Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Batman 10 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Batman 14 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by etenguy 19 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by DJA 19 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Roy Corduroy 20 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Batman 1 hour and 7 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - (50 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: The Bucks Row Project Summary Report. - (32 posts)
Mary Ann Nichols: What Direction Was Polly Travelling When She Was Killed? - (7 posts)
Bury, W.H.: Bury's friend - (3 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (1 posts)
General Discussion: Maria Coroner - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Hutchinson, George

Old 07-21-2018, 01:05 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers stem View Post
The facts we have suggest that the identification was unsound .Can you see the eyes on the photo ?
Barnett wasn't going by the photo, but would have performed the identification at the mortuary after Kelly had been cleaned, and possibly stitched up. As Bond doesn't state that the eyes were in any way damaged apart from the eyebrows, which had only been partially removed, then it's very likely that their shape, and certainly colour, would still have been recognisable. As has already been noted, Kelly's hair was one of her most striking features, so this would have been another obvious means by which Barnett could positively identify her.

There were other parts or aspects of her body which were more-or-less intact as well, including her hands, feet and frame, all of which would have been enough in themselves to confirm her identity to a lover. Her breasts, whilst detached, had been removed more-or-less cleanly by circular incisions, and these would have been recognisable too, should the need have arisen to use them as a point of identification.

These factors, coupled with the fact that the body was certainly found in Kelly's bed, would have made it pretty obvious that the victim was the woman known to Barnett as Mary Jane Kelly, and thus the identification was anything but unsound.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:31 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Barnett wasn't going by the photo, but would have performed the identification at the mortuary after Kelly had been cleaned, and possibly stitched up. As Bond doesn't state that the eyes were in any way damaged apart from the eyebrows, which had only been partially removed, then it's very likely that their shape, and certainly colour, would still have been recognisable. As has already been noted, Kelly's hair was one of her most striking features, so this would have been another obvious means by which Barnett could positively identify her.

There were other parts or aspects of her body which were more-or-less intact as well, including her hands, feet and frame, all of which would have been enough in themselves to confirm her identity to a lover. Her breasts, whilst detached, had been removed more-or-less cleanly by circular incisions, and these would have been recognisable too, should the need have arisen to use them as a point of identification.

These factors, coupled with the fact that the body was certainly found in Kelly's bed, would have made it pretty obvious that the victim was the woman known to Barnett as Mary Jane Kelly, and thus the identification was anything but unsound.
So much supposition there it's difficult to know where to begin 😀

There is no evidence to suggest that Barnett visited the mortuary at all other than a suggestion in the times where the reporter wasn't actually quoting .

Barnett said
I have seen the body, and I identify it by the ear and eyes, which are all that I can recognise; but I am positive it is the same woman I knew. I lived with her in No. 13 room, at Miller's-court for eight months. I separated from her on Oct. 30.

This is repeated time and again
Telegraph , star , evening news and so on.... "I have seen the body" ....not a mortuary in sight
And why would he , as he told the Star on the 10th

He himself had been taken by the police down to Dorset-street, and had been kept there for two hours and a half. He saw the body by peeping through the window.

So the only evidence from Barnett was eyes and ear and that there was nothing else he could recognise , not hands , toe nails (including varnish) ,ankles or anything else anybody wants to suppose despite the fact that he said he couldn't recognise anything else

The ONLY evidence of anybody visiting the mortuary other than doctors is the jury and the reporter from the Pall Mall Gazette .... nobody else .
Nobody that knew her and nobody that could possibly have known her ..... including ,unbelievably , Caroline Maxwell

As for detatched breasts being identifiable , it's too ridiculous a notion to contemplate
Old 07-21-2018, 02:47 AM
Chief Inspector

Not aman,but supposedly a Victorian style of dress.
Just thought if anyone wanted to do a memory test,invite someone to study the photo for about half a minute,close the photo,wait about fifteen minutes,then ask that someone how much they remember of the detail.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2018, 03:06 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
The ONLY evidence of anybody visiting the mortuary other than doctors is the jury and the reporter from the Pall Mall Gazette .... nobody else .
Nobody that knew her and nobody that could possibly have known her ..... including ,unbelievably , Caroline Maxwell
"I went down to the Shoreditch mortuary today and recognised the body as being that of the woman Kelly, whom I saw at two o'clock on Friday morning"

Hutchinson's press statement.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:20 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
"I went down to the Shoreditch mortuary today and recognised the body as being that of the woman Kelly, whom I saw at two o'clock on Friday morning"

Hutchinson's press statement.
I'm not including anyone who's existence is actually unproven Joshua
Had Mrs Kennedy said it would you have mentioned it ?
Old 07-21-2018, 04:08 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
I'm not including anyone who's existence is actually unproven Joshua
Had Mrs Kennedy said it would you have mentioned it ?
Of course. Just because you personally refuse to accept it doesn't mean that evidence doesn't exist.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:34 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Of course. Just because you personally refuse to accept it doesn't mean that evidence doesn't exist.
It was a statement by the press association
Same as the Kennedy one and the Elizabeth Foster one ....... doesn't class as evidence 😉
Old 07-21-2018, 04:44 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
It was a statement by the press association
Same as the Kennedy one and the Elizabeth Foster one ....... doesn't class as evidence 😉
A statement to the police signed by the police doesn't seem to be evidence to you either.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:58 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
A statement to the police signed by the police doesn't seem to be evidence to you either.
With three completely different Hutchinson signatures on it ....
Too right I have issues with it
Old 07-21-2018, 06:02 AM
Sergeant

It's clear that whoever signed the individual sheets of the statement was not in the habit of signing the name 'George Hutchinson' although he was clearly well educated and comfortable with a pen