Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Time after Time: Did JtR have a watch? - by Batman 46 minutes ago.
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - by Trevor Marriott 2 hours ago.
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - by Sam Flynn 2 hours ago.
General Discussion: My profile of the ripper - by Harry D 2 hours ago.
General Discussion: My profile of the ripper - by TomTomKent 3 hours ago.
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - by Michael W Richards 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (26 posts)
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - (16 posts)
General Discussion: My profile of the ripper - (3 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - (3 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Time after Time: Did JtR have a watch? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Lechmere/Cross, Charles

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #371  
Old 11-14-2018, 06:29 AM
MrBarnett MrBarnett is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Romford
Posts: 2,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
Sorry Gary, i didnt mean to imply you had implied such, only that the possibility, even if remote should not be overlooked. I always find your views of CAL, to be well reasoned and realistic.


Steve
Hi Steve,

I come at this from a rather strange angle, I think. Rather than concentrating on the events of Bucks Row, Im more interested in the mans background and antecedents. And in consequence, I can imagine a reason why he would want to avoid using the name Lechmere, even though that may have been the name he normally used.

Gary
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #372  
Old 11-14-2018, 06:38 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 4,435
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarnett View Post
Hi Steve,

I come at this from a rather strange angle, I think. Rather than concentrating on the events of Bucks Row, Im more interested in the mans background and antecedents. And in consequence, I can imagine a reason why he would want to avoid using the name Lechmere, even though that may have been the name he normally used.

Gary
I believe that is a very fair position to take, given the family history. I don't find it strange at all. It is this type of "bigger picture" attitude that I find the hardline, Lechmere supporters just are not prepared to consider.
That of course is the inherent problem with suspect lead research, proving the theory becomes more important than considering all the facts, that applies to all suspect work be it Lechmere, Druitt, Bury or Kosminski.


Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #373  
Old 11-14-2018, 07:26 AM
Darryl Kenyon Darryl Kenyon is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 340
Default

Where would you have recommended a frustrated killer went to slake his blood lust? Margate? Havering-atte-Bower?


Just an opinion but after the probable close shave of Berner St I would expect Lech to move northwards towards his abode, maybe taking a slight detour [ Bucks row area? Were he had successfully killed before, Old montague or Chicksand st areas maybe], not go far west towards Aldgate were it is a half hour walk home.

Last edited by Darryl Kenyon : 11-14-2018 at 07:28 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #374  
Old 11-14-2018, 07:45 AM
MrBarnett MrBarnett is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Romford
Posts: 2,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Kenyon View Post
Where would you have recommended a frustrated killer went to slake his blood lust? Margate? Havering-atte-Bower?


Just an opinion but after the probable close shave of Berner St I would expect Lech to move northwards towards his abode, maybe taking a slight detour [ Bucks row area? Were he had successfully killed before, Old montague or Chicksand st areas maybe], not go far west towards Aldgate were it is a half hour walk home.
I see your point, Darryl. Having possibly had a close shave in Berner Street, his first thought might have been to head for home and safety. But if the urge to kill was stronger, he might have headed for somewhere experience had taught him a victim was likely to be found. And he might have felt Aldgate was such an area.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #375  
Old 11-14-2018, 08:04 AM
Batman Batman is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,854
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarnett View Post
Perhaps he wasn’t wearing his ‘I’m carrying a sharp knife’ lapel badge. Some serial killers are devious like that.
No, instead he is wearing his 'I am walking past a few murder scenes at the same time they were murdered, every day' badge and yet not a single investigator staked out a single crime scene to witness this individual walk by at the right time and right place, as per your model?

At the very least don't you think a quick search for a potential weapon would have ensued should such a person be noted?

Cross must be walking by the same crime scenes in the "way to work" model with a liston knife.
__________________
Bona fide canonical and then some.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #376  
Old 11-14-2018, 08:21 AM
John G John G is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarnett View Post
Or ‘I’ll head off to an area I’m familiar with to look for another victim. An area away from STGITE where I killed earlier this morning and away from Spitalfields and Whitechapel where I’ve killed in recent weeks.’

That’d be really odd.��

Where would you have recommended a frustrated killer went to slake his blood lust? Margate? Havering-atte-Bower?
No, I've consistently argued the opposite! That, as a maruder, JtR would have stayed within the same small geographical area, which could have included Mitre Square. However, the argument being made is that Lechmere would have headed off to that area because it was in the general location of where he worked. That's what I find odd.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #377  
Old 11-14-2018, 08:52 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 4,435
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
No, I've consistently argued the opposite! That, as a maruder, JtR would have stayed within the same small geographical area, which could have included Mitre Square. However, the argument being made is that Lechmere would have headed off to that area because it was in the general location of where he worked. That's what I find odd.
John, the argument that he headed towards Mitre Square is solely based on fitting the crime to the man.
There appears to be little to back the suggestion up, other than its relatively near to Lechmere' s workplace, and on a route he MAY have used when living south of the Whitechapel Road.
Indeed even the argument that this was where the women may have been, hence he goes there, is far from convincing. On that night it seems there were few about the area of Mitre Square at that time. Of course one may argue that the woman seen by Lawende was not Eddowes so that could be 1 other, but even so it does not seem from reports that it was heavily populated that night.


Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #378  
Old 11-14-2018, 08:56 AM
Batman Batman is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,854
Default

The reason why JtR headed to Mitre Sq., is that he had not murdered in the lower southwestern quadrant of Whitechapel.

Nichols - North East.
Chapman - North.
Stride - South East.

Which meant he went to South Whitechapel and then South West.

Eddowes - South West.

We can even predict his next quadrant. North West.

Kelly - North West.
__________________
Bona fide canonical and then some.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #379  
Old 11-14-2018, 09:22 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 4,435
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
The reason why JtR headed to Mitre Sq., is that he had not murdered in the lower southwestern quadrant of Whitechapel.

Nichols - North East.
Chapman - North.
Stride - South East.

Which meant he went to South Whitechapel and then South West.

Eddowes - South West.

We can even predict his next quadrant. North West.

Kelly - North West.

Really sorry, i just dont buy any of that.



Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #380  
Old 11-14-2018, 09:30 AM
Batman Batman is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,854
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
Really sorry, i just dont buy any of that.

Steve
It's a predictive model. It explains why he went south-west and explains why he will go north-west next, which he did.

If this was happening today, investigators would focus on the areas left to hit in.

However, it is unlikely to happen as often today because of criminal forensic awareness.

JtR didn't have any of that in 1888.

JtR is a classic example of a serial murderer, murdering around an anchor point.

There is literally nothing pointing away from this.

Also, it is perfectly in-line with the Goulston St., apron drop.
__________________
Bona fide canonical and then some.

Last edited by Batman : 11-14-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.