Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - by Wickerman 3 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Did Mary Kelly meet the Bethnal Green Botherer? - by Wickerman 4 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Did Mary Kelly meet the Bethnal Green Botherer? - by Wickerman 4 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by DJA 5 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by packers stem 5 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - by c.d. 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - (75 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: distances between kills.odd - (15 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (9 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - (7 posts)
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - (5 posts)
Levy, Jacob: Jacob the Ripper - (5 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Lechmere/Cross, Charles

Old 11-17-2018, 09:55 AM
Superintendent

The reason I brought up Crow was to illustrate a comparative model to Cross. In the end, Crow is just another casual witness to JtR's crimes and if investigators are to be given a smidgen of our benefit of the doubt that they have set of brains, then they would have checked the claim Crow made that this particular spot is too dark to see details with someone lying there.

If not journalists looking to poke holes in a story.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:18 AM
Sergeant

This "route to work" and "lives in the district "argument is/are not really good.If Lechmere walked to work 5 days a week or more through the district,that's about 20 days a month and he found victims only at the end of the month and 8-9 - August 31,September 8,September 30,November 8-9 (8 if Blotchy,which to me was).The odds are about 30-2 or about 20-2 (minus weekends).I do not believe it,everyday there must have been streetwalkers..Stride,Eddowes.Cox and Kelly did not "care" there was a killer roaming about.It's overwhelming the killer was a visitor to the district,comes at the end of the month until or and at about the end of first week 8-9,leaves the district and comes back again at the end of the month.It left most undercover cops/most patrols/dossers/rumors/house-to-house search negligible.Tabram at 7 of August could have been a victim.

-----
Clearly the first human laws (way older and already established) spawned organized religion's morality - from which it's writers only copied/stole,ex. you cannot kill,rob,steal (forced, otherwise people run back to the hills,no towns).
M. Pacana

Last edited by Varqm : 11-17-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:26 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
...or perhaps a likelier answer is that the murder overlapped with the route of a random carman. Sorry, two random carmen.

Is pettifogging the usual practice for Lechmere apologia?

I'm willing to bet any number of those fellas had troubled upbringings, absent parents, diagnosed/undiagnosed mental problems, etc. We know this already from the small pool of suspects/witnesses etc. available to us.
pettifogging LOL great word. now stop being such a nocfollius tumbletwat.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 11-17-2018, 11:40 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varqm View Post
I do not believe it,everyday there must have been streetwalkers..Stride,Eddowes.Cox and Kelly did not "care" there was a killer roaming about.It's overwhelming the killer was a visitor to the district,comes at the end of the month until or and at about the end of first week 8-9,leaves the district and comes back again at the end of the month.
-----
I am not sure it is fair to say the victims did not care there was a murderer about - though the use of quotes maybe suggests you think they were forced onto the streets regardless. My own theory is that the murderer was a regular user of prostitutes or someone well known in the area. Someone who the women trusted, or at least did not fear.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:47 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by etenguy View Post
I am not sure it is fair to say the victims did not care there was a murderer about - though the use of quotes maybe suggests you think they were forced onto the streets regardless. My own theory is that the murderer was a regular user of prostitutes or someone well known in the area. Someone who the women trusted, or at least did not fear.
I find it almost baffling that neither investigators nor the press, actually suggested that JtR was probably one of their clients, until after Mary Jane Kelly.

There were street gangs blamed.
There were soldiers blamed.
There was the killer butcher Jew, Leather Apron, Pizer, blamed.
Then was Dr. Jack the Ripper after Philips and the black bag man witnessed around Berner St.
Then horse-slaughter after Bond did the meta-analysis of the cases.

Finally Bond comes up with this profile and idea that JtR would probably seem quite normal and even friendly with the women he intended to hurt.

Also, it looked like MJK had taken a client back to her accommodation with her. So they figured out JtR probably wasn't looking like a ghoul.

I accept the press did indicate the women were taking these men to their own unforeseen doom, but did they really suggest it was a client they knew well? I think not.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:48 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
pettifogging LOL great word. now stop being such a nocfollius tumbletwat.
lol!

If they’re not real words, they should be.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:53 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
I find it almost baffling that neither investigators nor the press, actually suggested that JtR was probably one of their clients, until after Mary Jane Kelly.

There were street gangs blamed.
There were soldiers blamed.
There was the killer butcher Jew, Leather Apron, Pizer, blamed.
Then was Dr. Jack the Ripper after Philips and the black bag man witnessed around Berner St.
Then horse-slaughter after Bond did the meta-analysis of the cases.

Finally Bond comes up with this profile and idea that JtR would probably seem quite normal and even friendly with the women he intended to hurt.

Also, it looked like MJK had taken a client back to her accommodation with her. So they figured out JtR probably wasn't looking like a ghoul.

I accept the press did indicate the women were taking these men to their own unforeseen doom, but did they really suggest it was a client they knew well? I think not.
The soldiers in question were supposedly clients.

Can you explain your point about horse slaughterers? That’s an aspect of the case that I’m particularly interested in.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:57 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarnett View Post
The soldiers in question were supposedly clients.

Can you explain your point about horse slaughterers? That’s an aspect of the case that I’m particularly interested in.
It is Bond dashing the idea that JtR was a medical person or showed any signs of medical experience. He said a horse slaughter could do it. I don't think he meant a horse slaughter was JtR but that JtR didn't need any medical experience to do what he did.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:04 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
It is Bond dashing the idea that JtR was a medical person or showed any signs of medical experience. He said a horse slaughter could do it. I don't think he meant a horse slaughter was JtR but that JtR didn't need any medical experience to do what he did.
I thought Bond’s opinion was that the killer didn’t even possess the technical knowledge of a horse slaughterer or a butcher.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:09 PM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
now stop being such a nocfollius tumbletwat.
Tumbletwat... the most incompetent Ripper suspect of them all.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)