Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montague John Druitt - New Headstone on grave

Hi.

I'm new to the board so apologies if this has been posted before.

I was in Wimbourne Cemetary over the weekend.

I notice that Montague Druitt has what seems a very new headstone on his grave. I wondered if anyone new when this replaced the old one and why. See images attached.

Best Regards

Nick
    Attached Files

Hello Nick,

Welcome to the boards! And a fine start too!
    I for one have not seen this before, perhaps others were aware of this? I note the date of death at 4th December 1888.
    Thank you for posting!

best wishes

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Comment

Welcome, Nick, and congratulations on your find. Quite an accomplishment for a first-time poster.

There is a photograph of Druitt's gravestone in D J Leighton's Montague Druitt: Portrait of a Contender, Hydrangea Cottages, London, 2005. In this photograph, the gravestone is identical to the one shown in your photograph and appears to bear the same inscription. Unfortunately, only the first lines, IN MEMORY OF, are legible, not because the gravestone is worn, but because of the lighting. In your opinion, is it possible that what you saw is not a new gravestone but the old one, cleaned and refurbished?

Best regards,
      Hook
      Last edited by Captain Hook; 07-02-2012, 09:58 AM. Reason: typo
      Asante Mungu leo ni Ijumaa.
      Old Swahili Proverb

Comment

Very interesting
        The main question that springs to mind to me is "Who would have commissioned and paid for this new grave marker?" I wonder if it was family or someone else?
        Sad to report the vandalised grave of Sir William Gull in Thorpe le Soken is still showing no signs of repair or being tended
        Chris S
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Chris Scott; 07-02-2012, 10:03 AM.

Comment

I haven't seen the photo in D J Leighton's Montague Druitt: Portrait of a Contender. It is possible it is the same however, the Headstone looks to my eyes very new.

It looked to be made of unpolished marble which i guess would be farly expensive. Perhaps the Druitt family had it replaced as i believe the family still have ties in Wimbourne.

Nick

Comment

Hi Nick,

I haven't seen John Leighton for quite a while but I'll try to contact him with a copy of your photograph to see what he thinks. I don't expect members of the Druitt family to be particularly keen on us Ripperologists.

Cheers
            Hook
            Old Swahili Proverb

Comment

here's how the grave marker used to look
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Chris,

That looks very similar, there is a slight chip on the bottom left hand side of the second tier. I think it may well have been cleaned and refurbished.

If it has been, they have done a good job because it looks as new.

Best Regards

Nick

Comment

Hi

The two headstones look identical to me. Any new documentaries being made I wonder? Could be a clean up, as in Chris's photograph the lettering isn't very clear.

Observer

Comment

Hello Chris,

Thank you for this photograph. It is far clearer than what I'd seen in John Leighton's book and confirms that the new gravestone is identical to the old one in terms of design and inscriptions. Yet I, for one, can't say whether the material is the same. This one doesn't look like made out of marble but of stone. The question remains whether what Nick photographed is the old gravestone cleaned up and refurbished or a new one.

Cheers,
                    Eduardo (aka Hook)
                    Old Swahili Proverb

Comment

Hi Nick

I don't know whether you noticed or not but the two gravestones to the left of Montague Druitt's are identical to his. Are they members of the Druitt family? If they are they have not been cleaned.

Regards

Observer

Comment

Hello Observer,

Good point. Indeed, the gravestone closest to Montague Druitt's on the left side seems to bear the surname "Druitt". I can't make out the first name.

Cheers
                        Hook
                        Old Swahili Proverb

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
                          here's how the grave marker used to look
                          Hello Chris,all,

Pardon me for asking, but as my eyes are not as good as they were, can you see the No. "4" on the old gravestone? (as in Died Dec 4 1888)

best wishes

Phil
                          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Hi Hook

You have good eyesight! It appears as if the clean up process is Ripper related.

Regards

Observer

Comment

Originally posted by Observer View Post
                              Hi Hook

You have good eyesight! It appears as if the clean up process is Ripper related.

Regards

Observer
                              Hello Observer,

As in a documentary in the pipeline perhaps? Abberline's grave is in the same cemetery I believe.

best wishes

Phil
                              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
                              X