Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - by Wickerman 3 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Did Mary Kelly meet the Bethnal Green Botherer? - by Wickerman 4 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Did Mary Kelly meet the Bethnal Green Botherer? - by Wickerman 4 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by DJA 5 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by packers stem 6 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - by c.d. 6 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - (75 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: distances between kills.odd - (15 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (9 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - (7 posts)
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - (5 posts)
Levy, Jacob: Jacob the Ripper - (5 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Lechmere/Cross, Charles

Old 11-14-2018, 01:53 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
That's not what you've been told at all. What you've been told is this:

There were many thousands of men living in Whitechapel, among whom there would have been scores of dodgy characters, and several of these would prove to be much stronger Ripper candidates than Cross if we knew more about them. We can be sure of this on statistical grounds alone.
Hi Sam
what would you think-

If you took 20 of your best suspects/persons of interests vs all the joe bloggs-what is your breakdown if you think you would find the ripper in either group?

for example if I were to do it I think there would be about 70% chance we would find the ripper in my top 20 vs 30% cance for all Joe Bloggs.

what would yours be?

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:32 PM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Hi Sam
what would you think-

If you took 20 of your best suspects/persons of interests vs all the joe bloggs-what is your breakdown if you think you would find the ripper in either group?

for example if I were to do it I think there would be about 70% chance we would find the ripper in my top 20 vs 30% cance for all Joe Bloggs.

what would yours be?
Quite the opposite. I'd say that we'd have a 99% chance of the Ripper being in the "Joe Bloggs" group as opposed to 1% in the Top 20.

Given that the Joe Bloggs group outnumbers the Top 20 named suspects to the order of a thousand to one, I've actually been quite generous in giving the latter group a one in hundred chance.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 11-14-2018, 02:39 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Quite the opposite. I'd say that we'd have a 99% chance of the Ripper being in the "Joe Bloggs" group as opposed to 1% in the Top 20.

Given that the Joe Bloggs group outnumbers the Top 20 named suspects to the order of a thousand to one, I've actually been quite generous in giving the latter group a one in hundred chance.
Hi Sam
wow that really is a disparity-I wasn't expecting that much even from you!LOL

I mean the suspects/persons of interest are that because of a reason-they weren't just randomly snatched out of thin air!

I guess the way I look at it is that so many SKs are on police radar earlier on-- who are caught later, much later, due to modern things like DNA, cell phone and video evidence, that if we didn't have would go scott free.

things they didn't have back then, which leads me to believe that the ripper was probably on there radar at some point.they just didn't have enough info to catch.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 11-14-2018, 03:11 PM
Detective

Quote:
Hi Sam

I mean the suspects/persons of interest are that because of a reason-they weren't just randomly snatched out of thin air!

I guess the way I look at it is that so many SKs are on police radar earlier on-- who are caught later, much later, due to modern things like DNA, cell phone and video evidence, that if we didn't have would go scott free.

things they didn't have back then, which leads me to believe that the ripper was probably on there radar at some point.they just didn't have enough info to catch.
You make an interesting point, and Peter Sutcliffe comes immediately to mind. I'm not sure if this applies in this particular case, but it well could. Although it may well be the murderer was interviewed but never made the suspect list, cf Peter Sutcliffe who was classified 'not connected' after his first interview about the murders.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:45 PM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Hi Sam

There's a bit of randomness involved, in that some of the current named Top 20 suspects were "lucky" enough to get their names down on paper. For example, just imagine how ripperology would have turned out if Macnaghten had selected three different "likely candidate" Rippers out of the police files, instead of the ones he did.

If we knew sufficient about its constituent members, at least as much as we know about the currently-named suspects, I'd say that we'd easily get a more compelling Top 20 out of the Joe Bloggs group.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 11-14-2018, 04:52 PM
Chief Inspector

I use the name Cross,because that was the name given,was the name published and understood,and the name given and accepted under oath in a court of law,in 1888.

What is unusual about that? Much as I use the name Bucks Row,even though I coulld use it's present name.We do not know the reason Cross preferred it,and it is useless to speculate why.One thing I do know however,is that there is no evidence it was to hide that persons involvement in murder,or cause present day theorists to label it a lie.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:14 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
I use the name Cross,because that was the name given,was the name published and understood,and the name given and accepted under oath in a court of law,in 1888.

What is unusual about that? Much as I use the name Bucks Row,even though I coulld use it's present name.We do not know the reason Cross preferred it,and it is useless to speculate why.One thing I do know however,is that there is no evidence it was to hide that persons involvement in murder,or cause present day theorists to label it a lie.
He used it once (possibly twice) compared to 100+ times using Lechmere across the five decades of his adult life spanning the single event of appearing as a witness at an inquest. The man obviously thought of himself as Charles Lechmere. If Buck’s Row had been officially so called between 1849 and 1920, but had been called Black’s Alley in relation to a single event in 1888, would you insist on calling it Black’s Alley?
Old 11-14-2018, 05:31 PM
Superintendent

If we had even one example of him using the name Cross on a census, on a BMD cert, an electoral register, a school register etc etc, then his use of that name alone at Nichols’ inquest, and possibly at another where he ran over and killed a small child, might not seem odd. As it is it’s bloody odd, and if one time in 100+ isn’t ‘unusual’, then I don’t know what is.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:41 PM
Chief Inspector

No one today can claim he(Cross)only used that name on that one instance,and no one today can be expected to prove on what other occassions it was used,but one thing is for certain,he used it and was lawfully entitled to use it, if only that one time,and it does not prove he was a murderer or a liar in doing so.That is the important consideration.

If Bucks Row had been called anything other than Bucks Row,everyone,I presume would have been reffering to it by that other name,so what's the point MrBarnett?
Old 11-14-2018, 05:52 PM
Superintendent

It seems those that argue that he used Cross before in other situations, and is not dubious, is because he gave his first name as Charles. If he was going to hide his name, then why not actually hide his full name?