Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 7 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Batman 8 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 9 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 16 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 22 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 32 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - (77 posts)
Non-Fiction: Swanson: The Life and Times of a Victorian Detective - (1 posts)
General Discussion: Mary Kelly Jack the Ripper celebrity ghost box session interview - (1 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: The Nihilist Club ie. Berner Street - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Shades of Whitechapel

Old 03-03-2008, 02:15 AM
Commisioner

Since I mentioned the Alphabet Murders movie, here's the best movies about the cases I listed where there is one.

10-Don't know of any
9--None that I know of
8--The Boston Strangler (1968) There have been a few other films about this case but they're not high budget like this movie. One was even made while the crimes were still going on.
7--Not to my knowledge
6--Haven't heard of any
5--Zodiac (2007) There have been several movies about these murders but none quite up to this one and a couple that are really dreadful.
4--Know of none
3--Frenzy (1972) Only loosely based on the killings but it's all we have as far as I'm aware.
2--The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976) Great low budget fun. There is a movie about the case called The Moonlight Murders that's due out this year but I doubt that it will top this one.
1--Torso (2009) Obliviously, I haven't seen this in the works film but it's supposed to be directed by the guy who did Zodiac - Seven - Panic Room - Fight Club so I have great expectations.

I don't know of any for the Colonial Parkway murders either.

Stan Reid
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:55 AM
Banned

how about the killing of the two sisters and brother (murphy?) in new zealand? australia begginning of century? i asked here last year about the details,someone enlightened me about the names location etc..now i forgotten again years since read the book....didnt they make a film of it too?
Old 03-03-2008, 04:15 AM
Commisioner

Hi Dougie,

That's the Gatton Mystery and I put it on the non-serial killer thread. I don't know of a movie but I hope there is one.

Stan Reid
Old 03-03-2008, 04:29 AM
Banned

stan
thanks ,yeah the gatton mystery, it might have been you who enlightened me first time....i think its fascinating case ,cant really seem to find much about it ,other than that "gatton mystery" book. not sure about the movie, but if they didnt make one-they should.
regards
Old 03-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Detective

I have a list of what I like to call "History's Most Wanted". I thought is sounded catchy. There are other cases I'm interested in, but they're either solved, or pseudo-solved. I'll list them after the top ten, which comes in no particular order:

1.) Jack the Ripper
2.) Bela Kiss
3.) Axeman of New Orleans
4.) Cleveland Torso Murders
5.) Black Dalia
6.) JonBenet Ramsey
7.) Zodiac
8.) Dan (D. B.) Cooper
9.) Texarkana Moonlight Murders
10.) Jack the Stripper

Others I'm interested in are:
Lizzie Bordon
JFK
RFK
MLK
Son of Sam
Boston Strangler
Charles Manson
Old 03-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Constable

Default Gatton murders

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie View Post
stan
thanks ,yeah the gatton mystery, it might have been you who enlightened me first time....i think its fascinating case ,cant really seem to find much about it ,other than that "gatton mystery" book. not sure about the movie, but if they didnt make one-they should.
regards
Hi. No movie has been made about the murders but it would be fascinating. Only 2 books I'm aware of. One was printed in the early 80's or late 70's by 2 brothers one of whom was a barrister. Cant' think of the name of it or them. They finger the butcher's man who read Reinzi, was living close to the murders and who was named by a boy driving past.

I always thought that was pretty much it.

But Stephanie Bennett wrote a book called "the Gatton Murders" MacMillan 2004 and she has done a lot of really good digging into the social mores of the time and the town but i can't agree with her conclusion.

I've been to the Murphy siblings' graves a few times and am related quite a few times back to some of the players in the story. The horror and shock has never gone away even after over a century.

There are a lot of people who would really like to know who done it.

Cheers

Old 03-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by detective abberline View Post
Hi. No movie has been made about the murders but it would be fascinating. Only 2 books I'm aware of. One was printed in the early 80's or late 70's by 2 brothers one of whom was a barrister. Cant' think of the name of it or them. They finger the butcher's man who read Reinzi, was living close to the murders and who was named by a boy driving past.

I always thought that was pretty much it.

But Stephanie Bennett wrote a book called "the Gatton Murders" MacMillan 2004 and she has done a lot of really good digging into the social mores of the time and the town but i can't agree with her conclusion.

I've been to the Murphy siblings' graves a few times and am related quite a few times back to some of the players in the story. The horror and shock has never gone away even after over a century.

There are a lot of people who would really like to know who done it.

Cheers

Am i remembering correctly that the father was named as a suspect at one time?
interesting that youve visited the graves, did you visit the murder site...and if so is it much as it was back then,or built over or whatever?
regards
Old 03-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Commisioner

I wrote a little about the case in a magazine article 6 years back. There was some suspicion that more than one perpetrator was involved if I recall. There was also a report that the young man who died had very recently engaged in some sort of sexual activity which sounds rather mysterious. Was he forced to do something or had he been caught doing something?

Stan Reid
Old 03-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Commisioner

P.S.

Maybe this should be another thread, however:

Yes, some have tried to point the finger at the father. You also have the other sibling who, for whatever reason, decided not to ride home with the ill-fated three after the aborted party. And what about a canceled Boxing Day party? That sounds a little funny too. Also, why was the horse killed as well? So many questions

Stan Reid

Last edited by sdreid : 03-04-2008 at 04:45 AM.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:09 AM
Commisioner

Bela Kiss is an interesting choice because it's really only officially unsolved. There's virtually no doubt that he was guilty. The biggest mystery is how did he elude justice.

Stan Reid