Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by caz 4 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by caz 5 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by caz 6 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Batman 6 hours ago.
General Discussion: Mary Kelly Jack the Ripper celebrity ghost box session interview - by Bridewell 6 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Abby Normal 6 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - (42 posts)
General Police Discussion: City of London Precincts and Divisions involved in the Investigation - (1 posts)
General Discussion: Mary Kelly Jack the Ripper celebrity ghost box session interview - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries > A6 Murders

Old 08-17-2018, 03:46 AM
Sergeant

Some Hanrattyites contend that 847BHN was correctly sighted by William Lee in Matlock either at 8.30 am (per Derrick and Sherlock Houses) 6.30 am (per the Court of Appeal and everyone else) with the driver wearing a green bobble or pom-pom hat.

Derrick has even gone so far as to say this 'evidence' is 'incontrovertible'.

Alphon confessed to being the A6 Murderer which at least convinced Foot and Woffinden but did he admit to driving to Matlock and putting on a green bobble hat? And if he was at Matlock at 8.30 am how did he get back to the Vienna to be seen by Mrs Galves at 11.45 am?

Last edited by Spitfire : 08-17-2018 at 04:00 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:48 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Good points all, Spitfire. But I'd still like to know at what time the car's number was first made public on radio and TV. Anybody know?

Graham
Old 08-17-2018, 10:06 AM
Detective

According to Foot, "A few minutes after 7 am, Police Inspector Milborrow arrived with a sergeant and a constable from Bedford Police Station. Milborrow spoke to Valerie Storie, and, some three minutes later, went down to the RAC call-box and released to the nation’s police the registration number of the grey Morris Minor."

I imagine BBC radio would have been contacted soon afterwards and the Morris's number would have been on the airwaves by the 8 am news at the latest.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:12 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Hi Alfie,

I know that's what Foot said, and no reason whatsoever to doubt him, but how long would it take the police to decide to give the Morris's reg no to the media?

If the number was broadcast at around 8.00am, then that could have been picked up by Mr Lee in Matlock, who claims he saw a grey Morris with the reg of the murder car at about 8.30am.

Graham
Old 08-17-2018, 01:24 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Hi Cobalt

William Lee reported the incident to police after he had first heard of the A6 murder and the wanted cars number on the radio immediately after he had finished work, at around 5pm.

Del
Derrick, who gives the impression of being au fait with all the ins and outs of William Lee's Matlock sighting, has it as above.

I've asked Derrick as to where one can see Lee's statement but he has told me to do some digging like Norma has .
Old 08-17-2018, 03:05 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Derrick, who gives the impression of being au fait with all the ins and outs of William Lee's Matlock sighting, has it as above.

I've asked Derrick as to where one can see Lee's statement but he has told me to do some digging like Norma has .
So Lee said that he first heard about the murder at around 5.00pm so went to the police with his 'report of a sighting' some time after that time? Which meant that he carried the car number around in his head for - depending upon who you believe - for either 11 hours or 9 hours? A number that he 'just happened' to memorize? I don't believe a word of it!

Did Norma ever come back with a response to this nonsense?

Graham
Old 08-17-2018, 04:33 PM
Detective

I'm afraid to say that the Matlock sighting is probably unreliable for the reasons given.

If it was offered to the police before the number plate was given to the media then it is highly significant evidence.

However, the weight of evidence suggests it was given afterwards; this does not render it irrelevant, but weakens it force.

However, we still do not have a clear line of evidence of when this, the most sought after car in Britain, was actually alerted to the public.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:30 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
So Lee said that he first heard about the murder at around 5.00pm so went to the police with his 'report of a sighting' some time after that time? Which meant that he carried the car number around in his head for - depending upon who you believe - for either 11 hours or 9 hours? A number that he 'just happened' to memorize? I don't believe a word of it!

Did Norma ever come back with a response to this nonsense?

Graham
How do you know he didn’t write the number down,if he was so incensed about the traffic incident, with the idea of reporting it at first opportunity, then as the day wore on, calmed down, and decided to forget about it?(happened to me in the past)
Then as he hears the news much later in the day realizes the description tallies with the car he was involved with ,so contacts the police.
Something else about this witness. When Lee found out and I presume he did , that the car was found abandoned in Redbridge, Essex . He would immediately think to himself ‘well there’s my sighting in Matlock lost all credibility! But from all accounts he stuck with his story . This gives his sighting more credibility for my money, because he wasn’t aware of any mileage discrepancy, or top policemen falsifying their relevant notes etc.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:53 PM
Detective

Quote :“ I know that's what Foot said, and no reason whatsoever to doubt him, but how long would it take the police to decide to give the Morris's reg no to the media?”
Hi Graham, just thinking , We have the Bedfordshire detective giving the full ‘so called’ description of the killer, from right there at the scene of the crime, but it occurs to me, since you mention it, a much more important description would be that of the murder car complete with reg no. Probably something to do with protocol . But let’s face it, there would possibly have been a couple of million males that would fit that description . But the car was unique. Unless of course Valerie did not know the car registration.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:24 AM
Detective

Default Acott's headquarters at the Broadway House

According to Foot (p. 56), when the cartridge cases were found at the Vienna (Mon Sept 11) Acott "descended with all his staff" on the Broadway House Hotel in Dorset Square.

That seems odd to me. Why would Acott move his headquarters from Bedford to a hotel more than a mile-and-a-half away from the Vienna? Come to that, why would he base himself in a hotel at all? Why not at Scotland Yard?

Also, none of the sources seem to know exactly when this move was made. A report in Thursday's Telegraph suggests it may not have been until the Wednesday. The fact that it was only on that day that Galves was questioned, and Nudds even later, on the Friday, suggests the police reacted rather slowly to this crucial discovery. Am I reading this right?