The Lusk Letter - Swanson's Transcription

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lusk Letter - Swanson's Transcription

In his report of 6th November 1888 Chief Inspector Donald Swanson transcribed the 'From hell' or 'Lusk Letter' and I don't recall that this transcription has been published before. So out of interest, here it is -

Click image for larger version

Name:	fhlswanson.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	669205

HO 144/221/A49301C f 193
    SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Hi Stewart,

Thanks for posting that. It seems that the ambiguity in the shapes of the letters in the Sir/Sor opening are present in this transcript as well. Comparing the end of that word to the "for" later in the message it doesn't look particularly like the last two letters are "or," but then the letter shapes of the I's, O's and R's here change throughout the message as well.

Dan Norder
    Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
    Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

Fascinating - and a remarkably faithful copy too, the lack of jagged pen-strokes notwithstanding.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Norder View Post
        Hi Stewart,

Thanks for posting that. It seems that the ambiguity in the shapes of the letters in the Sir/Sor opening are present in this transcript as well. Comparing the end of that word to the "for" later in the message it doesn't look particularly like the last two letters are "or," but then the letter shapes of the I's, O's and R's here change throughout the message as well.
        Hi Dan, yes, it is interesting and looks as if this transcription was written as an exact as possible copy of the original which must have been in front of the writer as he did it.
        SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Writing similarity

Wish you hadn't done that. The next thing we will have is someone saying the handwriting is so similar that Swanson must be the Ripper!!

Nice posting!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hinton View Post
            Wish you hadn't done that. The next thing we will have is someone saying the handwriting is so similar that Swanson must be the Ripper!!

Nice posting!

Now You mention it?????????

LOL
            Living the Dream!

Comment

Great item, thanks for posting that Stewart. I was wondering if anyone knew when the convention of signing handwritten letters at the bottom left of the document became in vogue.

It seems to me that perhaps the reason we see "Catch me when you can" in 3 lines is because the first line was started too close to the right border, and when he writes the second line he also aligns it towards the right side as well. Im assuming it was written to resemble the overall appearance and alignment of the original, it seems quite close.

This particular letter..not so much the sample with it, I find chilling. Its a casual letter in that its not all knife threats and blood spilling, to a Local man hunting the Ripper. It reminds me of Zodiak reaching out to validate he was a real person. The obvious difference being the Zodiak chose his own name.

Best regards all.

Comment

Thanks Stewart!

This is pure supposition and fancy, but the lip-smacking way he wrote about the knife suggest to me that it was in front of him when he wrote the letter. Given that this letter is not signed Jack the Ripper, and given its attachment, I think there is a strong possibility that this is the only communication from the murderer himself. And as I've written on other threads, I've long thought that a knife wasn't just a knife with this guy!

Comment

That's interesting what you said... "a knife wasn't just a knife with this guy!" It is his tool of choice, like a writer with his pen, a wizard with his wand. The extension of his arm.
                  Best,

LV

Comment

Originally posted by thewastelandr View Post
                    That's interesting what you said... "a knife wasn't just a knife with this guy!" It is his tool of choice, like a writer with his pen, a wizard with his wand. The extension of his arm.
                    .....or a butcher with his favourite knife, or cleaver.

Welcome wastelandr.

Are there 2 letters where the "t" in tother is?

Comment

Why thank you.

courtesy of dictionary.com...

tother
                      –adjective, pronoun Older Use. that other; the other.

Also, t'other.

Origin:
                      1175–1225; ME the tother for thet other, var. of that other the other
                      Best,

LV

Comment

Why thank you.

courtesy of dictionary.com...

tother
                        –adjective, pronoun Older Use. that other; the other.

Also, t'other.

Origin:
                        1175–1225; ME the tother for thet other, var. of that other the other
                        Actually I meant does it appear that a letter was started and overwritten with the "t" in t'other....like perhaps a small "c" or "e".....and your welcome.

Cheers

Comment

Aha, yes it does appear that way. Interesting note.
                          Best,

LV

Comment

It reminded me of watching the old "Jungle Book" with Sabu, last weekend. Mowgli got a knife and was thrilled that he had a defensive weapon, like all the other animals. He kept proclaiming, "Now I have my tooth!" I've said before that I see Jack as someone who loved his knife and cutting things up. His choice of victims was due to convenience, I think. He just wanted to play with his knife.
                            Joan

I ain't no student of ancient culture. Before I talk, I should read a book. -- The B52s

Comment

I've said before that I see Jack as someone who loved his knife and cutting things up. His choice of victims was due to convenience, I think. He just wanted to play with his knife.
                              I think you are right about the choice of victims. They were easy access women with no real protection from family. It seems like Sweeney Todd's choice of victims also - men who come in for a shave whom "no one will miss."

That is a great link back to the Jungle Book! It's such a philosophical movie.
                              Best,

LV

Comment

Working...
                              X