Sarah and Maurice Lewis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post
    Really. I would have thought you would have pronounced it more in the French style over yonder.
    When I grew up, Maurice was invariably pronounced "Morris" - for example, Bee Gee Maurice Gibb was "Morris" Gibb. In terms of the UK, the pronunciation of Maurice as "Mau-REECE" seems to be a more recent phenomenon, as far as I can tell.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

In 1891 there was a Morris Lewis of the right age and occupation, born Poland, living at 50 Boyd St STGITE.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
        In 1891 there was a Morris Lewis of the right age and occupation, born Poland, living at 50 Boyd St STGITE.
        And bearing in mind the trial was at Thames Police Court, a STGITE address would make sense.

Comment

Also in 1891 there is a 24-year-old Morris Lewis, occupation Mantle Maker (dress), living at 228, Commercial Road with his wife, Florrie. Their marriage appears to have been in Whitechapel in 1887.

Their eldest child was 3 at the time and had been born in MENT.

Comment

Hi Gary

"Tailor" suggests gents outfitting but I guess he could have done women's too, as long as he didn't tell them that their dresses would ride up with wear.

Comment

In a thread by Debs on the jtrforum titled “Occupants of Mitre Square”, there is a Moss Lewis at 17 Mitre Street in 1888. I guess Moss could be a nickname or mis-spelling of Morris.

Comment

Originally posted by jerryd View Post
                In a thread by Debs on the jtrforum titled “Occupants of Mitre Square”, there is a Moss Lewis at 17 Mitre Street in 1888. I guess Moss could be a nickname or mis-spelling of Morris.
                The actual name of the thread is: Owners & Occupiers 1888 Mitre St and Sq

Comment

Originally posted by jerryd View Post
                  Possible relation to witness Joseph H Levy's wife, whose maiden name was "Lewis."

Comment

Among immigrant/assimilated Jews, I think "Lewis" was often adopted as an anglicised form of "Levi".
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

There's also the spelling 'Louis'

Comment

I believe some time ago I connected a Polish East End Lewis family to their Lachman mother who was related to Jacob Cohen, Aaron Kosminski's relation,his mother was a Lachman also and also from Kolo.
                        Sorry not really relevant just a point of interest.
                        Pat......

Comment

Amelia Lewis, wife of Joseph H. Levy, resided at 24 Mitre Street in the 1851, 1861 and 1871 census returns.

Comment

Working...
                          X