No announcement yet.

The FBI Profile of Jack the Ripper & it's usefulness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a useful tool, but not a tool based on any insight about any particulars of the crimes. I used to work for a profiler. Profiling, despite coming from "soft scientists" is in fact math. Based on the truth that there is very little new in the universe. Nothing Jack the Ripper ever did was unique to the point that statistics could not be compiled. Other people did those things, got caught, and yielded information that is the basis for these conclusions.

To draw a paralell, the contributors to this board are white, late 30s-50s, male, Christian, British, middle to upper middle class, married with children. Why do I say that? Well, the Ripper murders happened to white people in England. So people interested in it are far more likely to be white and British. Gruesome murders appeal more to males than females. Most people are Christian. People younger than late thirties tend to use computers for far more personal interactions, but above the age of 60 become less likely to own a computer. Most people in that age range are married and have children. And lower class individuals tend not to have home computers, while high class individuals tend to be less interested in the plight of poverty stricken 19th century whores. That is how a profile is built. And it's a good profile for any contributor to this message board.

Of course, I say this as a white, Jewish, American, lower class, unmarried and unchild-ed woman who has been on this board since her late 20s.

So... statistically the profile is dead on. But any profiler will tell you that people are not statistics, and even in statistics outliers happen all the time.

The reason it's a useful tool is that it allows law enforcement to understand the type of person they are likely dealing with. This way they don't accidentally enrage a narcissist, but can do it to suit their purposes. A profile doesn't tell you who did it. A profile tells you what the suspects potential weaknesses are. In the case of this profile, his weakness is his inability to conceal his psychopathy, and his relationship with his parents. A killer like Gein could be convinced to turn himself in if there is a cop on tv talking about how terribly disappointed his mother would be in him. The man in this profile could be drawn out in a rage by talking about how much his mother is disgusted with him, how she would be making fun of him for this weakness. Every piece of information in the profile is valuable, but it doesn't draw a map to the killer. It lets you set traps, warn the appropriate victim pool, make better guesses as to where he runs to, and help interview him when he is caught. But it's statistics. Not laws. Just like I'm not a 45 year old British dude.
    The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

secure

Hello Sir John. Was Hanbury secure?

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

Ah!

Hello GUT.

"no profiler has ever done anything like an extensive study of the case but has relied instead on snippets of information and assumptions that many would challenge."

Now you're talking.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post

Cheers.
          LC
          Hello Lynn,

If Annie's killer was Jack and if indeed he was a serial killer, the desire to kill might take priority over security.

c.d.

Comment

seguridad

Hello CD. Thanks.

It might indeed. Of course, Sir John's observation involved security. I was merely pointing out that there seems little at Hanbury.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Cheers.
              LC
              I think he thought so.

I don't think Jack was a criminal mastermind. Annie probably chose the place herself, like it's some spot she "worked at" before.

Like I said in another thread, I like the possibility that the only uninterrupted murder committed by JtR was MJK.

That is, if we accept the idea of a single killer for the C5 or +
              Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
              - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

lunatic

Hello Sir John. Thanks.

"I think he thought so."

Hmm, must have been a lunatic to think that.

"That is, if we accept the idea of a single killer for the C5 or +"

For which I see no reason.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

By that definition whoever it was must have been a lunatic to have killed on the landing of George Yard Buildings, Mitre Square and Castle Alley.
                  I see a pattern forming.

Comment

Hello CD. Thanks.

It might indeed. Of course, Sir John's observation involved security. I was merely pointing out that there seems little at Hanbury.

Cheers.
                    LC
                    Only one avenue of escape, but also only one avenue of approach by a potential threat - and the killer was armed with a knife. Escape was a near certainty to my mind; recognition would be the greater risk.
                    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

recognition

Hello Colin. Thanks.

Recognition? Just look out a back window.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

Hello Colin. Thanks.

Cheers.
                        LC
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	260px-29Yard.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	665642
                        Which window would afford a view of a man crouched over a body by the steps? One the way in he could always abort the killing if seen. On the way out he would not be challenged - no-one would know a murder had taken place. Minimal risk unless he was seen and recognised IMHO.

Comment

Hello Colin. Thanks.

Cheers.
                          LC
                          I wouldn't be at all sure you could see daylight out of those windows.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

windows on the world

Hello Colin. Thanks.

Well, the one almost directly above the door might do. Don't forget that her head was not quite to the steps and she was about 5 feet. So the view from there should be unimpeded.

Oh, and those next door might do nicely too.

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

knowledge

Hello Jon. Thanks.

Even if true, not sure the killer would have known?

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

Hello Colin. Thanks.

Well, the one almost directly above the door might do. Don't forget that her head was not quite to the steps and she was about 5 feet. So the view from there should be unimpeded.
                                What is the likelihood of something putting their head out of the window and looking downwards in the middle of the night or very early morning?

Oh, and those next door might do nicely too.

Cheers.
                                LC
                                Could you look out of that window and see a man standing in the yard of No.29? If he was a six-footer perhaps but somebody of the height of the man seen by Mrs Long? I would have thought not. Even if you saw the man, you wouldn't see the body so how much notice would you take? Cadosch seems to have been up and about, even walked through the door and down the steps - but saw nothing.
                                I can see that it's possible that he might be seen, but highly unlikely surely?

Comment

Working...
                                X