Ripperologist 144: June 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
    Well, since you read it three times and apparently haven't found his mistakes, I guess you don't fit in the expert category.
    Hi Mike,

I don't believe I mentioned his mistakes, although I will again reiterate that I don't see Littlechild's "endorsement" of Tumblety as anything more than a suggestion to Sims that amongst the suspects Tumblety was probably the "Dr." referred to by Sims and it got muddled as it apparently passed from Anderson to Griffiths to Sims.

I agree that I don't fit into the "expert" category. The only degree I have is the elevated one I acquire working in the summertime heat.
    Best Wishes,
    Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

JM,

You don't think Gareth has insulted Tumblety researchers with his comments?

Mike
      No, I really don't.

I read Gareth as saying that students of the case shouldn't elevate the candidacy of a particular suspect based solely on the fact they have been named by a person with knowledge, such as Littlechild, Anderson,Swanson etc, since these men were fallible, and may have been influenced in the wrong direction by others whom they believed were correct. Or, conversely, they may have been steered right, which is why some of us truly are armchair detectives. We need to find out. It's important to dig as deeply as the existing evidence allows us into not only the possible motives of the named suspects, but also their accusers, so that we get as full a picture as possible into the true origins of a suspects candidacy.

Gareth does not believe Tumblety is Jack the Ripper. Neither do I. Perhaps he could have more clearly worded his editorial, but I do not read his words as an insult to Tumblety researchers, and I happen to be one, admittedly to a far lesser degree than those who have published on the man.

If Gareth comes along and states that I'm wrong and his intention was to insult a whole bunch of us then I'll grab my coat.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
        Hi Mike,

I don't believe I mentioned his mistakes, although I will again reiterate that I don't see Littlechild's "endorsement" of Tumblety as anything more than a suggestion to Sims that amongst the suspects Tumblety was probably the "Dr." referred to by Sims and it got muddled as it apparently passed from Anderson to Griffiths to Sims.

I agree that I don't fit into the "expert" category. The only degree I have is the elevated one I acquire working in the summertime heat.

Actually, Tom, JM, and Hunter, et. al., thank you. Now we're down to good ol' debate.

I see the big issue with Littlechild is he stated Tumblety was 'amongst the suspects', and Sims asked Littlechild for a reason. Sims knew Littlechild was in the know and for Littlechild to remember Tumblety so vividly, he must have been more than a nobody.

The problem I see with Gareth is he believes Scotland Yard considered Tumblety a suspect because of his 'sexual proclivities', which is not the case. Littlechild mentioned Tumblety's aversion to women for a reason, because this was why Assistant Commission Anderson was so concerned about him. He had an unusual and intense hatred in women. Note the Buffalo article in my first post.

There is more to the story in which I will be presenting later.

Sincerely,

Mike
        The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
        http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

Hi Mike,

A word to the wise.

That horse you're flogging is dead.

Regards,

Simon
          Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
            Hi Mike,

A word to the wise.

That horse you're flogging is dead.

Regards,

Simon
            Thank you, Simon. I wouldn't expect any other kind of advice from you.

Mike

Comment

What other suspect can be connected to the kidney, the heart, and the uterus?
              All of them? They all had kidneys, a heart and came from their mother's uterus.

Do I win £5?

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
              Or just visit him at his blog, which is isabotagetumbletytheories at blogspot.
              That's hilarious, Tom.

Love,

Caz
              X
              "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda View Post
                Dear Adam,

I notice that you have reviewed 'Ripped'.

Any plans to read & review 'Prisoner 4374'?

Amanda
                Hi Amanda,

There was an article on Cream in the latest Whitechapel Society mag, by someone who shares your first name.

Do I take it you have nothing else in common? Many thanks.

Love,

Caz
                X
                "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Oh Gareth ! I'm still waiting for you to show me how the subsequent research has all but absolved Tumblety.
                  Just a personal view, Mike, as is the nature of editorials - as I see them, at least. To that end, I try to write mine with the express intention of stimulating debate, not that I always succeed. Be that as it may, it was in that spirit that I wrote the piece, and my choice of phrase ("all but") was quite deliberate - there is always room for discussion! 'Tis what we're here for, after all

Kind regards, and sincere thanks for your feedback.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                    All of them? They all had kidneys, a heart and came from their mother's uterus.

Do I win £5?
                    I can't argue with you there, Caz!

Sincerely,

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                      Just a personal view, Mike, as is the nature of editorials - as I see them, at least. To that end, I try to write mine with the express intention of stimulating debate, not that I always succeed. Be that as it may, it was in that spirit that I wrote the piece, and my choice of phrase ("all but") was quite deliberate - there is always room for discussion! 'Tis what we're here for, after all

Kind regards, and sincere thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for replying Gareth. Much appreciated. I hope you enjoy my next areas of research.

Sincerely,

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                        Hi Amanda,

There was an article on Cream in the latest Whitechapel Society mag, by someone who shares your first name.

Do I take it you have nothing else in common? Many thanks.

Love,

Caz
                        X
                        Hi Caz,
                        I've just contacted the Whitechapel Society to get a copy of the review.

No idea who wrote it, but must be a coincidence that we have the same first name. I would never review my own book.

Amanda

Comment

Caz:

The woman who wrote the article in the WS1888 Journal is Amanda Harvey Purse.
                          XXXXXXX

Comment

Thank you for replying Gareth. Much appreciated. I hope you enjoy my next areas of research.
                            My pleasure, Mike - your thanks are reciprocated. I certainly look forward to seeing more of your research.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                              My pleasure, Mike - your thanks are reciprocated. I certainly look forward to seeing more of your research.
                              Sam
                              He doesn't need any encouraging !

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
                                Sam
                                He doesn't need any encouraging !
                                We all need a little encouragement now and then, Trev. Especially me!
                                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Working...
                                X