No announcement yet.

The London of Jack the Ripper - Robert Clack and Philip Hutchinson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thankfully no one has seemed to notice that I put Rose Mylett as having a son, when in fact she had a daughter.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
      Thankfully no one has seemed to notice that I put Rose Mylett as having a son, when in fact she had a daughter.
      ...that's OK, Rob. She was a bit of a geezer-bird by all accounts
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Very well said, Dan. Two great guys and a wonderful book.
        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
          Very well said, Dan. Two great guys and a wonderful book.
          Just read what Dan wrote, Stephen, and I echo your appreciation of it. Dan - that was a splendid post on all counts, sir.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Two GREAT Guys who are always worth a ruck (!) with!!....... When I've finished my own personal ruck with the plumbers and the rat man (aaaaaaaaaaaagh!) will be back on the case!!!!! (and ......BUY THE BOOK!!) AND if it was a theorist number it could stay safely Amazoned!!!.......BUT as it is it's a bookshelf MUST have!!!!

Ooops Rob never mind re Rose..........I suppose Mrs P could have had a small black and white 'terrier' of some sort!!!! lol
            Last edited by Suzi; 02-19-2008, 11:03 PM.
            'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

I agree with Dan's comment. The place for a "discussion" of this is in the Druitt section of these boards. However, I do think it appropriate here in this thread about Phil and Rob's book to document what must be regarded as a questionable statement. That's all I am doing. I only repeated it because my original comment was lost in the crash.

I am a little miffed that Philip should have said nothing during all the previous discussion and now suddenly take me to task for the number of my posts on the subject. If he thought I was making too many posts about it why not say so earlier, before those posts mounted? But I realize that I miffed him first, so I guess we are even.

I intend to say no more about it in this thread unless someone speaks first in response to my comments.

Comment

Dan,

And, seriously (OK, I guess I will sing its praises some), anything anyone can do to continue to support and encourage Rob and Philip in gathering up new information and photos for the benefit of the whole field is a good thing. They are among the relatively small but dedicated group of people who don't have agendas to push and who are genuinely interested in facts about the case and the era just for the sake of the knowledge. If you've read these boards for a few years you have already seen examples of them changing previous views on topics when new information came in (often from sorting through the minutia of maps and plans that most of us don't have the patience to wade through ourselves) and unselfishly sharing images and so forth at no profit to themselves just for the sake of getting them out there so others can appreciate them. They put a lot of effort into it, so when they do put part of the fruits of their labors for sale in a format far more convenient than just unsorted computer files (and we can see from the recent server crash here how transient those can be sometimes), I strongly encourage people to both show their support and get a great new addition to their bookshelves in the process.
                Never have I read a post that contains so much truth. Not just Rob and Phils work, but John Bennett, Colin Roberts and some hookey Finnish chap called Jake. Ive learnt so much stuff about the Whitechapel area from those Guys in the past few years, more than I had done in the previous twenty or so.

And this book is now what I would deem essential. Ive used it a few times with reference to an article Im working on.

I do see Andys point yet feel it probably would have been wiser to either initially approach the authors privately or set up a more specific thread. However, Im not Andy, lucky Andy eh?.

Like Dan says, seems a shame over one line. I mean, what if I pulled them up on the refridgerator line?.....dont worry Phil, Robs already pinned the blame on you over that one.

Seriously, and quite simply, its a fantastic book. And yes, I am biased. I tend to be when really $hit hot books hit the market.

Monty
                Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

I think Philip and Robs work is a master piece, more so when we compare it to what has come before.
                  Don't get me wrong, I love the work that Richard Jones put into "Uncovering Jack the Rippers London", the photo's were extremely atmospheric and the text informative but "Now and Then" does what it says on the tin (or cover).

It illustrates what any particular area was like back then and what it is now, which when you are walking around these areas is a grand idea.
                  Whitechapel High Street is a prime example with it's Hallal Chicken shops, and Sari clothes shops. Not to mention hundreds of stalls selling "Best of Bollywood" and "Now thats what I call Bollywood", in fact I almost walked past Woods Buildings due to the multicultural hubbub.

To me it is a modern equivelant of what it would have been like back then with the mass influx of migrants.

Anyway, through the book I was able to find places that I would have walked past, it has clearer pictures that the "Highways and Byeways" and has much better information than the "Louis London JTR Walk"

I look forward to a revised addition in several years time, when there are hover cars parked on Bucks Row, and virtual reality market stalls!
                  Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                    I think Philip and Robs work is a master piece, more so when we compare it to what has come before.
                    Don't get me wrong, I love the work that Richard Jones put into "Uncovering Jack the Rippers London", the photo's were extremely atmospheric and the text informative but "Now and Then" does what it says on the tin (or cover).

It illustrates what any particular area was like back then and what it is now, which when you are walking around these areas is a grand idea.
                    Whitechapel High Street is a prime example with it's Hallal Chicken shops, and Sari clothes shops. Not to mention hundreds of stalls selling "Best of Bollywood" and "Now thats what I call Bollywood", in fact I almost walked past Woods Buildings due to the multicultural hubbub.

To me it is a modern equivelant of what it would have been like back then with the mass influx of migrants.

Anyway, through the book I was able to find places that I would have walked past, it has clearer pictures that the "Highways and Byeways" and has much better information than the "Louis London JTR Walk"

I look forward to a revised addition in several years time, when there are hover cars parked on Bucks Row, and virtual reality market stalls!
                    Damn right Mike,

The people change, some of the buildings do, but the activities such as trading, stalls, hubbub etc remains.

Monty
                    Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                      Like Dan says, seems a shame over one line. I mean, what if I pulled them up on the refridgerator line?.....dont worry Phil, Robs already pinned the blame on you over that one.
                      That's my fee for the glowing review in RNE I gave your piece in RIPPEROLOGY, Monty.

PHILIP
                      Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                        Dan,

I do see Andys point yet feel it probably would have been wiser to either initially approach the authors privately or set up a more specific thread. However, Im not Andy, lucky Andy eh?.
                        Just a word of explanation as to why I took the approach I did. The general structure of these boards has been that for each book or periodical issue a thread is established that contains comments and brief reviews. My post was intended to be was offered in that vein and thus was and is, I believe, appropriate. That post also contained much praise for this most excellent book. Approaching the authors privately first would not have been a bad idea but, frankly, it didn't occur to me. Neither have I ever had a reviewer of my work approach me privately before a review. When I saw that my comment was beginning to take over the thread (which was not my intention), I quickly established a new thread in the Druitt area for continued discussion. I just fail to see where I did anything amiss here. I make plenty of blunders all the time but I just don't think this was one of them.

Comment

Phil,

Ah yes, I remember it well.

Monty
                          Monty

Comment

Andy,

I was merely pointing out what Id do, no judgement on you at all mate.

Sorry if I was not clear.

Monty
                            Monty

Comment

I quite understand, Monty. No offense taken.

Comment

Hi Folks!

There`s only one thing I`d like to say:

I love this book!
                                I`ve never been in London to visit the places related to the ripper-murders - but with this stuff at hand, there will be no problem to do so.

Damien

PS: To be honest - the only reason I wrote this post was to say "Hello! I am the newbie!"...the authors may forgive me
                                So here I am (some of you may know me from another place ). It`s nice to be here at last!

Comment

Working...
                                X