No announcement yet.

36 Berner Street...............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to the National Archives site, this photo is of a Jacob Minsky at 32 Christian St. No date is given. However there is apparently another photo featuring him at a workshop in the same street, dated circa 1910.

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
      Something else that I wasn't aware of. I wonder whether that's the man himself outside the shop?
      As just posted, this doesn't appear to be Julius but Jacob Minsky. Might be related though; if the 1910 date is correct, perhaps his son?

Is there a list of members of the Berner Street club? I wonder whether any Ritzler's were members? I believe they came from Germany originally. But I'm not sure whether they were Jewish or not.
      I did once try to compile a list of those mentioned in the press as being members, but it's far from definitive, or complete. I don't think there were any Ritzlers though.

General discussion about anything Ripper related that does not fall into a specific sub-category. On topic-Ripper related posts only.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
        As just posted, this doesn't appear to be Julius but Jacob Minsky. Might be related though; if the 1910 date is correct, perhaps his son?

I did once try to compile a list of those mentioned in the press as being members, but it's far from definitive, or complete. I don't think there were any Ritzlers though.

https://forum.casebook.org/showthrea...hlight=Members
        Jacob was certainly there in 1911. Aged 34, so unlikely to have been running a business in 1888.

Comment

Jacob died in 1924, but seems to have lingered in the directories until at least 1938.

Comment

Here's the other pic. I guess Jacob would be at the back on the left.

Taking cultural theorist Michel de Certeau's notion of 'the everyday' as a critical starting point, this book considers how fashion shapes and is shaped by everyday life. Looking historically for the imprint of fashion within everyday routines such as going to work or shopping, or in leisure activities like dancing, the book identifies the 'fashion system of the ordinary', in which clothing has a distinct role in the making of self and identity. Exploring the period from 1890 to 2010, the study is located in London and New York, cities that emerged as as socially, ethnically and culturally diverse, as well as increasingly fashionable. The book re-focuses fashion discourse away from well-trodden, power-laden dynamics, towards a re-evaluation of time, memory, and above all history, and their relationship to fashion and everyday life. The importance of place and space - and issues of gender, race and social class - provides the broader framework, revealing fashion as both routine and exceptional, and as an increasingly significant part of urban life. By focusing on key themes such as clothing the city, what is worn on the streets, the imagining and performing of multiple identities by dressing up and down, going out, and showing off, Fashion and Everyday Life makes a unique contribution to the literature of fashion studies, fashion history, cultural studies, and beyond.

Comment

Rob,

Was it a trimmings shop at the front and a workshop at the rear, do you think?

Gary

Comment

I have no idea, Gary. All I know of tailoring is that trousers ride up with wear, supposedly.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                  I have no idea, Gary. All I know of tailoring is that trousers ride up with wear, supposedly.
                  There are no flies on you.

Comment

According to Booth's researcher in June, 1887, the occupier of 36, Berner Street was a railway carman who had 'been laid up for some time'. William Mortimer died in March, 1889, aged 49, so he may well have been continuously ill between 87 and his death.
                    Last edited by MrBarnett; 12-16-2018, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                      According to Booth's researcher in June, 1887, the occupier of 36, Berner Street was a railway carman who had 'been laid up for some time'. William Mortimer died in March, 1889, aged 49, so he may well have been continuously ill between 87 and his death.
                      Working for the LNWR’s main agent, Charles Lechmere was also a ‘railway carman’. Perhaps he and Bill were ex-colleagues/mates and CAL occasionally popped in with a few grapes to cheer his old mucker up.��
                      Last edited by MrBarnett; 12-16-2018, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                        Was it a trimmings shop at the front and a workshop at the rear, do you think?
                        Here's the blurb from the NA website;

"Tailor's workshop of Harris Chaimofsky, Christian Street, London, c.1910. Harris Chaimofsky is at the right. Standing at the back (left) is Jacob Minsky, visiting the workshop at the time the picture was taken"

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                          Here's the blurb from the NA website;

"Tailor's workshop of Harris Chaimofsky, Christian Street, London, c.1910. Harris Chaimofsky is at the right. Standing at the back (left) is Jacob Minsky, visiting the workshop at the time the picture was taken"
                          Ah, so it’s his neighbour’s workshop? Perhaps it was the Minsky family who donated both photos to the NA.

Comment

After William's death, Fanny Mortimer nee Skipp married David Piggott in 1893. By 1901 she's a widow and living with her son John Mortimer. Ditto 1911. I think she died 1918.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                              After William's death, Fanny Mortimer nee Skipp married David Piggott in 1893. By 1901 she's a widow and living with her son John Mortimer. Ditto 1911. I think she died 1918.
                              She moved to Poplar and was living on her own means by 1901.

Where was she in ‘91?

Comment

36 Berner St (F Mortimer).

Comment

Working...
                                X