Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding Mary Jane Kelly's grave in Leytonstone

Hello all,
    thought I saw it before on the forum, but can't find it again: is there a map or a sketch of route with paths and directions leading to MJK's grave in StPatrick ?
    I'mabout to go again to London on january, and would like at last going to the cemetery... And by the way: any route too leading to John McCarthy's grave ?

Thank you so much...
    regards
    G
    His man Bowyer
    (Forgive my accent, I've been to France for a while…)

—————————————

Gene, there are a couple of route directions here :

As for McCarthy, I believe it is close by and rather impressive so hopefully you should be able to spot it.

Comment

Gene, these two videos by Philip Hutchinson should help with orientation :

The grave of the most famous victim of Jack The Ripper, Mary Jane Kelly, at St Patrick's RC Cemetery, Leyton, London.

The monument of John McCarthy, landlord of Mary Jane Kelly, the last victim of Jack The Ripper.

Comment

Thank you, Robert; here comes again the GreatWork of Philip Hutchinson. Deep respect ! he never comes to casebook now, but his magnus opus still there !

But does it exists a map or a simple sketch lining the route from the gate to these 2 graves ?
        His man Bowyer

—————————————

Comment

Hi Gene

No, sorry, I'm not aware of a map or sketch.

Comment

Thank you anyway, Robert.
            His man Bowyer

—————————————

Comment

Can't be as hard as finding Mary Spink's unmarked grave in the same cemetery :-(
              Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

I had all the directions for getting to Mary Jane's grave written down when I vacationed there in 2008 and probably still have it on paper packed away somewhere, but what I remember about the cemetery itself is that once you enter it you keep going right. You pass a chapel, and are then nearing the poor section of the cemetery where the monuments (and you will never see a cemetery more overflowing with wonderful monuments!) are much more spare and simple than in the rest of the grounds. And the way I spotted MJK's grave in that section was that it was the only splash of bright color amongst all the gray stones, with all the flowers and other gifts people constantly leave for her. Also, just past the chapel I believe, and just before you reach that poor section, is the grave and quite impressive monument for John McCarthy.

Comment

Hello all,

Gene, the McCarthy monument, which is topped by the figure of an angel, is actually the McCarthy family monument. Several McCarthys are buried there and their names are inscribed on the sides of the monument's basis. It's virtually in front of St Patrick's main gate as you enter.

From there take the first path heading right and walk for about 5 minutes. Mary's grave is on the same row as a grave marked with the image of a child in a full footballer's outfit. Once you see it turn right and you'll soon come across Mary's grave. If you can, bring her flowers.

Cheers
                  Hook.
                  Asante Mungu leo ni Ijumaa.
                  Old Swahili Proverb

Comment

Hi Kensei and Hook
                    Thank you so much for these guidings: should not miss it now...
                    Regards
                    Gene
                    His man Bowyer

—————————————

Comment

Working...
                    X