Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any updates, or opinions on this witness.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    Hi bridewell
    I agree. I think more than likely he was just looking for a place to crash. However, he followed mary around and then waited outside her place for almost an hour in the middle of the night on his own accord. Just happens on the night of her murder. Creepy or maybe bad luck? I dont know but to me its stalking behaviour, especially since theres no indication mary wanted anything to do with him, and basically blew him off so theres could be jeolousy in the mix too.
    Thanks, Abby.

By Hutchinson's account she tried to tap him up for sixpence. Given her line of work, that suggests he might have found a bed for the night if he'd been in funds, doesn't it?

Re mizen. Probably mistaken, the other option lech lied. Its certainly not a fact mizen was lying or mistaken.
    If Lechmere lied then so did the 'J' Division Pc John Neill, who claimed not to have seen or spoken to him. Why would he do that?
    Last edited by Bridewell; 09-21-2018, 02:45 PM.
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Varqm View Post
      If the police were keystone cops.If not this kind of witness,his importance,if his account is true, will be retained.This was the big lead.
      Have him notify police if he moved,give him rewards.Have him walk around the district more to spot the man.Use him in the Sadler case.
      The case closed in 1892.But it did not happen because his testimony was dropped,forcing them to use a witness/Lawende who doubt he
      could identify the "suspect" again.

---
      This was at least 2 and a half years after the Kelly murder. You seriously think witnesses are expected to keep in touch with police for the rest of their lives?
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
        Is this the same story reported in the Western Mail of 12th November? In which case, it says the man Bowyer saw matched resembled the description given by the untrustworthy Matthew Packer:

"Harry Bowyer states that on Wednesday night he saw a man speaking to Kelly who resembled the description given by the fruiterer of the supposed Berner Street murderer."

Packer estimated the age of the man he allegedly saw at around 35, and he said that he looked like a clerk. Bowyer described a "rather smart" man in his late 20s, sporting white collar and cuffs and a black coat. It doesn't strike me that either was describing an Astrakhan-type figure, but a clerical worker.
        The Western Mail was not a London paper, and the article conflicts with the Echo article, so which is the more likely to be an accurate?

The Stride murder was six weeks before. Is Bowyer likely to remember a description as given by Packer after that length of time? I think the Western Mail has got the facts wrong, and we just cant get away from primary and secondary can we

Bowyers story appeared in the Echo article dated Nov 14th

The Bowyer article did not appear in The Echo until after the inquest which was on Nov 12

Researchers should perhaps stop believing all they read in newspapers

Comment

• Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
          Any witness statement from a civilian witness contains the witness's account, but in the statement taker's words. If it were otherwise Hutchinson's statement might have read something along the lines of "I saw Mary on the night she died. She was with a dodgy-looking bloke in a fur-trimmed coat". A witness statement is a primary source paraphrase notwithstanding.
          All the witness statements taken by Abberline on 9 Nov. in Millers Court were taken in first-hand, except that of Bowyer.
          Bowyer's appears to have been the first statement taken by Abberline, after which he changed to first-hand recording.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            That makes it a second-hand account. If any account - whether first, second or third hand - appeared in a contemporary newspaper for the first time, then it's a primary source as defined by historians. Call it a "second-hand account" by all means, but don't call it a secondary source, because that's a term which means something very specific when one is dealing with historical materials. A secondary source would be a book or newspaper article produced after the event which quotes or interprets one or more primary sources.
            I used this source where it says once "interpretation" is used, the account is a secondary source.
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
              This was at least 2 and a half years after the Kelly murder. You seriously think witnesses are expected to keep in touch with police for the rest of their lives?
              With "5" murdered/mutilated victims yes.Years just like Lawende.1892 at least.

---
              Last edited by Varqm; 09-21-2018, 03:14 PM.
              Clearly the first human laws (way older and already established) spawned organized religion's morality - from which it's writers only copied/stole,ex. you cannot kill,rob,steal (forced,it started civil society).
              M. Pacana

Comment

• In the case of Sadler, who ya gonna call? The man who saw a 'sailor like' man chatting up Kate 10 minutes before her body was found, or the man who saw an overdressed Jewish toff with Mary perhaps HOURS before she died?

It's a no-brainer. If your suspect is Sadler, and you're seeking to charge him, you go with Lawende.

And this tells us exactly zip about what the police thought of Hutchinson.

And anyway, some here clearly have amazingly flexible pretzel logic. Hutchinson is supposedly in Australia in 1889 on his way to sexually exposing himself to school children, but the fact that the police don't use him in London as a witness in 1891 shows that he was debunked.

Talk about wanting it both ways...

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

The Stride murder was six weeks before. Is Bowyer likely to remember a description as given by Packer after that length of time? I think the Western Mail has got the facts wrong, and we just cant get away from primary and secondary can we
                  Trevor.

The comparison just might be being made by the journalist, not Bowyer.

"Harry Bowyer states that on Wednesday night he saw a man speaking to Kelly who resembled the description given by the fruiterer of the supposed Berner Street murderer."
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

With "5" murdered/mutilated victims yes.Years just like Lawende.1892 at least.

---
                    How do you mean "just like Lawende"?
                    Are you saying he was required to keep in touch with the police?

I think you will have a hard time substantiating this supposed requirement.
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben View Post
                      Hi Jon,
                      If you had read the book you would be in a position to state whether or not the suggested identification succeeded or failed, but you haven’t, so you aren’t.
                      I didn't.

Researchers who DID read the book provided that conclusion.
                      Where is this going?, you seem to be taking the position that Senise did provide the necessary evidence.
                      If he did (in your opinion), why don't you say so, but if he didn't, then why are you arguing?

No, I’m not secretly promoting Mr. Senise’s book; I’m actively promoting it, because it’s a cracking good read with excellent original research, regardless of what you think of Hutchinson as a suspect or his proposed identification.
                      I never said it wasn't a good read, no-one has said that to my knowledge.
                      A well written book is no substitute for failing to prove the connection.

We assume, logically, that this issue was cleared up beyond question when Bowyer was first interviewed.
                      On what basis?
                      The day of his statement the only prevalent theory was Kelly was murdered in the late morning. There was no cause to ask about men coming and going through the night, and his statement basically testifies to that.

The police were not, and are not, in the business of asking fresh witnesses to “confirm” events related by others.
                      It happens all the time, which goes to show how much you really know.

As soon as the police were alerted to the likelihood that the murder occurred in the small hours of the morning, i.e. well in advance of the inquest,....
                      And that happened on the evening of the 12th, the day of the inquest.
                      If you think it happened before the inquest then show me the report - prove your assertion.

The fact that no mention was made by Bowyer at the inquest of any 3.00am stranger is a certain indication that he responded in the negative to an earlier, pre-inquest police question along those very lines.
                      Who asked him that at the inquest?

The police were alerted to the probability of an early morning murder way in advance of Hutchinson coming forward.
                      Like I said, show me...
                      The description of Blotchy was never published as a suspect, and they knew about him from the 9th.
                      Cries of "murder" were common place, many testified to that, and the police knew it from experience, so that was no firm indication.
                      So what are you left with, Dr Bond's report?
                      Shame it doesn't support a murder at 3:00 am.
                      I think your pockets are empty Ben, you have nothing.

Not this nonsense again, I beseech you, Jon. You did much the same with Lewis/Kennedy to much horrified incredulity.
                      Gesticulating changes nothing, if you know a case where two witnesses are brought to an inquest to make the same statements, then show me.
                      Complaining doesn't change the fact it doesn't happen.

It wasn’t the “same story”; it was two entirely separate witnesses offering apparent corroboration for a specific version of events; namely that Kelly was alive at 9.00am on Friday.
                      You're thinking about a trial, not an inquest.
                      The coroner is not charging anyone with murder, he only needs to know if the victim was alive after 9:00 am. Only one witness is necessary
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                        How do you mean "just like Lawende"?
                        Are you saying he was required to keep in touch with the police?

I think you will have a hard time substantiating this supposed requirement.
                        Hypothetically,it's 1888,with no DNA/fingerprints/confession,if you are in charge,this witness Hutchinson was truthful,would you lose contact with him when the case has not yet been closed.What if you find a suspect,what are you going to do,coerce a confession.You need a witness,the only hope,exactly what they did with Lawende using him as that witness..And if the witness had doubts in identifying the "suspect" would you use him instead of a witness who can identify the "suspect" and saw him for 15 minutes.I understand you would use the former.At the very least both are needed.
                        The police had to be very dumb to lose contact with this witness/Hutch.But his testimony was bad,they were forced to choose the witness who had doubts in identifying the "suspect" .

----
                        Last edited by Varqm; 09-21-2018, 05:48 PM.
                        Clearly the first human laws (way older and already established) spawned organized religion's morality - from which it's writers only copied/stole,ex. you cannot kill,rob,steal (forced,it started civil society).
                        M. Pacana

Comment

Hypothetically,it's 1888,with no DNA/fingerprints/confession,if you are in charge,this witness Hutchinson was truthful,would you lose contact with him when the case has not yet been closed.What if you find a suspect,what are you going to do,coerce a confession.You need a witness,the only hope,exactly what they did with Lawende using him as that witness..And if the witness had doubts in identifying the "suspect" would you use him instead of a witness who can identify the "suspect" and saw him for 15 minutes.I understand you would use the former.At the very least both are needed.
                          The police had to be very dumb to lose contact with this witness/Hutch.But his testimony was bad,they were forced to choose the witness who had doubts in identifying the "suspect" .

----
                          You say they would have to be dumb.
                          The reality is, the police have no authority to do what you say.
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post
                            In the case of Sadler, who ya gonna call? The man who saw a 'sailor like' man chatting up Kate 10 minutes before her body was found, or the man who saw an overdressed Jewish toff with Mary perhaps HOURS before she died?

It's a no-brainer. If your suspect is Sadler, and you're seeking to charge him, you go with Lawende.

And this tells us exactly zip about what the police thought of Hutchinson.

And anyway, some here clearly have amazingly flexible pretzel logic. Hutchinson is supposedly in Australia in 1889 on his way to sexually exposing himself to school children, but the fact that the police don't use him in London as a witness in 1891 shows that he was debunked.

Talk about wanting it both ways...
                            Not really rj. Hutch was apparently debunked shortly after his story. Long before he made his way to australia.
                            "Is all that we see or seem
                            but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                            quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Wicker or trevor
                              Both you have said bowyer corroborates hutches story by somehow also mentioning aman or someone who looked like him. Balderdash.

Please provide a direct quote and source of bowyer that includes a description of a man that fits the description if Aman.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                                Thanks, Abby.

By Hutchinson's account she tried to tap him up for sixpence. Given her line of work, that suggests he might have found a bed for the night if he'd been in funds, doesn't it?

If Lechmere lied then so did the 'J' Division Pc John Neill, who claimed not to have seen or spoken to him. Why would he do that?
                                But hutch didnt have funds, and quickly got dumped for another man, classic circs for a stalking situation. Which IMHO hutch then does, following her around, waiting in the middle of the night watching for her, and in his press account, even going next to her door to see if he could here anything.

Re your second point. Hutch lying to mizen about being wanted in bucks row dosnt mean Neil lied about it too. Not sure of your reasoning there at all.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
                                X