Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Ben 1 hour and 20 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Ben 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Ben 2 hours ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by Spitfire 4 hours ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by Spitfire 5 hours ago.
General Discussion: Do you think it will be solved? - by Mayerling 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (30 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (5 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - (5 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (4 posts)
General Discussion: Do you think it will be solved? - (3 posts)
Non-Fiction: The Whitechapel Murders of 1888: Another Dead End? - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries

Old 01-12-2017, 09:12 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
Wasn't the car hired nearly a month after Maddie's disappearance?
that is correct. the theory being they hid her dead body somewhere and then later used the rented car to move it.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:02 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
that is correct. the theory being they hid her dead body somewhere and then later used the rented car to move it.
I don't think the McCann's would have been so smugly confident if they thought there was a chance that Maddie's body could be found - this is why I think her body was dumped far out in the sea.

The McCanns knew that tracker dogs were being used in the hunt.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:31 PM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Hayes View Post
Put your 'gear' in a bag and hire a boat. It's a seaside resort.

You can't tell me that the person they hired the boat from wouldn't have come forward. It's not like the case wasn't publicised.

The DNA was inconclusive. No buts .... There isn't anything else to say on that. It's either her DNA or it isn't! My point was, it wouldn't be a surprise to find Madeline's, or anyone else from the family's, DNA in the car. It's not a case of 'Maddie's DNA is in the boot - she must have been transported that way'.

Of course it raises suspicion - the whole thing stinks - but my point is that everything at this point is inconclusive.

Their other two children will read everything they can about their sister on the internet - maybe even this site - & will realise how lucky they are & wonder whether their parents are good parents. Only time will tell whether this will affect them mentally in years to come. Whatever they think, there will always be that small doubt in their minds ....
I'm slightly confused about the DNA I'll admit. Legally it's inconclusive, but my understanding is it's not possible to say whether it's hers or not, and it might be. It had 15 of her 19 peaks, which is good enough for a court in many countries, but the complication was that up to three people could've contributed to that profile, and those same peaks could've resulted from a mixed sample of Kate and Gerry's. That, at any rate, is my layman's understanding of what I've read, and I'd welcome confirmation or correction from someone more knowledgeable on that subject - did it definitely come from three people, or was it merely a possibility? If it did come from three people then is the presence of 15 peaks corresponding to Madeleine's DNA definitively a mere coincidence? If it came from three individuals then could one of the individuals be Madeleine or is that impossible? I'm not a DNA guy.

Your point about the twins is well made and very poignant. I hope they thrive and prosper. Hopefully their age at the time gives them an advantage in moving past the tragedy.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:31 AM
Detective

Default TED Talk: Body Language and the McCanns

Check out this fascinating little video which uses a TED talk on body language and lying in relation to the behaviour and language of Kate and Gerry McCann.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvU9fgMi3Kw
Old 01-14-2017, 12:29 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
Check out this fascinating little video which uses a TED talk on body language and lying in relation to the behaviour and language of Kate and Gerry McCann.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvU9fgMi3Kw
Thanks for posting that, it was very interesting, especially if you scroll along to 5.25 - the part where Kate tells us that Maddie woke up the previous night crying. Doesn't that tell us something? My theory is the parents weren't going to risk that happening again - they were intending to go out on the razzle with their mates again that evening as well.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:52 AM
Sergeant

Another thing I noticed from that video - when the interviewer asks the McCanns how they feel each time somebody announces they think they've seen Maddie - Gerry gives a subconscious, almost imperceptible smile - he knows she's dead.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:42 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisa View Post
Another thing I noticed from that video - when the interviewer asks the McCanns how they feel each time somebody announces they think they've seen Maddie - Gerry gives a subconscious, almost imperceptible smile - he knows she's dead.
Louisa,
Yeah that was very disconcerting.
A clear sign of cocky arrogance.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:39 PM
Commisioner

I think the argument that the McCann's sedated their three year old child is completely untenable. I mean, even over the counter sedatives can be dangerous, and generally shouldn't be taken by anyone under the age of 16 (although Nytol is licensed to be taken by children over 12 in some countries-not the UK). To suggest, therefore, that two doctors, would knowingly put their 3 year-old's life at risk simply because they fancied a night out is totally ludicrous unless, of course, it's to he argued that they were both psychotic!

Last edited by John G : 01-15-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:49 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
I think the argument that the McCann's sedated their three year old child is completely untenable. I mean, even over the counter sedatives can be dangerous, and generally shouldn't be taken by anyone under the age of 16 (although Nytol is licensed to be taken by children over 12 in some countries-not the UK). To suggest, therefore, that two doctors, would knowingly put their 3 year-old's life at risk simply because they fancied a night out is totally ludicrous unless, of course, it's to he argued that they were both psychotic!
I could be wrong I haven't followed the case that closely. But didn't the McCann's themselves admit to using something to send there children to sleep?
Old 01-15-2017, 01:53 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheat View Post
I could be wrong I haven't followed the case that closely. But didn't the McCann's themselves admit to using something to send there children to sleep?
Hi John,

No, they actually denied ever giving their children sedatives. Kate's father did say that they sometimes gave the children Calpol, but the active ingredient in this medication is paracetamol which, of course, is not a sedative.

Last edited by John G : 01-15-2017 at 01:58 PM.