Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    Introducing Joseph Levy, aka "Double-back Man". Doubling-back from his walk with Lawende and Harris to kill Catherine Eddowes, then doubling-back again from his home to deposit the apron in Goulston Street.

Doesn't really work for me.
    ... or me. It makes for a not very likely solution.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
      ... or me. It makes for a not very likely solution.
      Wrong levy. It is easy to make that mistake. Don't worry.

We are not talking about Joseph Hyam Levy, the witness.

We are talking about Jacob Levy, the insane butcher, who lived up the road from him.
      Last edited by Batman; 12-12-2018, 01:46 PM.
      Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

• Originally posted by Batman View Post

We are not talking about Joseph Levy, the witness.

We are talking about Jacob Levy, the insane butcher, who lived up the road from him.
        I know that, I am familiar with Tracy Iansons work on Jacob.

Comment

• Jacob Levy ran what was his Uncle's butcher shop near the top (north) of Middlesex Street (practically in the heart of the Petticoat Lane Market.)

So yes, he was well-off compared to others.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
            I know that, I am familiar with Tracy Iansons work on Jacob.
            Yet above and from prior posts it seems you were going along with Sam on this being Joseph Levy and not Jacob Levy we are discussing.

I am sure Sam would be familiar with that work, as are many of us.

I am referencing Mark King from 1999.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
              Jacob Levy ran what was his Uncle's butcher shop near the top (north) of Middlesex Street (practically in the heart of the Petticoat Lane Market.)

So yes, he was well-off compared to others.
              That's the thing about being well-off. It's relative to those around them and relative to others, he would have been.

I was thinking about Abby's question but overall I don't think JtR had to be a rich man to be dressed as per Hutchinson's description. He just had to have access to these articles of clothing and other items through which there are a number of avenues and a good amount of time between Eddowes and Kelly to get that done IF JtR was reacting to witness descriptions.

Comment

Yet above and from prior posts it seems you were going along with Sam on this being Joseph Levy and not Jacob Levy we are discussing.

I am sure Sam would be familiar with that work, as are many of us.

I am referencing Mark King from 1999.

https://casebook.org/suspects/jacoblevy.html
                No, I am going along with Gareths suggestion that it is not likely that JACOB would have doubled back twice. Incidentally, JACOB is the only of the two Levy´s who would fit that take.
                I have no idea what you mean by prior posts of mine pointing to any trouble on my behalf to tell the two apart. Maybe you can enlighten me on the point?
                Last edited by Fisherman; 12-12-2018, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                  You're looking at this as the crow flies. Why couldn't the killer have taken a circuitous route back home? Something or someone may have put him off taking the direct path.
                  Absolutely true, I AM looking at it the way the crow flies. That is not to claim that the killer could not have taken a circuitous route (or a rectangular, square or half-moon shaped) route.
                  It is just that once we make these kinds of suggestions, then Goulston Street clue becomes worthless. We may just as well say that the rag was tossed there by a guy who lived in Rotten Row, but who made a bulbous turn into Whitechapel after killing Eddowes.
                  Its not that such a thing is impossible, not at all - but as I say, it puts the Goulston Street clue to shame. And as I remember it, the whole idea was that Jacob Levy´s home was on a direct route between Mitre Square and Goulston Street. That was what made people all very optimistic about his status as a Ripper suspect.
                  What happens to that optimism if we don't ascribe any genuine value to the placement of the rag, Harry?

Comment

We are not talking about Joseph Hyam Levy, the witness.

hi Batman

I don't think it has been conclusively proven that Jacob levy was Joseph Hyam Levys cousin has it?
                    "Is all that we see or seem
                    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                      hi Batman

I don't think it has been conclusively proven that Jacob levy was Joseph Hyam Levys cousin has it?
                      From what I have read so far this is an unknown.

Levy is a common surname at the time I would think.

Comment

From what I have read so far this is an unknown.

Levy is a common surname at the time I would think.
                        Ok thanks!
                        Yes very common.

IMHO until its not an unknown then jacob levy is pretty much a non starter for me.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Ok thanks!
                          Yes very common.

IMHO until its not an unknown then jacob levy is pretty much a non starter for me.
                          You wouldn't even need the same surname to apply that same reasoning to any suspect though. Even Kozminski for example. Until it is shown he is not related...

Comment

You wouldn't even need the same surname to apply that same reasoning to any suspect though. Even Kozminski for example. Until it is shown he is not related...
                            Not sure what your point is. Koz has a definite connection to the case.
                            Unlike levy...unless of course its proven he was josephs cousin, but even so it would still be a tenuous connection to the case at that.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Not sure what your point is. Koz has a definite connection to the case.
                              Unlike levy...unless of course its proven he was josephs cousin, but even so it would still be a tenuous connection to the case at that.
                              Can you please explain why you are asking if they are related then? Because being related isn't part of the case for Jacob Levy that I have been citing.

I thought you are objecting to the possibility of them being related and therefore there is some problem with that for you and until you know, it's all a non-starter.

Comment

• Seems they could be cousins though.

Comment

Working...
                                X