blimey, a girl has to go and powder her nose at some stage. I can't see every post as soon as it arrives on the screen. I only just read the one I responded to above, and have yet to read all the posts written subsequently to that one. That's just the way I roll. I try to respond to posts in the order they were posted, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

Too needy!

Love,

Caz
              X

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
                I try to respond to posts in the order they were posted, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

Too needy!

Love,

Caz
                X
                Oh, you respond to them in order of posting.

Too nerdy!

Love,

Needy
                x

Thanks Caz. Glad we didn't part on glowering terms. All the best.

Comment

• Too nudey. I'm still in my dressing gown from this morning!

Off now for some Friday night F and G. And R E S P E C T.

Fun and games. And some soul music would be good too.

Love,

Caz
                  X

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                    To get back to the topic, particularly that it is a forgery of the 20th century: who wrote it, if handwriting analysis apparently does NOT match either Mr or Mrs Barrett, or their friend Tony D.?

Are we to assume they had a fourth, unknown accomplice who did the copying of the text into the photo album turned "diary"? If so, why did that person stay "mum" all these years?

How big a conspiracy of forgers was this supposed to be, anyway?

And why does the Diary begin in mid-sentence, with some pages removed?
                    What we should do is just keep looking for the 4th-person and when they are eliminited from our enquiries look for a 5th-person, and then a 6th-person.

Or we could move on from the Barretts-as-involved-in-hoax theory and either look into who actually could have constructed such a deeply elaborate hoax, or else accept that James Maybrick must have been Jack the Ripper.

PCDunn, we don't have Maybrick's handwriting to compare with so how can we know it wasn't in his? (We have only his formal, public copperplate.)
                    Iconoclast
                    Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
                      What? Because I actually have a life away from these boards, which means I can't sit here reading and responding immediately to each new post? Come on, John, give me a break. You previously told me to shut up and now I read that my silence has been deafening.

It must be equally deafening on the other diary threads, which I simply haven't had time to catch up with yet, and won't be doing so for some time to come, as I am taking a break next week to show my better half round the better pubs and sights of Liverpool. The diary saga will not be featuring.

Love,

Caz
                      X
                      No it's when asked to give evidence you come up with nothing.

Comment

• man

The full transcript reveals he had a stroke between coming into possession of the photo album and it being revealed.

So the "blithering idiot" portrayal of Mike Barrett that we have accepted over the last 25 years is a false one...he was in fact a man recovering from a stroke.
                        My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

• Originally posted by DirectorDave View Post
                          The full transcript reveals he had a stroke between coming into possession of the photo album and it being revealed.

So the "blithering idiot" portrayal of Mike Barrett that we have accepted over the last 25 years is a false one...he was in fact a man recovering from a stroke.
                          I was never convinced he was a blithering idiot. Besides assuming someone is too stupid to do something is dangerous territory. I'm sure many were surprised that the blithering idiot Fred West was a serial killer.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
                            I was never convinced he was a blithering idiot. Besides assuming someone is too stupid to do something is dangerous territory. I'm sure many were surprised that the blithering idiot Fred West was a serial killer.
                            He doubles down on it later in the interview.

Well thank you very much because
                            I’ve had a stroke in between and it can’t buy
                            you health. And all the money in the world
                            can’t buy you health. And I mean that. It
                            just can’t buy you health.

I wish we had that full transcript 25 years ago, understandable the bit about the stroke was kept from us, clearly Mike Barrett has been set up to be viewed a certain way.
                            My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
                              How did Fred West get on writing a journal of Jack the Ripper that couldn't be proven a fraud despite twenty-five years and more of trying, by the way?

Blithering idiots are well named, in my view. They tend not to be very clever.
                              Iconoclast

Comment

• Originally posted by DirectorDave View Post
                                He doubles down on it later in the interview.

Well thank you very much because
                                I’ve had a stroke in between and it can’t buy
                                you health. And all the money in the world
                                can’t buy you health. And I mean that. It
                                just can’t buy you health.

I wish we had that full transcript 25 years ago, understandable the bit about the stroke was kept from us, clearly Mike Barrett has been set up to be viewed a certain way.
                                Oh - he says it twice so it absolutely must be true!

I'm reasonably confidnet that one of Mike's other claims was that he had infiltrated the provos whilst working for MI5.

That would certainly explain the stress which led to his eventual stroke.
                                Iconoclast

Comment

Working...
                                X