Dutfields Yard interior photograph, 1900

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dutfields Yard interior photograph, 1900

Argh - I made a huge long post and the system logged me out and when I re-entered the password it has all been wiped off. I've got to do it ALL again.

I'm a few hours from leaving Knoxville, but when I get back to the UK I know I will be too tired to do anything on this for a couple of days.

Those of you following the 2008 Conference Thread will know I discovered something which I spoke about during my talk. It lasted over an hour, so there's too much to deal with here and, besides, I'm planning a book on it. Please don't ask to see the photo. I won't be posting it. I am happy to show it to people face to face and I may put up some details from it on the boards, but I won't be putting up the whole image. This is purely to retain my association with it. If I put it up, it would be in magazines and books without me having any control on its use. I've done dozens and dozens of hours work on this over the last year. I'm not bothered about getting rich on it, I just want to retain my name with any use of it (besides, the one that will be seen is restored by me filling in cracks, chips, flakes and sorting out shading, brightness, colour saturation etc, which means I DO actually own copyright on it in spite of its age). Yes, it's for the sake of my ego but, I think, a small price to pay for what the image is.

It is a photograph taken in late June or early July 1900 from Berner Street looking right down into Dutfields Yard. It was taken by a very rich American woman. I have a photo of her and I know everything about why she was in the UK, when she travelled, what she did afterwards - everything, it seems, except who she is. This work is still ongoing and may never yield the perfect answer.

The image was bought off eBay a year ago. I was the only bidder for this photo sold as SCENE OF THE WHITECHAPEL MURDERS and obtained it for $4.95 from a US seller named Larry Lingle. When it arrived, so much clearer than the eBay page, I made enquiries with people like Rob Clack, Jake Luukanen and Colin Roberts to ensure I had what I thought I had. And I have, without the smallest shadow of doubt.

It is taken on the street, low down, looking right down the length of the yard. Locals are lining the yard, smiling to the camera. The murder spot has no one standing on it. The photographer and locals clearly knew why she was there. You can clearly see the door and windows of the IWEC (which had relocated by 1900) and Suzi - there are two cats in the doorway.

At the end of the yard you see the cabinet makers' on the upper floor. Two men in aprons are in the doorway. There is a large lamp affixed to the wall by the cottages (not seen) behind #42. There is a stopper in the middle of the yard where the gates close (railed like in the 1909 shot by 1900). You can see the roofline of buildings we know were in Back Church Lane in the distance.

This image is significant for several reasons :

1) It is the earliest known Ripper tourist photograph (it is still Victorian)
    2) It is the only known photograph of the murder spot of Liz Stride
    3) It was the final missing piece of the jigsaw to find images of all the murder spots of the Macnaghten Five.

It looks very like the illustration in the Harold Furniss FAMOUS CRIMES series. However, the stairs at the back of the yard are on the other side of the building (confirmed by the 1889 Goads map, in spite of what The Pictorial News of 1888 and Furniss drawing of 1903 show, begging the question did Furniss actually get the illustrations from old newspapers and not as they looked in 1903 after all) and, of course, there is only one door into the IWEC - not five like the Furniss indicates! Those others are, of course, windows.

I would like to thank those people who knew about the photograph who kept it to themselves as I had asked.

Feel free to ask questions.

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

When?

Hi Phillip
    This is very interesting.I know it's probably too early to say but when are we likely to see it published?
    All the best
    Steve

Comment

I'd have to agree that the only question of relevance is "when will it be published". Because otherwise, it's pointless to even have a thread on it. It's a photograph. People can't discuss what they haven't seen and no one can determine whether they think it's relevant without seeing it for themselves. So congrats on your find, everyone can tell how excited you are by it, but I just don't know what questions people are expected to ask or what's supposed to be discussed....

Let all Oz be agreed;
      I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Real quick-like:

I see your point Ally. It's got to be frustrating for folks who haven't seen it yet. On the other hand, we've had threads on photo finds sans the photos many times.

The most recent I can think of is the Rip's Tumblety photo, which was buzzed about quite a bit before it came out, and plenty discussed afterwards, without the photo appearing online.

Perhaps we are limited in what we can discuss (we'll see), but at the very least Philip deserves a thread so everyone can congratulate him on his excellent find.

-Kelly

Comment

Philip.

Finally! I can talk about it. As one of the lucky few who has already seen it I can confirm its as you describe.

I know the research that you have conducted has been as thorough as it can be given the limited info you where given.

The photographer is quite interesting, who is she? why was she taking a photo of the yard? did she take other photos?

Good spot mate.
          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
            Finally! I can talk about it. As one of the lucky few who has already seen it I can confirm its as you describe.
            Phew! Same here.

So, folks, it's not Mary Kelly's retina. Or Cadosche on the loo. Shame.

Comment

Sorry I really have to disagree, Kelly. Tim Riordan didn't make an entire thread to say I found something, most of you will never get to see it, but here's a thread so you all can discuss what you aren't going to get to see. And the Tumblety photo was made available to anyone who wanted to view it through Ripperologist. So you could view it and then discuss it. Even if it didn't appear online, it was available to all who wanted to view it.

I am not saying Phil shouldn't be congratulated, clearly he should and I did. But congratulations can be made via private message if that's really the only point of the thread. I mean..there wasn't a congratulate Tim Riordan thread (though maybe there should have been for the simple fact he shared his find and didn't keep it hidden "for the sake of [his] ego"....LOL!! At least Phil's honest about it, and I do love honesty!) And really, how many people respond to "I know something you don't know" with "congratulations"! Well I do, but it's generally sarcastic.

Phil has made it clear he won't share the photo. I respect his decision and I wouldn't try to convince him to change his mind. And I am happy for him that he is clearly over the moon and insanely delirious about his discovery. But he's not going to share it, and that sort of puts to bed any actual discussion until such time as the photo does appear in a printed format that is accessible and can be commented on. Once it's out there, I am sure we'll all have things to say, but until then....???

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

To the contrary, Ally, Philip' has already shared it, both at the conference and in private with a number of people. Certainly they can all discuss it here.

And certainly people can discuss things even if they haven't seen it yet, as Philip is more than willing to share information about it. People routinely discuss movies that have not been released yet, books and journal articles that are upcoming, and so forth.

And the idea that "most of you will never get to see it" is absurd. Everyone will get a chance to see it. (In fact everyone already had a chance, in that the conference was open to registration to anyone and everyone who wanted to attend.) Philip has said he will publish it just as soon as he can do so in a way that will most effectively prevent people from just stealing it and reusing it themselves. It's odd to suggest that there's nothing to discuss until then.

Dan Norder
                Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
                Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post

It was taken by a very rich American woman. I have a photo of her and I know everything about why she was in the UK, when she travelled, what she did afterwards - everything, it seems, except who she is. This work is still ongoing and may never yield the perfect answer.
                  Hi Philip,

Does this explain your interest in determining the exact date of the US 1900 Census?

Have a good flight back and if you encounter a rude flight attendant again remember the Irish saying: "Don't get mad - get even." File a complaint with the airline.

Wish that I had been able to make it to Knoxville...

Bulldog

Comment

I'm assuming it will be published in a book, or the like, rather soon otherwise it feels a bit like a spit in the face.
                    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

I wonder how many people remember it clearly from the conference? Enough to recall details? Enough to make an educated discussion about it? To suggest that discussing a photograph you haven't seen isn't odd is ...odd. What are we going to discuss? Oh it's the yard? How many cobblestones are in it? Can you see bloodstains on the ground?

And suggesting that the conference made it publicly available is kind of daft. A one time showing at an event that would have cost hundreds of dollars for people to attend is NOT making it open to the public.

I am sure it will be published soon, but like I said, I am not sure exactly what can be discussed if people have only gotten a chance to look at it briefly and not in any great detail.

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post
                        I am sure it will be published soon, but like I said, I am not sure exactly what can be discussed if people have only gotten a chance to look at it briefly and not in any great detail.
                        Well, it would be interesting to know more about the mysterious photographer, especially if she has yet to be identified.

Comment

Hi John- As you say a REAL bummer(!) re Cadoche!!! I love the image of the Police Illustrated News neatly torn on the side of the wall!!!

I'm sure that time will tell with this one...fascinating though Suz xx
                          'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Me thinks I have heard this before!

As Keith Skinner said at the UK Liverpool Conference when asked questions about his new book, which was actually the book launch so no-one had seen it or read it - his reply was 'READ THE BOOK'.

Coral
                            Last edited by coral; 10-13-2008, 08:59 PM. Reason: wrong town!

Comment

Well I tend not to be disconcerted by egos - egos are OK. But I'm not a very visual person so discussing a pic I've never seen of a place I've never been leaves me nothing much to glean - if you know what I mean.

Comment

Working...
                              X