No announcement yet.

One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the rumors true? I heard David B. and Keith S. were last seen wrestling just above the Reichenbach Falls and have not been heard of since.

The prosecution appears to have rested. I can't quite figure out if the defense has pleaded 'no contest,' or 'no case to answer.'

Comment

• Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post
      Are the rumors true? I heard David B. and Keith S. were last seen wrestling just above the Reichenbach Falls and have not been heard of since.

The prosecution appears to have rested. I can't quite figure out if the defense has pleaded 'no contest,' or 'no case to answer.'
      If someone joins the forum claiming to be an elderly bookseller then it might get spooky

Comment

• Hi All,

Interesting discussion of the phrase "one off" and other matters in this 1994 book by Kenneth W. Rendell.

Regards,

Simon
        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
          Hi All,

Interesting discussion of the phrase "one off" and other matters in this 1994 book by Kenneth W. Rendell.

Regards,

Simon
          Cheers for that, Simon. An interesting read.

No idea why anyone still puts any stock into this being either an old forgery, or worse, the "real deal." It's an obviously silly, modern attempt at being a genuine, old document. But whatever floats your boat, innit.

Comment

• Hi Mike,

My Maybrick boat went down with all hands in the early 1990s.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Hi Mike,

My Maybrick boat went down with all hands in the early 1990s.

Regards,

Simon
              I hear ya, Simon.

I don't quite understand why there's still an interest in the diary, other than a quest to find out who actually penned it.

I do have an interest in it, but mostly because of the local connections.

I just don't see any reason to believe it's an old document as opposed to a modern forgery. Its appearance coincides nicely with Whittington-Egan's republished series of books on local stories regarding the weird and the wonderful around Liverpool. I think a certain someone was reading those books and got an idea for their own piece of work.

Comment

• Hi Mike,

The Diary is a modern fake.

You don't quite understand why there's still an interest in the diary, other than a quest to find out who actually penned it?

Really? Look at the money-making opportunities the Diary has presented.

As early as 1993 I had a pretty shrewd idea who conceived the Diary, and since then I have had no reason to change my mind.

None of the Liverpool mob was involved.

Regards,

Simon
                Last edited by Simon Wood; 08-19-2018, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• As early as 1993 I had a pretty shrewd idea who conceived the Diary, and since then I have had no reason to change my mind.

None of the Liverpool mob were involved.
                  This I think is the first time I've seen in writing the suggestion that the faked Diary did not originate in Liverpool. Can you tell us more, please, Simon?

I have to ask: if the Diary was a non-Scouse production, how did Barrett get his hands on it?

Graham
                  We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Hi Mike,

The Diary is a modern fake.

You don't quite understand why there's still an interest in the diary, other than a quest to find out who actually penned it?

Really? Look at the money-making opportunities the Diary has presented.

As early as 1993 I had a pretty shrewd idea who conceived the Diary, and since then I have had no reason to change my mind.

None of the Liverpool mob was involved.

Regards,

Simon
                    I don't really think that the diary moolah is that breathtaking, tbh. I mean, you can pretty much make a half-decent wedge writing about all kinds of nonsense these days. In the grand scheme of things, beyond Ripperville, the diary isn't that big a deal.

But I guess I mean in relation to observers of Ripper-related stuff; I don't see why the diary still intrigues people beyond the wonder of knowing who crafted it.

Subjects like the Ripper and the paranormal, etc, will always have a host of people who will willingly part with their money for a new piece of the mystery. People love a good mystery, and the Ripper is a gift that keeps on giving.

Comment

Harry Dam, right Simon?

Comment

• Wrong, Scott.

Comment

• Sorry Simon. For some reason I keep thinking it was around 1895 or 1896.

Comment

• Sorry, Scott, you've got me discombobulated. What was around 1895 or 1896?

Comment

Sorry, Scott, you've got me discombobulated. What was around 1895 or 1896?
                              Well, Harrry Dam was for a start.
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• I do hope nobody is suggesting Harry Dam penned the Maybrick Diary. Dam died in Cuba, 1906.

Comment

Working...
                                X