No announcement yet.

Dutfields Yard interior photograph, 1900

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, it very quickly turned into exactly what I was expecting it to turn into.

Ally, this is not a thread to congratulate me. Believe me, I have had kudos heaped upon me way beyond what I think I deserve. After all, I bought a photo. That's all my contribution boils down to. This thread is here firstly so people know there is an image of Dutfields Yard (look, if I hadn't done it then someone else WOULD have done) and secondly it is here for people to ask me questions about it.

Are you seriously suggesting that just because people haven't seen it there can't be any questions? Jeez, I've been doing research on it for a whole year now. People can ask me what can be seen, what can't be seen and everything about how I came to own it, where it comes from, what we know about the woman, how I know the date... loads of things.

Stan - I'm sorry you deem the retention to be a spit in the face. Throughout my entire time on Casebook I have acquired and openly shared virtually everything I came across with board members. I think only Rob Clack and SPE have done more in that respect. To call it such because it is one amazing and rare picture is very closed minded. I will have it published as soon as I am able.

I don't want this thread derailed by the usual childish bitching and squabbling. If you want to slag this off, go ahead. I will respond to serious questions and I don't care too much for nastiness should it deteriorate into that.

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Phil just has this strong streak of showmanship about him -and operates a bit like a conjuror ,so he is beguiling us with his precious find and the intriguing story that surrounds it . Phil is keeping his treasure hidden from most of us,right now , but he is tweaking our curiosity so that we keep looking forward to the time when he can persuaded let us all see it.I"m ok with that.

Hey there! I"ve just read your response Phil.So many of us have shared information ,documents , photos on here. Stewart is exceptional I agree ,in sharing his enormously wide collection of historical documents,but there isnt really any other hierarchy of contributors that I know of.
      Last edited by Natalie Severn; 10-13-2008, 10:02 PM.

Comment

It's not like he's doing an Anderson here and saying "I know, but I shall never tell." Nice find, Sir Phil - I look forward to seeing it when the time comes. In the meantime, you have my email address and I'm completely trustworthy! Nyah hah haaaah!

Cheers,
        B
        Bailey
        Wellington, New Zealand
        hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
        www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
          I'm assuming it will be published in a book, or the like, rather soon otherwise it feels a bit like a spit in the face.
          That is my entire post. If that makes me "very closed minded" then so-be-it.
          This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Philip, could you tell us about this rich woman photographer then, please?

Comment

When?(again)

Hi again Phillip
              I hope you don't think I was being smart by asking when it would be published but I'm just genuinely interested when you think this treasure will finally be seen by us all
              All the best and congrats BTW
              Steve

Comment

Hi Philip,

I remember how we were talking earlier in the year about the possibility of new photos coming to light. And here you are with a new one! When you get the chance, will you tell us how it all came about? I think that would be interesting. Hopefully there are more out there yet to be found and to astonish us.

Bestest,

Cel
                "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

A measure of Rob and Phils generosity.

Not many people know this but Rob and Phil instantly granted me permission to use photos from their then upcoming book for my talk at last years conf.

It was the first public showing of photos from the Whitby collection. They didnt have to, could have kept them for the book, and I for one am grateful for their unhesitating aid given to me over these past few years.
                  Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

I will also add that neither uttered a word of complaint when I erred and omitted to acknowlege their photos after Id finished.

Phil doesnt need to explain his actions, especially when all will be revealled in due course.
                    Monty

Comment

The best things come to those who wait! Its not like Ripper stuff is found every single day - savor the excitement. And I want to know about the rich lady too - could she have possibly been a Rockefeller, a Duke, or a Getty?

Comment

Hi,
                        I applaud anyone who by chance, or sheer hard work, comes across unseen photographs of victims, or. locations.
                        So it only follows that I congratuate Philip on his enterprise, however I have never appreciated the 'All we be revealed' tactics, as a certain alleged poster of McCarthy ancestry revelled in, with the footnote 'Rich pickings are not a intention'
                        I can only voice my opinion, that Philips contribution to Casebook is well known , and he would rightfully get full reconition for a photograph appearing on this site, of Dutfields yard interior, mayby not the way of expecting financial benefits, but speaking for myself, monetary comes a distant second to any historic evidence, that comes to light.
                        Just my opinion folks , and not a go at Phil.
                        Regards Richard.

Comment

Just as an FYI, I dropped Philip off at the airport about an hour ago, so he probably won't get a chance to respond here for a while.

Dan Norder
                          Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
                          Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

Devoting an "entire" thread to a discovery such as this doesn't seem out of line. Even if it turns into just a congratulatory exercise, the subject is much more enthralling than the countless Sickert, Diary, or MJK facial reconstruction threads. Congratulations Phil and those who have had the priviledge to see it, in the mean my imagination is constructing what the photo might look like.

Comment

Gristle,

Its very similar to the Furniss picture. Taken on a sunny day, from Berner st towards the yard, people (Men, women, children) lining up on the pavement either side of the gates. Quite a clear photo and you would instantly be able to identify it.

Monty
                              Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                                Its very similar to the Furniss picture. Taken on a sunny day, from Berner st towards the yard, people (Men, women, children) lining up on the pavement either side of the gates. Quite a clear photo and you would instantly be able to identify it.
                                For reference, on a previous incarnation of the boards, Robert Clack posted (January 13, 2005 - 4:39 pm) a contemporary illustration (I assume the Pictorial News one that Philip mentions) and the Furniss one, and also a plan (January 13, 2005 - 5:41 pm) by Goad, I assume:

From these illustrations, it certainly seems plausible that Furniss's five (or is it four?) doors mostly originated as windows in the contemporary illustration.

Comment

Working...
                                X