Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Darryl Kenyon 34 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Varqm 5 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by DJA 5 hours ago.
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - by Varqm 5 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Simon Wood 5 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by DJA 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (28 posts)
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - (14 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - (4 posts)
General Discussion: My profile of the ripper - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Hutchinson, George

Old 09-21-2018, 03:09 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
This was at least 2 and a half years after the Kelly murder. You seriously think witnesses are expected to keep in touch with police for the rest of their lives?
With "5" murdered/mutilated victims yes.Years just like Lawende.1892 at least.

---
Clearly the first human laws (way older and already established) spawned organized religion's morality - from which it's writers only copied/stole,ex. you cannot kill,rob,steal (forced, otherwise people run back to the hills,no towns).
M. Pacana

Last edited by Varqm : 09-21-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:32 PM
Detective

In the case of Sadler, who ya gonna call? The man who saw a 'sailor like' man chatting up Kate 10 minutes before her body was found, or the man who saw an overdressed Jewish toff with Mary perhaps HOURS before she died?

It's a no-brainer. If your suspect is Sadler, and you're seeking to charge him, you go with Lawende.

And this tells us exactly zip about what the police thought of Hutchinson.

And anyway, some here clearly have amazingly flexible pretzel logic. Hutchinson is supposedly in Australia in 1889 on his way to sexually exposing himself to school children, but the fact that the police don't use him in London as a witness in 1891 shows that he was debunked.

Talk about wanting it both ways...
Old 09-21-2018, 04:39 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

The Stride murder was six weeks before. Is Bowyer likely to remember a description as given by Packer after that length of time? I think the Western Mail has got the facts wrong, and we just cant get away from primary and secondary can we
Trevor.

The comparison just might be being made by the journalist, not Bowyer.

"Harry Bowyer states that on Wednesday night he saw a man speaking to Kelly who resembled the description given by the fruiterer of the supposed Berner Street murderer."
Old 09-21-2018, 04:43 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varqm View Post
With "5" murdered/mutilated victims yes.Years just like Lawende.1892 at least.

---
How do you mean "just like Lawende"?
Are you saying he was required to keep in touch with the police?

I think you will have a hard time substantiating this supposed requirement.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:25 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Hi Jon,
If you had read the book you would be in a position to state whether or not the suggested identification succeeded or failed, but you havenít, so you arenít.
I didn't.

Researchers who DID read the book provided that conclusion.
Where is this going?, you seem to be taking the position that Senise did provide the necessary evidence.
If he did (in your opinion), why don't you say so, but if he didn't, then why are you arguing?

Quote:
No, Iím not secretly promoting Mr. Seniseís book; Iím actively promoting it, because itís a cracking good read with excellent original research, regardless of what you think of Hutchinson as a suspect or his proposed identification.
I never said it wasn't a good read, no-one has said that to my knowledge.
A well written book is no substitute for failing to prove the connection.

Quote:
We assume, logically, that this issue was cleared up beyond question when Bowyer was first interviewed.
On what basis?
The day of his statement the only prevalent theory was Kelly was murdered in the late morning. There was no cause to ask about men coming and going through the night, and his statement basically testifies to that.

Quote:
The police were not, and are not, in the business of asking fresh witnesses to ďconfirmĒ events related by others.
It happens all the time, which goes to show how much you really know.

Quote:
As soon as the police were alerted to the likelihood that the murder occurred in the small hours of the morning, i.e. well in advance of the inquest,....
And that happened on the evening of the 12th, the day of the inquest.
If you think it happened before the inquest then show me the report - prove your assertion.

Quote:
The fact that no mention was made by Bowyer at the inquest of any 3.00am stranger is a certain indication that he responded in the negative to an earlier, pre-inquest police question along those very lines.
Who asked him that at the inquest?

Quote:
The police were alerted to the probability of an early morning murder way in advance of Hutchinson coming forward.
Like I said, show me...
The description of Blotchy was never published as a suspect, and they knew about him from the 9th.
Cries of "murder" were common place, many testified to that, and the police knew it from experience, so that was no firm indication.
So what are you left with, Dr Bond's report?
Shame it doesn't support a murder at 3:00 am.
I think your pockets are empty Ben, you have nothing.

Quote:
Not this nonsense again, I beseech you, Jon. You did much the same with Lewis/Kennedy to much horrified incredulity.
Gesticulating changes nothing, if you know a case where two witnesses are brought to an inquest to make the same statements, then show me.
Complaining doesn't change the fact it doesn't happen.

Quote:
It wasnít the ďsame storyĒ; it was two entirely separate witnesses offering apparent corroboration for a specific version of events; namely that Kelly was alive at 9.00am on Friday.
You're thinking about a trial, not an inquest.
The coroner is not charging anyone with murder, he only needs to know if the victim was alive after 9:00 am. Only one witness is necessary
Old 09-21-2018, 05:33 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
How do you mean "just like Lawende"?
Are you saying he was required to keep in touch with the police?

I think you will have a hard time substantiating this supposed requirement.
Hypothetically,it's 1888,with no DNA/fingerprints/confession,if you are in charge,this witness Hutchinson was truthful,would you lose contact with him when the case has not yet been closed.What if you find a suspect,what are you going to do,coerce a confession.You need a witness,the only hope,exactly what they did with Lawende using him as that witness..And if the witness had doubts in identifying the "suspect" would you use him instead of a witness who can identify the "suspect" and saw him for 15 minutes.I understand you would use the former.At the very least both are needed.
The police had to be very dumb to lose contact with this witness/Hutch.But his testimony was bad,they were forced to choose the witness who had doubts in identifying the "suspect" .

----
Clearly the first human laws (way older and already established) spawned organized religion's morality - from which it's writers only copied/stole,ex. you cannot kill,rob,steal (forced, otherwise people run back to the hills,no towns).
M. Pacana

Last edited by Varqm : 09-21-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:55 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varqm View Post
Hypothetically,it's 1888,with no DNA/fingerprints/confession,if you are in charge,this witness Hutchinson was truthful,would you lose contact with him when the case has not yet been closed.What if you find a suspect,what are you going to do,coerce a confession.You need a witness,the only hope,exactly what they did with Lawende using him as that witness..And if the witness had doubts in identifying the "suspect" would you use him instead of a witness who can identify the "suspect" and saw him for 15 minutes.I understand you would use the former.At the very least both are needed.
The police had to be very dumb to lose contact with this witness/Hutch.But his testimony was bad,they were forced to choose the witness who had doubts in identifying the "suspect" .

----
You say they would have to be dumb.
The reality is, the police have no authority to do what you say.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:49 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpalmer View Post
In the case of Sadler, who ya gonna call? The man who saw a 'sailor like' man chatting up Kate 10 minutes before her body was found, or the man who saw an overdressed Jewish toff with Mary perhaps HOURS before she died?

It's a no-brainer. If your suspect is Sadler, and you're seeking to charge him, you go with Lawende.

And this tells us exactly zip about what the police thought of Hutchinson.

And anyway, some here clearly have amazingly flexible pretzel logic. Hutchinson is supposedly in Australia in 1889 on his way to sexually exposing himself to school children, but the fact that the police don't use him in London as a witness in 1891 shows that he was debunked.

Talk about wanting it both ways...
Not really rj. Hutch was apparently debunked shortly after his story. Long before he made his way to australia.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 09-21-2018, 08:52 PM
Commisioner

Wicker or trevor
Both you have said bowyer corroborates hutches story by somehow also mentioning aman or someone who looked like him. Balderdash.

Please provide a direct quote and source of bowyer that includes a description of a man that fits the description if Aman.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 09-21-2018, 09:01 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridewell View Post
Thanks, Abby.

By Hutchinson's account she tried to tap him up for sixpence. Given her line of work, that suggests he might have found a bed for the night if he'd been in funds, doesn't it?

If Lechmere lied then so did the 'J' Division Pc John Neill, who claimed not to have seen or spoken to him. Why would he do that?
But hutch didnt have funds, and quickly got dumped for another man, classic circs for a stalking situation. Which IMHO hutch then does, following her around, waiting in the middle of the night watching for her, and in his press account, even going next to her door to see if he could here anything.

Re your second point. Hutch lying to mizen about being wanted in bucks row dosnt mean Neil lied about it too. Not sure of your reasoning there at all.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline