Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Scene of the Crimes: The Bucks Row Project Summary Report. - by Fisherman 2 minutes ago.
Mary Ann Nichols: What Direction Was Polly Travelling When She Was Killed? - by MrBarnett 7 hours ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Sedgewick Saunders ....... why did he say the things he said ? - by Wickerman 7 hours ago.
Mary Ann Nichols: What Direction Was Polly Travelling When She Was Killed? - by DJA 7 hours ago.
Mary Ann Nichols: What Direction Was Polly Travelling When She Was Killed? - by MrBarnett 7 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Mary Ann Nichols: What Direction Was Polly Travelling When She Was Killed? - (58 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: The Bucks Row Project Summary Report. - (33 posts)
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - (28 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (4 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Sedgewick Saunders ....... why did he say the things he said ? - (3 posts)
Abberline, Inspector Frederick: Hinting at something? - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 01:42 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
There are examples of serialists who dismembered some of their victims while not doing so with others. It is not an obstacle that cannot be overcome, John. It has been outlined before that the dismemberment killings may have been carried out in a bolthole that could be tied to the killer, and that he accordingly had to get rid of the remains in these cases, whereas this was never the case with the Ripper victims. Having been killed in the streets, they left no trace to the killer. It is consequentially only if dismemberment was an important part of the paraphilia that we should expect to see it every time.

The dissimilaritites can therefore be overcome, whereas the similarities remain unexplained. "It just came out that way" is not good enough in my book.
That's garbage if thats your attitude then you might as well conclude that Chapman was the Ripper and the Torso killer.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2018, 02:26 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheat View Post
The Torso killings spanned nearly 20 years so it's not really the same time frame. Unless there were Ripper style killings throughout the period of The Torso killings your argument breaks down.
Hi John
But both ended at the same time in 89. To me it looks like an escalation to the point of losing control then sudden stoppage. Common for serial killers who have been successful for a period of time, like bundy and kemper.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 03-30-2018, 03:16 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Hi John
But both ended at the same time in 89. To me it looks like an escalation to the point of losing control then sudden stoppage. Common for serial killers who have been successful for a period of time, like bundy and kemper.
The two series murders are to my mind very different and two different perpetrators are responsible.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:13 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
The two series murders are to my mind very different and two different perpetrators are responsible.
Indeed, or - quite possibly - more than two perpetrators... in either series.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 03-30-2018, 04:36 AM
Detective

The trouble with the Thames torso murders is if the killer murdered in that fashion in a safe bolt hole why take the risk of going out onto the streets ? We know the murders spanned either side of JTR if it was one perpetrator he took enormous risks by changing his MO. Lets look at the C5, Polly, almost caught in the act. Annie, took a large risk in a backyard overlooked in almost daylight. Liz, very nearly caught in the act, and you could argue the same with Kate. Mary is the only one with a little bit of safety involved, and even that murder came with large risks, someone looking through the broken pane etc. If i was the killer after almost being caught/interrupted after Polly i would go back to my tried and trusted method.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:06 AM
Casebook Supporter

Indeed, Darryl. If someone had the luxury of a home, or at least a relatively private bolt-hole, in which they could safely kill and dismember their victims over a period of time, the idea that they'd take to the public streets in order to carry out very different murders in a handful of weeks is utterly, utterly absurd.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:10 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Indeed, Darryl. If someone had the luxury of a home, or at least a relatively private bolt-hole, in which they could safely kill and dismember their victims over a period of time, the idea that they'd take to the public streets in order to carry out very different murders in a handful of weeks is utterly, utterly absurd.
This is the crux of the debate for me Gareth. It’s simply not believable

Herlock

"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Old 03-30-2018, 05:17 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Could be, I just lean the other way. I see more similarities than differences and the idea of two post mortem mutilating body part removing prostitute serial killers running around the same time in the same city, especially at that time when serial murder was rare, is just too much of a coincidence to me.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 03-30-2018, 05:22 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Why risk killing outdoors when you have access to private premises?
The post-mortem mutilation of the torso victims was done in conjunction with chopping them into pieces, not as an end in itself.
It is not the same location (the Ripper murders concentrated in a small part of the East End, the torso murders' focus - if it had any - in West London), nor the same time frame (the outdoor Ripper murders occurred in a short blitz of a few weeks, the torso murders on a leisurely basis over a long period of time). As to "victimology", prostitutes were, are, and always have been, easy meat for killers.

Let's be precise about these things, folks.
Precise, to your own definition sam? If you really want to be precise you could say the c5 were all done by a different hand due to there differences. Disagree if you want but stop using words like that against people who don’t agree with you.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 03-30-2018, 05:35 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Precise, to your own definition sam?
No, just precise.

Whilst we see some "post mortem mutilations" in the JTR murders, what we see in the torso series is "dismemberment", not "mutilation".

The "same location" does not apply when we're talking about two different districts (West/East End) separated by hundreds of streets and hundreds of thousands of residents.

To believe/assert otherwise in either case is to be imprecise.

Last edited by Sam Flynn : 03-30-2018 at 05:46 AM.
Closed Thread