Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - by Sam Flynn 3 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by caz 3 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Sam Flynn 6 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by caz 23 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by rjpalmer 23 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - by Abby Normal 25 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - (31 posts)
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - (11 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Most Ridiculous Theory - (10 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Did Mary Kelly meet the Bethnal Green Botherer? - (2 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (1 posts)
Non-Fiction: Jack and the Thames Torso Murders: A New Ripper? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Lechmere/Cross, Charles

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #701  
Old 11-19-2018, 07:52 AM
MrBarnett MrBarnett is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Romford
Posts: 2,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Hi Caz
well if hes more commonly used lechmere in his daily life and with the people who knew him its possible he was trying to do that. or if not guilty to just keep the more common name out of it. God knows if i had a different name I could have used all the time Ive gotten in trouble I would have used it. lol.
Or perhaps there were those who knew him by his name but knew little or nothing else about him?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #702  
Old 11-19-2018, 07:53 AM
Batman Batman is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarnett View Post
My opinion is about Baxter, it is not aligned to anything or anyone else.

So the findings of an inquest can be ‘overruled’ without a second inquest? Is an amended death certificate then issued? What is your main source for Chapman?

What does ‘Why do you call you peer-reviewed’ mean?
Good for you for not going with Fisherman on this one.

Homicide by persons unknown or something like that is the conclusion of these inquests. It's what the jury agreed on.

The details of Nichols death got revised for Chapman's inquest.
__________________
Bona fide canonical and then some.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #703  
Old 11-19-2018, 07:58 AM
Premium Member
caz caz is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Devon UK
Posts: 6,390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Hi Caz
well if hes more commonly used lechmere in his daily life and with the people who knew him its possible he was trying to do that. or if not guilty to just keep the more common name out of it. God knows if i had a different name I could have used all the time Ive gotten in trouble I would have used it. lol.
But would you have used your real first and middle names and given not one, but two addresses where you could be found? Or would that be more like something a child of six might do?

How much more trouble would you have been in with whoever paid you a call [as in visited either address] and found you had lied to them about your surname, but stupidly not about the rest?

Fish's argument that Lechmere would not have been trying to fool the police in this way [because it wouldn't have worked had they checked - obviously] doesn't wash, because the police would not have known this, and he could hardly have explained who he was trying to fool and why:

"Oh sorry, officers, I never intended to deceive you, or to put you to any trouble working out who the hell I was, when Pickfords denied employing anyone called Cross. I used that name to deceive the missus/my relatives/my friends/my workmates, so they wouldn't associate me with the murder and suspect I had something to do with it."

"Right you are then, Mr Lechmere. It's our turn to apologise, because as a result of our enquiries at the addresses you provided, your missus and your workmates now know all about it, and they also know you gave us a false name. Would you like to fill out this compensation claim form?"

Love,

Caz
X
__________________
"Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov



Last edited by caz : 11-19-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #704  
Old 11-19-2018, 07:59 AM
Batman Batman is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarnett View Post
Bats,

You gave us the following instructive little lecture:


We see this in pseudo-scientific presentations a lot. Finding the earliest peer-reviewed papers on the matter and disregarding subsequent publications that amend or even change the findings of the earlier ones.


Have you been cutting and pasting from the most up to date Chapman data do you think?

Pot calling kettle black?

MrB
I have no problem being corrected with the right information and facts at all. It's when people are presented with such and then being in denial over it, that it's a problem... for them.

The issue here is Fisherman not wanting to accept revised findings by the Coroner on Nichols because it doesn't match his suspect driven orientation on the murders. That's why there is so much historical revisionism trying to paint Cross a 'suspect'.

Do you accept the revision? Or do you think JtR has swapped his MO and Signature after Nichols?
__________________
Bona fide canonical and then some.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #705  
Old 11-19-2018, 08:12 AM
Paddy Goose Paddy Goose is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 174
Default

Batman, before this goes any further, it's only fair to tell you Fisherman had his own TV show, too.

Paddy
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #706  
Old 11-19-2018, 08:21 AM
Batman Batman is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy Goose View Post
Batman, before this goes any further, it's only fair to tell you Fisherman had his own TV show, too.

Paddy
Lemme guess 'Witness to the Execution Chamber' Season 2, episode 4 - Zapruder's modified gun-camera.
__________________
Bona fide canonical and then some.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #707  
Old 11-19-2018, 08:30 AM
Paddy Goose Paddy Goose is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
Zapruder's modified gun-camera.


Angling with Fish it was called. In Sweetish
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #708  
Old 11-19-2018, 08:36 AM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
Ad hominem, Abby.

Put your own personal prejudices aside. Both Anderson & Swanson named Kosminski as the suspect identified by a witness who refused to testify. That's a damn sight more going for him than Lechmere.
hi harry
yes as did McNaughton-that's why I have Koz in my top tier of valid suspects-even ahead of lech as a matter of fact.

but he did not get off on a technicality. after the fact wishful thinking by a known braggart. seen talking to a victim who the witness even admitted he wouldn't recognize again.
I wouldn't call that a lot more than lech who was seen near the victim freshly killed.

but I see your point-he is mentioned by three cops and is the only one where there is any shred of evidence. which is why, against my instincts I still have to put him up there. Rob houses book was excellent and also helped made me consider him.
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #709  
Old 11-19-2018, 08:37 AM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarnett View Post
Or perhaps there were those who knew him by his name but knew little or nothing else about him?
exactly
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #710  
Old 11-19-2018, 09:02 AM
Premium Member
caz caz is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Devon UK
Posts: 6,390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
Fish's argument that Lechmere would not have been trying to fool the police in this way [because it wouldn't have worked had they checked - obviously] doesn't wash, because the police would not have known this, and he could hardly have explained who he was trying to fool and why...
Another point worth making here is that Lechmere would not necessarily have known if the police checked the records at Pickfords and learned that he had given them a false name in connection with his claimed discovery of the murder victim. For all he could have known at the time, the police might well have decided to keep this intelligence to themselves and to ask Pickfords not to mention it to the carman while enquiries were ongoing. No sense in alerting a potential suspect that they might be onto him, when they knew enough to keep a discreet eye on him instead. He must surely have realised that they might check, and what they would find out about him if they did. But he couldn't rely on them coming back to him and asking for an explanation for the false name, even if he had a convincing one up his sleeve. He could only cross his fingers and hope they wouldn't bother checking.

So the argument that he wasn't using a false name to hide anything from the police is specious, because - as we are constantly being asked to acknowledge - the very use of one would immediately arouse suspicions that the user has something to hide. How could Lechmere, under such circumstances, have had the first clue that the police a) wouldn't find out that he had used a false name; or b) hadn't already found out, within a day of his coming forward as Charles Cross; or c) were not keeping tabs on his movements to and from home and work, thanks to his own stupidity in giving them both addresses alongside a false name?

Love,

Caz
X
__________________
"Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov



Last edited by caz : 11-19-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.