36 Berner Street...............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
    According to Booth's researcher in June, 1887, the occupier of 36, Berner Street was a railway carman who had 'been laid up for some time'. William Mortimer died in March, 1889, aged 49, so he may well have been continuously ill between 87 and his death.
    In Sept 1887 a 29 year old single woman named Margaret Curtis had also been living at 36 Berner Street for 12 months. I wonder if it was in multiple occupation, or maybe Fanny took in lodgers to help pay the rent while her husband was laid up?

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
      In Sept 1887 a 29 year old single woman named Margaret Curtis had also been living at 36 Berner Street for 12 months. I wonder if it was in multiple occupation, or maybe Fanny took in lodgers to help pay the rent while her husband was laid up?
      Debs,

There was another family, the Wilsons, there in 1891.

What do we know about Margaret Curtis?

Comment

I wonder how she came to be living on her own means by 1891. Perhaps old man Piggott had a few bob.
        Last edited by MrBarnett; 12-16-2018, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Debs,

There was another family, the Wilsons, there in 1891.

What do we know about Margaret Curtis?
          I found her. She was one of the SGE inmates picked up by Debs because they had lived at case-related addresses.

Interestingly, after leaving 36, Berner Street she lived for a while at 26, Princes Square, which was the location of the Bridge of Hope Refuge run by Mary Steer. For good measure it was directly opposite Liz Stride’s Swedish Church.

And didn’t Tracy I’anson find a Schwartz connection to that same address?

Comment

I found her. She was one of the SGE inmates picked up by Debs because they had lived at case-related addresses.

Interestingly, after leaving 36, Berner Street she lived for a while at 26, Princes Square, which was the location of the Bridge of Hope Refuge run by Mary Steer. For good measure it was directly opposite Liz Stride’s Swedish Church.

And didn’t Tracy I’anson find a Schwartz connection to that same address?
            I think the Schwartz connection to the address at Princes Square was much later in date?

Comment

I think the Schwartz connection to the address at Princes Square was much later in date?
              Yes, it was. I think the house was still part of the Refuge in 1887.

Comment

There were one lodger plus a married couple at #36 in 1881.

Comment

I believe that Israel Schwartz lived at 22 Ellen Street (having just moved there on the day of Stride's murder).
                  Last edited by The Station Cat; 12-19-2018, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
                    I believe that Israel Schwartz lived at 22 Ellen Street (having just moved there on the day of Stride's murder).
                    As did Irishman John McDuell and his family.

Comment

As did Irishman John McDuell and his family.
                      Merry Christmas debs!!
                      "Is all that we see or seem
                      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                        Merry Christmas debs!!
                        Thanks, Abby. Merry Christmas to you too.

Comment

Working...
                        X