Richard III Petition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard III Petition

IT IS THE cold case that even DCI Cassie Stuart in Unforgotten would struggle to solve: who murdered the two princes in the Tower?

Thanks for posting this Robert

I just can’t see how a scientific confirmation that the remains are indeed those of the two Princes would either exonerate or conclusively point the finger of guilt at anyone? Even if it were confirmed that it was them and that foul play was involved how would we be any further along?
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Agreed Michael. However, if it should turn out that the remains are not those of the Princes, it would blow up Tyrell's confession.

Comment

About as conclusively as possible Robert.

It’s been a very long time since I read anything on the subject but it appears to be at least possible that Henry VII coul have been behind the deaths. Kings that win their Crown on the battlefield after a Civil War understand that their reign can be one claimant away from collapse. From memory though the Princes had noticeably disappeared considerably before Bosworth Field and so it’s more likely that they died on Richard’s watch. Then again Richard might have had them moved somewhere else?

I can’t see how this mystery will ever be solved or even advanced in one direction over another unless reliable documentary evidence turns up?

Maybe someone will dig up a diary from beneath Richard’s old bedroom containing his confession.
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

"No horse - no horse!"

I read a few books about it a few years ago and I seem to remember there was something that Richard did that made me think that he'd never have done it if he'd been guilty. Unfortunately I no longer have the foggiest idea what it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
            "No horse - no horse!"

I read a few books about it a few years ago and I seem to remember there was something that Richard did that made me think that he'd never have done it if he'd been guilty. Unfortunately I no longer have the foggiest idea what it was.
            There have been questions about the two sets of bones found in the Tower since 1678 when they were found under a staircase. Forensics did not exist in the reign of King Charles Ii (who was having sufficient problems with the current murder mystery of the day, the killing of judge Sir Edmundberry Godfrey, and the so-called "Popish Plot"). The bones were looked at in the 1930s, with then existing forensics, and the results were a bit less conclusive. The work done identifying the bones of Richard III himself five years back is now enough to show we can possibly id the bones for certain as the Princes or not. I seen lost by settling this.

Will it settle who killed the Princes? Probably not. Richard leads that pact, closely followed by Henry VII (the founding Tudor), and Richard's first supporter/later foe Henry Stafford, Duke of Buckingham, and Cardinal Morton, Henry's chief minister and hatchet man. All would have had motives in ridding the world of the two princes. I tend to think it was Henry, not Richard, because Henry VII and his son Henry VIII had a bloody track record killing heirs of Lancastrian background as threats to their thrones. Possibly they were, but more likely they were just targeted.

When are they going to dig up Harold of England? He failed at Hastings, but he kept Harold of Norway from taking over at Stamford Bridge. He deserves a good tomb too!

Comment

Very interesting article. I note the mention of Jaquetta of Luxembourg; some of my ancestors were from Luxembourg, as well. Probably not royalty, though!
              Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
              ---------------
              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
              ---------------

Comment

I'm not sure if they know where Harold was buried, Jeff. A couple of sites have been suggested, maybe more.

Comment

You're not going to lay claim to Pimlico, are you, Pat?

When an unexploded WWII bomb is accidentally detonated in Pimlico, it reveals a treasure trove and documents proving that the region is in fact part of Burgu...

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                    You're not going to lay claim to Pimlico, are you, Pat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZvLqZ4-8-M

Or Whitechapel
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

If the bones turn out to be of the Princes it will put to rest the rather romantic claim that one of them escaped. Personally I think Richard is most likely the guilty party here. Everything went just too swimmingly well for him after his brothers death - claims of an illegitimate marriage coming to the fore, his nephews illegitemised, their 'containment' in the Tower then finally their disappearance. It was a one way ticket to destruction for the Princes. We have seen similar political destruction of political rivals in every modern day dictatorship of the 20th century.

Comment

Working...
                      X