Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Wickerman 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Simon Wood 4 hours ago.
General Discussion: My profile of the ripper - by Wickerman 4 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Wickerman 4 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Wickerman 4 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Simon Wood 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (27 posts)
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - (13 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - (3 posts)
General Discussion: My profile of the ripper - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Thompson, Francis

Old 03-15-2015, 06:14 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
To me the distance between each murder were not as important as the directions that Ripper headed.
"given that they are true and equidistant" -- well are they? really? and why is this claim to 'given' equidistance suddenly unimportant?

And how do we get to him being "the most likely suspect" when he can't be placed in the area at the time of the murders? Simply not knowing where he was won't do. Because it proves nothing. Showing that he was in the area a year or a month before or after won't do either, to make such a definitive claim. Saying it's "possible" he was a suspect is about as good as gets, and in the realm of possibility there's a lot of great points for Thompson being one.

But the "most likely"? Not yet. And some of these supportive arguments are circular tripe.

It's also very convenient to nudge Mary Kelly out of the 'pattern' so the other four fit.

Last edited by Ausgirl : 03-15-2015 at 06:41 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:15 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
Proof that it was Deeming perhaps.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:34 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausgirl View Post
"given that they are true and equidistant" -- well are they? really? and why is this claim to 'given' equidistance suddenly unimportant?
'given that they are true and equidistant.' I never said that they need be true or equidistant to make a Vesica Pisces, only in the symmetrical Figure 8 shape I demonstrate. A general compass point and any distance will still make the Vesica shape with the intersecting directional lines as they cross from one point to the next.

"Jack the Ripper, The Works of Francis Thompson"

http://www.francisjthompson.com/
Old 03-15-2015, 06:49 AM
Sergeant

But it says "given that they are true and equidistant" in really big letters on your diagram?

Is that not correct? Is it not then "given"?

Martha Tabram was also thought to be a Ripper victim in 1888. Was she not one? Does her present popular absence from the canon prove she was not? or does she just not fit the pattern, for some obscure handy reason, like Mary Kelly?
Old 03-15-2015, 07:04 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
But it says "given that they are true and equidistant" in really big letters on your diagram?

Is that not correct? Is it not then "given"?

Martha Tabram was also thought to be a Ripper victim in 1888. Was she not one? Does her present popular absence from the canon prove she was not? or does she just not fit the pattern, for some obscure handy reason, like Mary Kelly?
Given when a perfectly proportioned figure 8 figure is achieved when all the points are equidistant and true. In the case of the murders even a disproportionate figure 8 is still a Vesica Pisces. One needs only to draw originating from one precise murder location to another. The transecting lines would still form a Vesica Pisces.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:14 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Patterson View Post
Given when a perfectly proportioned figure 8 figure is achieved when all the points are equidistant and true. In the case of the murders even a disproportionate figure 8 is still a Vesica Pisces. One needs only to draw originating from one precise murder location to another. The transecting lines would still form a Vesica Pisces.
Or the dagaz rune.

Or a route taken due to police beats.

Or a random path that is easily, if "subtly" able to be shoehorned into a theory.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:20 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Or the dagaz rune.

Or a route taken due to police beats.

Or a random path that is easily, if "subtly" able to be shoehorned into a theory.
Maybey but all still Vesica Pisces, a symbol that was a central motif for Thompson by forming compass direction headings, in the manner espoused as by him.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:33 AM
Detective

I saw some toast once that had the Virgin Mary burnt into it. I see here an arrow, a number 6, or upside down 9. (Ooo mysterious) I'm sorry but if he was trying to leave symbols then I don't see why he wouldn't have carved it or left clear symbols with each of his victims. Then he would have had mini figure 8s inside of the larger figure 8. Infinity inside Infinity.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:36 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_F View Post
I saw some toast once that had the Virgin Mary burnt into it. I see here an arrow, a number 6, or upside down 9. (Ooo mysterious) I'm sorry but if he was trying to leave symbols then I don't see why he wouldn't have carved it or left clear symbols with each of his victims. Then he would have had mini figure 8s inside of the larger figure 8. Infinity inside Infinity.
Perhaps he did. With Catherine Eddowes there was on each side of cheek a cut which peeled up the skin, forming a triangular flap about an inch and a half.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:04 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Patterson View Post
Perhaps he did. With Catherine Eddowes there was on each side of cheek a cut which peeled up the skin, forming a triangular flap about an inch and a half.
Then that weakens his case as being the ripper and strengthens it for only Eddows. If he is going to put these symbols on one he would do it on all his kills.

My point is not that he isn't a viable suspect. It's that this is a silly angle to take to add strength to him as a suspect. Bring facts and evidence and I can promise you, people will take it far more seriously than this.

Last edited by Dane_F : 03-15-2015 at 10:07 PM.