Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - by packers stem 5 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: "Ripperland" by Andrew Firth - by Herlock Sholmes 2 hours ago.
Witnesses: 36 Berner Street............... - by Robert 2 hours ago.
Non-Fiction: "Ripperland" by Andrew Firth - by Andrew Firth 2 hours ago.
Witnesses: 36 Berner Street............... - by Robert 2 hours ago.
Non-Fiction: "Ripperland" by Andrew Firth - by Herlock Sholmes 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: 36 Berner Street............... - (20 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (4 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Did Mary Kelly meet the Bethnal Green Botherer? - (4 posts)
Non-Fiction: "Ripperland" by Andrew Firth - (4 posts)
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - (4 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Media > Books > Non-Fiction

Old 09-19-2018, 09:16 AM
Cadet

Default Rubenhold's response

I've enjoyed Hallie Rubenhold's other work and found it useful in my own. Her books are academic but accessible: clear, rigorous, scrupulous, and informed.

But the publicity didn't sit right with me. So I spoke to her on Twitter earlier this week, using the example of Catharine Eddowes, who survived by any means necessary, including casual prostitution. The circumstances of her murder bear this out.

Rubenhold replied that the press significantly twisted her intent and asked me to reserve judgment. She didn't elaborate, but I think she's earned that much.

I doubt that Nichols, Chapman, Stride, and Eddowes, who all fell from relative heights, would have called themselves prostitutes. (Kelly, of course, was more up front about it.) They were desperate women, clinging to their pride, who lived hand-to-mouth without social recourse. *We* know this, but most people don't.

The press/Hollywood/morality machine long ago turned the victims into sexed-up good time girls on the make, who lived dangerously and got their comeuppance. If Rubenhold's book is along this line -- how and why these women were backed into corners -- then more power to her elbow.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:26 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grand View Post
I've enjoyed Hallie Rubenhold's other work and found it useful in my own. Her books are academic but accessible: clear, rigorous, scrupulous, and informed.

But the publicity didn't sit right with me. So I spoke to her on Twitter earlier this week, using the example of Catharine Eddowes, who survived by any means necessary, including casual prostitution. The circumstances of her murder bear this out.

Rubenhold replied that the press significantly twisted her intent and asked me to reserve judgment. She didn't elaborate, but I think she's earned that much.

I doubt that Nichols, Chapman, Stride, and Eddowes, who all fell from relative heights, would have called themselves prostitutes. (Kelly, of course, was more up front about it.) They were desperate women, clinging to their pride, who lived hand-to-mouth without social recourse. *We* know this, but most people don't.

The press/Hollywood/morality machine long ago turned the victims into sexed-up good time girls on the make, who lived dangerously and got their comeuppance. If Rubenhold's book is along this line -- how and why these women were backed into corners -- then more power to her elbow.
Um, we kind of know how these women got into the position they were in, don't we? And I don't know what relevance there is in what four or them would have called themselves. The description of them as prostitutes is how others perceived them or what they knew them to be, isn't it?

As already said, of course everyone should reserve judgement, but will they? Or will loads of people just read what Dr Rubenhold has flatly stated and believe it? Six months is an awfully long time for people to wait until they can check it out, don't you think?
Old 09-19-2018, 10:46 AM
Cadet

I don't think the general public does know. There is the caricature and the truth. If it helps bring the truth to a wider audience, then right on.

But you're right in that if Rubenhold's intent has been twisted -- and I can only take her word -- she should do more now to set the record straight. And it's also wrong to portray focus on the victims as new. Your turning to them long ago changed my entire view of the case, Paul. Thank you.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:22 AM
WWotW

Quote:
I don't think the general public does know. There is the caricature and the truth. If it helps bring the truth to a wider audience, then right on.

The type of general public who believes the women were sexed-up goodtime girls aren't the type who are going to be reading social history tomes either.

This book isn't going to do much to enlighten the general public. It's a niche book, for a niche audience.

I'm in a book club, we read a wide variety of books, non-fiction and fiction and none of the women I know would consider this for one of their "Book of the Month" selections.

Let all Oz be agreed;
I'm Wicked through and through.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:39 AM
Detective

Hi Paul -- -Slightly off-topic.

I am paraphrasing, but you will no doubt recall Martin Fido, having interviewed several old timers in the East End, stating that when times got tough, 'mother' walked the streets, and 'no one thought the worse of her for it.'

So, in other words, anyone viewing these women as immoral, were not part of the immediate community.

The following will no doubt be met with howls of protest, but to me this suggests the average 'Ripperologist' is wrong. The murderer was not likely to be one of the 'normal' denizens of the East End. He is someone who is killing those (he believes) society deems it legitimate to kill: the sick, the homeless, the unemployed, the alcoholic. His view is from the 'outside in,' not the 'inside out.'
Old 09-19-2018, 11:58 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpalmer View Post
Hi Paul -- -Slightly off-topic.

I am paraphrasing, but you will no doubt recall Martin Fido, having interviewed several old timers in the East End, stating that when times got tough, 'mother' walked the streets, and 'no one thought the worse of her for it.'

So, in other words, anyone viewing these women as immoral, were not part of the immediate community.

The following will no doubt be met with howls of protest, but to me this suggests the average 'Ripperologist' is wrong. The murderer was not likely to be one of the 'normal' denizens of the East End. He is someone who is killing those (he believes) society deems it legitimate to kill: the sick, the homeless, the unemployed, the alcoholic. His view is from the 'outside in,' not the 'inside out.'
Yes, it's pretty generally accepted that occasional prostitution was fairly widespread among certain classes and I recall reading someone like Cullen or Farson or someone observing that some people would be shocked at what their granny (or great-granny) had to do to live. It seems to me moot that locals may not have considered it immoral, but don't you think the idea that the Ripper was an outsider looking in assumes that the murderer was targeting prostitutes, rather than targeting women, prostitutes being the easiest prey?
Old 09-19-2018, 12:11 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:

But you're right in that if Rubenhold's intent has been twisted -- and I can only take her word -- she should do more now to set the record straight. And it's also wrong to portray focus on the victims as new. Your turning to them long ago changed my entire view of the case, Paul. Thank you.
Anything that sheds more light on the lives of the victims is very welcome indeed, of course, but will Rubenhold's book make any significant impact on public perceptions? I don't know how big an interested market there is outside the traditional market for Ripper books.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:39 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
Varqm,
I cannot be as sure as you are,but I would be interested in your,or anyone else's,description of a prostitute.I understand the simple definition of sex for money,but is it that simple?Can we be certain that when Nichols stated she had earned money the previous day,it was through prostitution,or her quest that night was in search of money for sex.?Were there alternate means of acquiring fourpence? Stride it has been stated earned sixpence for cleaning.

Nonsense,is not a very dismissive answer.I expect better from you.
Yes it's simple,no beating around the bush,just looking at the facts.It is nonsense because it's simple.You are making it more complicated than it was/is.

---
Clearly the first human laws (way older and already established) spawned organized religion's morality - from which it's writers only copied/stole,ex. you cannot kill,rob,steal (forced, otherwise people run back to the hills,no towns).
M. Pacana

Last edited by Varqm : 09-19-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:52 PM
Assistant Commissioner

The Oxford Dictionary defines the term 'prostitute' as:

"A person, in particular a woman, who engages in sexual activity for payment."

That's, to my mind, Nichols definitely; Chapman definitely; Kelly definitely; Eddowes probably and Stride possibly. I don't think that's why they were killed though - more likely that was because they were vulnerable rather than any 'down on whores' thing.

In many cases there simply wasn't a choice - it was prostitution or starvation.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:59 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridewell View Post
The Oxford Dictionary defines the term 'prostitute' as:

"A person, in particular a woman, who engages in sexual activity for payment."

That's, to my mind, Nichols definitely; Chapman definitely; Kelly definitely; Eddowes probably and Stride possibly. I don't think that's why they were killed though - more likely that was because they were vulnerable rather than any 'down on whores' thing.

In many cases there simply wasn't a choice - it was prostitution or starvation.
I think you are right on both counts.

Prostitution or starvation (hyperthermia)

And vulnerable, or even available as victims at a time of day when “good women” were home with hubby.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.