Role of Message Boards in Disseminating New Research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Role of Message Boards in Disseminating New Research

On the latest Rippercast (Episode 51), one discussed topic was the increasing role of the message boards in reporting new evidence about the case. Some of the panelists expressed the opinion that peer-reviewed journals (e.g., the Ripperologist) were more appropriate outlets for new knowledge. I sympathize with this view, however, the immediacy and the ability to reach a wider audience are advantages of utilizing social media such as these message boards. And so I go back and forth on this issue. If you discovered new facts about the case that weren't going to make you rich but were worthy of publication in outlets such as the Ripperologist, would you first prepare a manuscript or would you share your findings on these boards? Are the message boards enhancing or detracting from academic pursuits of the case?

If you discovered new facts about the case that weren't going to make you rich but were worthy of publication in outlets such as the Ripperologist, would you first prepare a manuscript or would you share your findings on these boards?
    Both. Well, if Eduardo is kind enough to translate my prose into unbroken English.

Are the message boards enhancing or detracting from academic pursuits of the case?
    Enhancing, no doubt. Thanks to posters such as Debs, Chris, Chris, Chris and Chris.

Comment

Perhaps if researchers were able to do a summary of their research for a publication, rather than a full blown essay or article then there might be more going that route?
      Researching takes time, it's probably hard to squeeze in writing too? It is for me anyway. A summary post to the message boards is quick and simple and takes a few minutes and follow up posts can be written as and when.

Comment

It should of course be pointed out that the person wishing things would be posted in Ripperologist instead of the boards was an editor of Ripperologist magazine, so it's only obvious he would feel that way. I still think most people would prefer that their findings be posted in an official publication as it is more "prestigious" that way, and most people involved with the case have that kind of ego that makes that desirable and finds their worth in being a "published" author. However there have been cases of people getting burned that way, because they discover something, and then sit on it, waiting to publish it in a magazine article or book only to have someone come along, find the exact same thing and publish it on the boards. And then person A gets offended at being "snaked". In this day of instant media, the person whose name goes on it first gets the credit for the find, and the message boards are an easy way to do that.

Let all Oz be agreed;
        I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

It's horses for courses.

Some research is probably best suited for the fast medium of the message board - other research may benefit from the longer treatment available in a publication.

As for being 'trumped' by somebody else, well, that's a risk one has to take if one decides to sit on one's discoveries.
          Last edited by John Bennett; 03-01-2012, 04:20 PM. Reason: Blimey! My first post of 2012!

Comment

It works the opposite way too sometimes. Snobbery over message board posting not being classed as legitimate published research has led to new posted information being 'ripped off' without any credit to the original poster in some instances.
            It's certainly a dilemma.
            Last edited by Debra A; 03-01-2012, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Posting research findings on a message board is fine, but the very nature of the 'conversational style' would make coherence difficult for a big piece.

Adam Wood's article in the latest Rip was a good example. There had been calls for the Aberconway version to be put up here, but the format of a published article gave Adam the chance to work at length on the material, expand on what he had found out and then put it all together in a coherent form and release it all in one go.

If that had happened on a message board, naturally as different elements were posted, there would be debate, interruptions and other stuff that would render the whole thing a little difficult to navigate once it hit 100 posts!

That said, if you find out a small but important 'factoid', it may not necessarily warrant an article in its own right. An announcement on a forum does the job.

JB

Comment

Wow, Debra, I admit I am not fully caught up on all the ins and outs of Ripper politics but I would be shocked if any publication allowed someone to do that (falsely claim already published material) and didn't post a retraction. That's pretty bad.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Ally, apparently an author (even if a member of the message boards where the info was posted) can claim that they independently found the same information if challenged?
                  Last edited by Debra A; 03-01-2012, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                    Posting research findings on a message board is fine, but the very nature of the 'conversational style' would make coherence difficult for a big piece.

Adam Wood's article in the latest Rip was a good example. There had been calls for the Aberconway version to be put up here, but the format of a published article gave Adam the chance to work at length on the material, expand on what he had found out and then put it all together in a coherent form and release it all in one go.

If that had happened on a message board, naturally as different elements were posted, there would be debate, interruptions and other stuff that would render the whole thing a little difficult to navigate once it hit 100 posts!

That said, if you find out a small but important 'factoid', it may not necessarily warrant an article in its own right. An announcement on a forum does the job.

JB
                    One of the reasons Ripperana was launched was to provide a home for factoids. Ripperologist originally have a page for them too. The immediate benefit of publication in a journal is that a journal is easier to cite than a an often long and clumsy url. We also have yet to see how long internet sites and message boards survive. Some vanish, sometimes intentionally, other times not, and with them vanishes the data they contain. And, of course, the factoids can easily get swamped by superfluous discussion on a board. I don't think it is really a question of whether one should publish on a message board or in a journal, both have advantages and disadvantages. If it concerns you, publish to both.

Comment

I never find anything of importance anyway.

Monty
                      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                        Posting research findings on a message board is fine, but the very nature of the 'conversational style' would make coherence difficult for a big piece.{...}That said, if you find out a small but important 'factoid', it may not necessarily warrant an article in its own right. An announcement on a forum does the job.
                        Absolutely, on both counts.
                        I also agree with what Paul Begg wrote. In most cases the best approach is to announce the finding on the boards (maybe without giving all details), announce that you're having an upcoming article on the subject (to secure credit), then bring it out in a publication.

Posting an incomplete finding on the boards very much helps in a multi-faceted/international approach, when more that one researchers are required to complete the task, checking out sources from different parts of the world. A discussion on the boards might speed up the process once the ressources of email and PM are exhausted. Though obviously there's the risk that a public discussion on ongoing research will be sidetracked or will degenerate into a circular debate.
                        Best regards,
                        Maria

Comment

swift

Hello Ally. I think you are right about motivation. But if one wishes to share findings quickly--hoping to make inroads into the case--the boards work MUCH better.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

dissertations

Hello John. I agree. A journal article is better, given there are a great many points to be presented. (Of course, the better ones will eventually end up at Casebook anyway--dissertation section.)

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

There are lots of pros and cons, and there's no need to have one to the exclusion of the other. It's true that a magazine article is sometimes seen as more prestigious, mainly I suppose because it has to be passed by the editor as good enough to publish (unless the editor is desperate!). Message board posts on the other hand are open for anyone to publish anything, unless it contravenes the rules of the site. But if the message board has a dissertations section then that works as a filter against bad stuff, the same way a mag does.

Comment

Working...
                              X