Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post

Besides, whether fish and chips were wrapped in newspaper or paper of some other kind, they would not resemble an American Cloth parcel, and they wouldn't have been tied up with a strap. It would have been a case of tucking the bundle under your arm, clutching it in your hand, or sticking it in your coat, and away to go.
    They wouldn't have supplied plates either for people to carry their food back with, but people carry their food back on plates, they brought.

Inquest: Alice Mackenzie
    [Coroner] Had you seen any one? - I had not. There was not a soul in the alley that I saw. After I saw the body lying on the pavement I heard a footstep coming from Old Castle-place, and I saw a young man, named Isaac Lewis Jacobs. I said, "Where are you going?" He said, "I am going to Wentworth-street to fetch something for my supper." At the time he was carrying a plate in his hand. Jacobs came back with me and stayed there until the sergeant arrived.
    A strap is what we are talking about. A small loop that is easy to make into a sling hitch. Brought.
    Last edited by Batman; 12-03-2018, 03:55 AM.
    Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

There must have been plenty of shabbily dressed men with facial hair and blotchy complexions living in the area. Astrakhan Men less so.
      I doubt he would wear Astrakhan, ever again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Batman View Post
        I doubt he would wear Astrakhan, ever again.
        But what about before Kelly's murder? There'd have been people who would have known of men who owned and occasionally - or frequently - went about wearing an Astrakhan coat, gold watch chain and/or horseshoe tie-pin. I can't imagine there'd have been too many of those in the neighbourhood.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

They wouldn't have supplied plates either for people to carry their food back with, but people carry their food back on plates, they brought.
          We're talking about cheap paper, not something as (comparatively) expensive as a plate. You don't bring your own paper to the chippy.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
            Private establishments, clubs, beer houses, etc., could stay open longer.
            Which explains why Lawende and company left at 1:30am

Comment

But what about before Kelly's murder? There'd have been people who would have known of men who owned and occasionally - or frequently - went about wearing an Astrakhan coat, gold watch chain and/or horseshoe tie-pin. I can't imagine there'd have been too many of those in the neighbourhood.
              Either he was dressing down for those instances or dressing up for the Kelly one.

Comment

We're talking about cheap paper, not something as (comparatively) expensive as a plate. You don't bring your own paper to the chippy.
                Fine, but one could easily bring a strap if one is bringing a plate. You do know across Europe that in various countries people carry they lunches in different ways even today?

Comment

Fine, but one could easily bring a strap if one is bringing a plate. You do know across Europe that in various countries people carry they lunches in different ways even today?
                  Why would anyone, anywhere, bring a strap to wrap a packet of fast food?
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Why would anyone, anywhere, bring a strap to wrap a packet of fast food?
                    For the same reason, they use straps carrying lunches home across various European places.

It's hot.

Edit: Here is a modern version of what I am talking about.

and another.

These would have been makeshift in the past.
                    Last edited by Batman; 12-03-2018, 04:22 AM.

Comment

For the same reason, they use straps carrying lunches home across various European places.

It's hot.
                      Fish and chips are warm, not exactly hot, and the paper they come wrapped in is perfectly capable of insulating the user from the faint risk of third-degree burns. Indeed, on a cold, rainy night, a fish supper tucked under the arm is truly one of life's great comforts.

Scenes in History that Never Happened, #82:

"Where are you going, darling?"

"I'm off to buy us a take-away"

"Don't forget your chip strap!"

---

Give it up, man.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Fish and chips are warm, not exactly hot, and the paper they come wrapped in is perfectly capable of insulating the user from the faint risk of third-degree burns. Indeed, on a cold, rainy night, a fish supper tucked under the arm is truly one of life's great comforts.

Give it up, man.
                        If you experienced this then you know all too well, that a single layer of newspaper is going to be useless with greasy hot fish and chips. You get 'layers' plural. You might even be asked if you want it double/triple wrapped.

I doubt in 1888 Whitechapel that Chandlery keepers would be so generous as to multiple wrap take-away foods in a newspaper.

If they were doing this then how do you explain people taking their plates there to get food?

Comment

If you experienced this then you know all too well, that a single layer of newspaper is going to be useless with greasy hot fish and chips. You get 'layers' plural. You might even be asked if you want it double/triple wrapped.

I doubt in 1888 Whitechapel that Chandlery keepers would be so generous as to multiple wrap take-away foods in a newspaper.

If they were doing this then how do you explain people taking their plates there to get food?
                          You don't take oilcloth and a strap to wrap fish and chips. In fact, you don't take anything; the chandler (or chippie owner) wraps it for you, and has a supply of paper - newspaper or otherwise - for this very purpose.

Give it up. It's a silly idea.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Scenes in History that Never Happened, #83:

"Where are you going, darling?"

"I'm off to buy some rancid fried food from a poor man's chandler's shop in Thrawl Street. Don't worry, I've got my chip-strap ready this time."

"Well don't forget your gold watch chain, silver tiepin and astrakhan coat. You'd better take this sheet of oilcloth, too, in case they've run out of paper."
                            Last edited by Sam Flynn; 12-03-2018, 05:15 AM.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

You don't take oilcloth and a strap to wrap fish and chips. In fact, you don't take anything; the chandler (or chippie owner) wraps it for you, and has a supply of paper - newspaper or otherwise - for this very purpose.

Give it up. It's a silly idea.
                              You don't take anything?

We already demonstrated that they did.

PC Walter Andrews is evidence people brought things to collect their hot food in/on.

Inquest: Alice Mackenzie
                              [Coroner] Had you seen any one? - I had not. There was not a soul in the alley that I saw. After I saw the body lying on the pavement I heard a footstep coming from Old Castle-place, and I saw a young man, named Isaac Lewis Jacobs. I said, "Where are you going?" He said, "I am going to Wentworth-street to fetch something for my supper." At the time he was carrying a plate in his hand. Jacobs came back with me and stayed there until the sergeant arrived.

Apparently, if some people doubt Hutchinson existed, that means that take away parcels at night, can't be hot fish and potatoes wrapped up and suspended by a strap.

That's what is being argued against and obviously, there are NO BARRIERS what-so-ever to this happening.

Comment

You don't take anything?

We already demonstrated that they did.
                                You demonstrated that some people took something. But some people is not everyone and something isn't "anything".

If you want to buy fish and chips (dressed in your astrakhan coat with gold watch and horseshoe tiepin, naturally) you might take a plate, or possibly your own paper (why, I don't know), but you don't take a sheet of oilcloth and, regardless of what the food is wrapped in, you don't secure it with a strap. The idea is ridiculous.
                                That's what is being argued against and obviously, there are NO BARRIERS what-so-ever to this happening.
                                Common sense is a pretty good barrier, in my experience.

Why can't you accept that the brainwave you had that Mr Astrakhan's taking a sheet of oilcloth and a strap to buy fish and chips is vastly unlikely, instead of banging on and on and on about it?
                                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Working...
                                X