Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Batman 21 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Batman 2 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Did Mary Kelly meet the Bethnal Green Botherer? - by Abby Normal 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Abby Normal 3 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Did Mary Kelly meet the Bethnal Green Botherer? - by Wickerman 3 hours ago.
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - by Trevor Marriott 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - (48 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (34 posts)
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - (17 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Did Mary Kelly meet the Bethnal Green Botherer? - (3 posts)
General Discussion: A broken down masher - (1 posts)
General Discussion: My profile of the ripper - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Thompson, Francis

Old 03-05-2015, 04:40 PM
Sergeant

Default Thompson was not Normal.

Does any believe that Jack the Ripper, a person who killed at least five women, was an otherwise normal fellow? Francis Thompson was anything but. We cannot sure he was ever in a relationship. He could not hold a steady job. He tried to commit suicide. He had a disquieting love for small girls. He was a drug addict who was disowned by his family. He has a history of arson Much of his poetry shows a fixation on death and dying. The only story he wrote was about a man who stabs a woman to death. His only play was about the killing of a woman because she was a Prostitute. He was a conspiracy theorist who was fascinated in the occult. He was homeless. He mingled with murderers. He claimed to be a magician and to have prophetic powers. If I'm accused of writing so much that he was abnormal it is only because he was. This is as we would expect with a candidate for someone who cut the throats of several women and removed their bodily organs.

"Jack the Ripper, The Works of Francis Thompson"

http://www.francisjthompson.com/
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:41 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Patterson View Post
Does any believe that Jack the Ripper, a person who killed at least five women, was an otherwise normal fellow? Francis Thompson was anything but. We cannot sure he was ever in a relationship. He could not hold a steady job. He tried to commit suicide. He had a disquieting love for small girls. He was a drug addict who was disowned by his family. He has a history of arson Much of his poetry shows a fixation on death and dying. The only story he wrote was about a man who stabs a woman to death. His only play was about the killing of a woman because she was a Prostitute. He was a conspiracy theorist who was fascinated in the occult. He was homeless. He mingled with murderers. He claimed to be a magician and to have prophetic powers. If I'm accused of writing so much that he was abnormal it is only because he was. This is as we would expect with a candidate for someone who cut the throats of several women and removed their bodily organs.
Barring the disturbing fetish for young girls, you are describing me and my friends with eerie accuracy. And I'm not being flippant. I hang with a very odd crowd, and I fit right in.

I am always very hesitant to point to some aspect of a person's day to day life and say "that tells us this person was a serial killer". Because unless he constantly had blood on his cuffs for no reason, nothing tips us off. Remember that ascribing normal or abnormal character traits to serial killers to justify an accusation is the same thing as confronting a victim with those character traits and asking them why they didn't avoid that person or run. It's a trap society fell into with rapists, and since it is fundamentally incorrect we don't need to pass that on to serial killers. Never mind the fact that it's about even odds that Jack went around killing people with no discernible change in his demeanor. Some serial killers in fact get very happy and relaxed after they start killing, because it takes a load off. Which also happens with divorce and the decision to commit suicide, so it seems safe to say that any major life changing decision is freeing once made.

You may be right that he's the killer, but there are so many other explanations for most of that behavior that we cannot specify a cause. Of course one explanation that fits almost all of those is in there on your list. Addiction. His behavior and his dark mindset could easily be a product of substance abuse. And in fact usually is.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've taken a long enough break from writing lyrics for my friend's production of Super Friends: The Musical and I'm not kidding there either.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:29 PM
Sergeant

No argument here, he was an odd sort of bloke alright.

Now put him in the immediate vicinity of Whitechapel/Spitalfields, during the period of the murders - with some actual proof of it - and you might be cooking with gas.

Your argument that serial killers don't lead outwardly normal lives is absolute nonsense, though, and is proven so by a number of famous serial killers who have done exactly that.

In fact, the clever ones are generally quite good at it.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:16 AM
Superintendent

Not normal =/= serial killer

I should know.