Do you think it will be solved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Varqm View Post
    The ripper murdered women,so that eliminates him?

-
    Sorry, I just meant he confessed to a specific murder, that does not rule out that he murdered others

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
      I have a feeling, Steve, that the reference "Larkin" may lead us to what kind of suspect our learned Danish friend has in mind. Plus I have another feeling that it is a tad ironic that I am the one pointing it out.

There is a very, very, very, very small chance that I am wrong on it, though.
      How small is a very very very very small chance?

Larkin is Edward Larkin, who was perhaps the first ripperologist. He thought JtR was a group of mainly Portuguese cattle drivers, because he’d matched the murders to the arrival of various ships.

Comment

What was going to be revealed in 2030? Was it something to with there being another suspect or more conclusive evidence as to the actual victims?
        And there have been so many books written about JTR, that revealing the name and having a case closed, would kill the cash cow of authors and aspiring authors. JTR has been quite a cash generating enigma over the last 130 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Busy Beaver View Post
          What was going to be revealed in 2030? Was it something to with there being another suspect or more conclusive evidence as to the actual victims?
          And there have been so many books written about JTR, that revealing the name and having a case closed, would kill the cash cow of authors and aspiring authors. JTR has been quite a cash generating enigma over the last 130 years.
          Sorry completely lost me.

Where does 2030 come from? Thats another 12 years.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post
            How small is a very very very very small chance?

Larkin is Edward Larkin, who was perhaps the first ripperologist. He thought JtR was a group of mainly Portuguese cattle drivers, because he’d matched the murders to the arrival of various ships.
            And here I was, thinking you were displaying a sudden drastic sense of humour! It´s Larkins, not Larkin, Kattrup.

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
              It´s Larkins, not Larkin, Kattrup.
              Yes, forgot the S, sorry

Comment

My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

Nice one, Dave

You've been a bit kind on the early years, though, as there was a fair bit of bull$hit surrounding the case from the outset.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

The time axis has no limit Sam, I think it works pretty well for day one!
                    My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

Spot on Dave.
                      I often wondered if any one asked the Kray twins or any other older East End gangster, if they had a hunch who the Ripper was.

Comment

Originally posted by Busy Beaver View Post
                        Spot on Dave.
                        I often wondered if any one asked the Kray twins or any other older East End gangster, if they had a hunch who the Ripper was.
                        I did speak to Reggie once on the 'phone - never thought to ask him.
                        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post
                          Sorry, I just meant he confessed to a specific murder, that does not rule out that he murdered others
                          But it doesn't mean he did, either. Indeed, it doesn't even mean he killed the person he confessed to have killed. But if his confession were true, and he was the Ripper (which is a pretty huge leap), why confess to only one murder? And the least brutal one, at that?

You say that murders involving cut throats were rare in Denmark. Well, not quite so rare in London. But do we know that this alleged murder even took place in London? If he was a sailor, this murder could have taken place in any port town, anywhere in the world. Why tie him to Whitechapel? What are the details of his confession?

Hansen being a cattle driver is of no importance. The reason Larkins suspected Portugese cattle drivers had nothing to do with their profession, but rather with the fact that they were there at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                            I did speak to Reggie once on the 'phone - never thought to ask him.
                            Colin, I hope that you decided to order your pizza’s elsewhere if that’s who answered.

Comment

Sorry, but I feel less and less sure it will be solved. But it has opened up so many hitherto underdiscussed areas of Victorian history (mainly dealing with the poorer citizens, or the police) that the emphasis can lead us into further and further probing in these areas. In fact, I always felt the subject would have been better named for Whitechapel, or the East End, or the Victims, instead of giving a partial publicity victory to the killer by calling it "Ripperology"

This doesn't mean ignoring known or possibly interesting suspects - their lives may have something to tell us too. But would one really like to call the murder by poisoned strychnine tablets in Stepney and Lambeth in 1891 - 92, "Creamianology"?

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                                But it doesn't mean he did, either. Indeed, it doesn't even mean he killed the person he confessed to have killed. But if his confession were true, and he was the Ripper (which is a pretty huge leap), why confess to only one murder? And the least brutal one, at that?

You say that murders involving cut throats were rare in Denmark. Well, not quite so rare in London. But do we know that this alleged murder even took place in London? If he was a sailor, this murder could have taken place in any port town, anywhere in the world. Why tie him to Whitechapel? What are the details of his confession?

Hansen being a cattle driver is of no importance. The reason Larkins suspected Portugese cattle drivers had nothing to do with their profession, but rather with the fact that they were there at the time.
                                Yes, you’re right - as said, I’ve yet to even place him near England in 1888, so I’ll concede that he’s not topping the suspect lists

He’s just an interesting case I came across and hope to learn more about. The murder he allegedly confessed to happened in Denmark. There were no abdominal mutilations, which of course rules him out as the ripper to most people.
                                The cattle driver reference is simply interesting because it was a contemporary theory about the murderer. I know Larkins was interested in portuguese men, and I don’t know that Hansen actually worked as a cattle driver in 1888, but hey, details.

Comment

Working...
                                X