Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Mary Ann Nichols: What Direction Was Polly Travelling When She Was Killed? - by Harry D 2 minutes ago.
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - by Abby Normal 10 minutes ago.
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - by Abby Normal 13 minutes ago.
Scene of the Crimes: The Bucks Row Project Summary Report. - by Elamarna 42 minutes ago.
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - by J6123 42 minutes ago.
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - by Sam Flynn 46 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Scene of the Crimes: The Bucks Row Project Summary Report. - (76 posts)
Mary Ann Nichols: What Direction Was Polly Travelling When She Was Killed? - (72 posts)
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - (63 posts)
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - (6 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Sedgewick Saunders ....... why did he say the things he said ? - (4 posts)
Catherine Eddowes: Eddowes V-shape wounds are scissors I think - (4 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Victims > Elizabeth Stride

Old 09-17-2018, 11:19 PM
Casebook Supporter

Interesting observation, but "undone" and "torn" might betoken rather different things.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:33 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Interesting observation, but "undone" and "torn" might betoken rather different things.
My take on it to

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Old 09-18-2018, 01:42 AM
Detective

Morris Eagle said in his inquest testimony, Her feet were towards the gates, about six or seven feet from them. In other words, she was a good couple of metres within the yard. Now to my mind, Liz after being assaulted in the street would have gone kicking and screaming into Dutfileds with her assailant not just scream, not very loudly according to Schwartz. Yet nobody saw or heard her putting up a fight, nor is there any evidence that she did, in fact, the evidence points the other way, yes those damned cachous etc
This is what Schwartz said, The man tried to pull the woman into the street. Does that sound like a killer who then goes on to kill Liz in a darkened passageway, swiftly and silently? Not for me. Not only that but he draws attention to himself by shouting Lipski, and even if we surmise that he did this to scare Schwartz off how would he know that someone else, Fanny Mortimer, for instance, wouldn't come to her door to see what the commotion was and witnessed him? But of course, the cry of Lipski aimed at a man of strong Jewish appearance would almost certainly be thrown by a Gentile thus casting doubt on the IWEC being involved in the strong anti-Semitic climate.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:29 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Kenyon View Post
Morris Eagle said in his inquest testimony, Her feet were towards the gates, about six or seven feet from them. In other words, she was a good couple of metres within the yard. Now to my mind, Liz after being assaulted in the street would have gone kicking and screaming into Dutfileds with her assailant not just scream, not very loudly according to Schwartz. Yet nobody saw or heard her putting up a fight, nor is there any evidence that she did, in fact, the evidence points the other way, yes those damned cachous etc
This is what Schwartz said, The man tried to pull the woman into the street. Does that sound like a killer who then goes on to kill Liz in a darkened passageway, swiftly and silently? Not for me. Not only that but he draws attention to himself by shouting Lipski, and even if we surmise that he did this to scare Schwartz off how would he know that someone else, Fanny Mortimer, for instance, wouldn't come to her door to see what the commotion was and witnessed him? But of course, the cry of Lipski aimed at a man of strong Jewish appearance would almost certainly be thrown by a Gentile thus casting doubt on the IWEC being involved in the strong anti-Semitic climate.
Hi DK
I think he may have cut her throat in the street, fled and Stride then tried to make her way to the voices (and help) in the club but expired in the yard.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 09-18-2018, 06:35 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Stride then tried to make her way to the voices (and help) in the club but expired in the yard.
I get that impression as well, Abby. There's a possibility that she wouldn't have died (or even lost consciousness) instantly, owing to the nature of the wound, which may have given her a time to make her way into the yard herself.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 09-18-2018, 06:44 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
I get that impression as well, Abby. There's a possibility that she wouldn't have died (or even lost consciousness) instantly, owing to the nature of the wound, which may have given her a time to make her way into the yard herself.
Thanks Sam
agree. it would explain alot of things.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 09-18-2018, 10:05 AM
Superintendent

Hi
Surely no blood was found in the street area. and appears to have only been in the yard.
Regards Richard.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:30 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardnunweek View Post
Hi
Surely no blood was found in the street area. and appears to have only been in the yard.
Regards Richard.
Indeed Richard. Doctor Blackwell, and Doctor Philips were in no doubt that Liz Stride was murdered where she lay. Both searched for blood stains other than the stream of blood which extended from her neck down to the gutter, and could find none.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:02 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert St Devil View Post

I cant rightfully say why Jack the Ripper undid the tops of these women's dresses,; however, since the pattern appears in both places, it would seem like a similar hand was evident, judging by the opened dresses. In the case of Stride, I've been wondering if Jack the Ripper put his hand inside of her dress, causing that blood-stained abrasion under her right arm.
I've always been partial to the idea that Jack used a ligature/cord to strangle his victims (Dr. Brownfield's theory)
The difference between a top button being undone or being torn open may be nothing more than the difference between a tight or loose fitting top button.

I wouldn't rule out the victim being responsible for this, in a desperate attempt to remove the ligature. There doesn't seem to be a rationale need for the killer to do that, unless he was looking for a necklace?
Old 09-18-2018, 11:05 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post

Stride's throat was cut less than an hour before a Ripper-esque murder. Sure, the timing is convenient, but life is full of strange coincidences. The Ripper case certainly isn't an exception to happenstance, e.g. Eddowes giving the same name to the police as the next victim, and Sarah Brown having her throat cut in a domestic on the night of the Double Event.
And Elizabeth Long's appearance at the Chapman inquest being followed by the murder of a woman nicknamed Long Liz.