Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Torso Killings: torso maps - by FrankO 2 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Sergeant Thick's Sketchy Connections? - by MrBarnett 8 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Sergeant Thick's Sketchy Connections? - by MrBarnett 17 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Sergeant Thick's Sketchy Connections? - by MrBarnett 2 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Sergeant Thick's Sketchy Connections? - by Sam Flynn 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Was the ripper and also the torsomans crimes totally non sexual in nature? - by Sam Flynn 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Lechmere was Jack the Ripper - (40 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (13 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (11 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Was the ripper and also the torsomans crimes totally non sexual in nature? - (10 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Sergeant Thick's Sketchy Connections? - (6 posts)
Rippercast: Colin Wilson: Jack the Ripper Conference in Ipswich, 1996 - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Hutchinson, George

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #441  
Old 07-19-2018, 09:41 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is online now
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 10,246
Default

Even if Maxwell was right, who's to say that Mr Astrakhan wasn't back in No 13 enjoying his fourth post-coital cigar of the night, waiting to finish Kelly off when she returned? In that context, were there any firm reports of Kelly having been seen with any other man after Hutchinson left Miller's Court? If not, then - Maxwell or no Maxwell - Hutchinson claims to have seen her with the last known man in her company, and an odd-bod at that, so this was important in itself.

Regardless of what the papers (confusingly and unofficially) said, Hutchinson saw his pretty friend - sorry, acquaintance - in the company of a dodgy looking bloke, of stern countenance and carrying a suspicious-looking parcel to boot, in the early hours of the morning of her horrific murder. He is simply not going to say "ah, well, she must have died much later, so I won't bother telling the police" - in fact, he claims to have done the precise opposite.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Last edited by Sam Flynn : 07-19-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #442  
Old 07-19-2018, 09:46 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is online now
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 10,246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
Another subtitle in the Pall Mall Gazette, 10 Nov.

YESTERDAY'S MURDER
COMMITTED IN BROAD DAYLIGHT
AN IMPORTANT STATEMENT


One of our reporters prosecuting enquiries on the scene of the murders to-day writes: - The details of the murder of Mary Jane Kelly are still enshrouded in mystery. There is no disposition on the part of the police officers at Commercial-street police-station to correct any of the conflicting statements which have been made by the newspapers, or to supply further particulars.....

In Broad Daylight....


This from the Morning Advertiser, 10 Nov.

"JANE KELLY, it is believed, was killed between eight and half-past ten o'clock yesterday morning. There is some conflict of testimony on this head, but it would appear that in this interval the woman was seen alive, and, according to one statement, Kelly must have been abroad in the streets in company with a man with whom she returned to her lodging only a few minutes before her mutilated body was found".

This widespread belief is something we tend to overlook when discussing the case. It certainly provides justification for the Coroner requiring Mrs Maxwell to appear before the inquest.
What widespread belief? The very same articles admit to conflicting testimonies, for goodness' sake. Why didn't you highlight those bits in bold?
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #443  
Old 07-19-2018, 10:58 AM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Even if Maxwell was right, who's to say that Mr Astrakhan wasn't back in No 13 enjoying his fourth post-coital cigar of the night, waiting to finish Kelly off when she returned? In that context, were there any firm reports of Kelly having been seen with any other man after Hutchinson left Miller's Court? If not, then - Maxwell or no Maxwell - Hutchinson claims to have seen her with the last known man in her company, and an odd-bod at that, so this was important in itself.

Regardless of what the papers (confusingly and unofficially) said, Hutchinson saw his pretty friend - sorry, acquaintance - in the company of a dodgy looking bloke, of stern countenance and carrying a suspicious-looking parcel to boot, in the early hours of the morning of her horrific murder. He is simply not going to say "ah, well, she must have died much later, so I won't bother telling the police" - in fact, he claims to have done the precise opposite.
quite right sam
or if maxwell was right-maybe hutch came back again in the morning?
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #444  
Old 07-19-2018, 11:46 AM
Simon Wood Simon Wood is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,403
Default

You've got to hand it to Central News. They really had their finger on the pulse of the WM.

At 3.00 pm the body was still in Room 13, the doctors had yet to finish their preliminary examination, and it would be another 45 minutes before Anderson got into a hansom cab and returned to Scotland Yard.

But by this time news that this was another "Ripper" murder had travelled 400 miles to Scotland.

Aberdeen Evening Express, 9th November 1888—

“The Central News, telegraphing at three o’clock, [my emphasis] says: —

“Present indications go to show that the woman murdered in a lodging house, in a court leading from Dorset Street, Spitalfields, fell victim to the man who has already made himself a terror to the East End of London. On this occasion, however, the fiend has departed from his usual method, inasmuch as the crime was committed, not in the open streets, but in a room in a lodging house. This should afford a more definite clue in tracing the murderer than has been given in any of the previous cases.”
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #445  
Old 07-19-2018, 12:42 PM
rjpalmer rjpalmer is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 350
Default

Abby - The man with the peaked cap outside Mitre Square never existed. He is an obvious figment created from the 'sailor' theory that was being kicked around in the press at the time. The timing is such that Harris, Lawende, and Levy obviously murdered Eddowes and then made up this sailor chap to cover their tracks.

That's basically the Hutchinson theory, transposed onto the Eddowes murder. And one can play the game all day long.

The paradox of the Hutchinson theory is that if his statement is a plate of porkies, as many seem to believe, then there is no good reason to believe he was even in Dorset Street on the morning of the murder. Why believe the word of a man who, to you, is such an obvious liar?

Using your same arguments, I can claim Georgie never made it back from Romford until the following day, and is nothing more than a publicity hound who decided to become the star witness when he heard about an unidentified wall lounger.

Thus, the Hutchinson theory has been stuck on 1st base for twenty years, and there is no chance of it advancing to 2nd without being tossed out by the catcher.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #446  
Old 07-19-2018, 01:20 PM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpalmer View Post
Abby - The man with the peaked cap outside Mitre Square never existed. He is an obvious figment created from the 'sailor' theory that was being kicked around in the press at the time. The timing is such that Harris, Lawende, and Levy obviously murdered Eddowes and then made up this sailor chap to cover their tracks.

That's basically the Hutchinson theory, transposed onto the Eddowes murder. And one can play the game all day long.

The paradox of the Hutchinson theory is that if his statement is a plate of porkies, as many seem to believe, then there is no good reason to believe he was even in Dorset Street on the morning of the murder. Why believe the word of a man who, to you, is such an obvious liar?

Using your same arguments, I can claim Georgie never made it back from Romford until the following day, and is nothing more than a publicity hound who decided to become the star witness when he heard about an unidentified wall lounger.

Thus, the Hutchinson theory has been stuck on 1st base for twenty years, and there is no chance of it advancing to 2nd without being tossed out by the catcher.
so-marshall, Schwartz, lawende and company, possibly the PC, and the anon Church street sighting as well as Abberline all are in conspiracy about peaked cap man. Okey dokey.

the only thing that didn't exist is Hutchs Aman-and that's all from his own making (up).
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #447  
Old 07-19-2018, 01:22 PM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
Jon,
Your wife must be a wonderful woman.I bet she can also remember the colour of the maids eyes in those hotels.What about yourself?
I wouldn't know Harry, I was never allowed near them...


Quote:
Myself I spent about half an hour yesterday,talking to a new arrival in the retirement village in which I reside,and do you know I remember next to nothing as regards the clothes he was wearing,or what shoes he was wearing,
but one thing I do know,he,"can be identified".
Yes, I can sympathize. Yet, anyone who tries to argue that everyone is the same (eg, if I can't do it, no-one can), will be sorely disappointed.

I'm the one with the short-term memory, Ann is the one with long-term memory - so we look out for each other
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #448  
Old 07-19-2018, 01:50 PM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Hi Jon,

Many thanks for the Goad map information.
You're very Welcome!

Quote:
Of course he had, but Hutchinson’s act of coming forward, preemptively and in the guise of a witness, significantly reduced the threat of Abberline exercising that right or ability, since he was unlikely in the extreme to consider the possibility of the actual killer seeking an audience with the police.
Abberline had a reputation for being 'street-smart', he had to have seen & heard all the con-tricks the East End could produce. Yet, you think he is not going to treat a witness who claimed to be with the victim in the overnight hours with some degree of caution?
I think Abberline's mention of "interrogation" demonstrates he had to put this witness through the ringer - just in case....
They did the same with Richardson in the Chapman case, Swanson put that in his notes. So, it is not reasonable to suggest Abberline could be duped in that way.

Quote:
We discussed the late morning versus early morning times of death for Kelly on a previous mega-thread. I would refer you there.
I knew you couldn't be bothered
Would you believe that was like, four years ago? How time flies.
Yes, you produced six examples, and I produced eleven. Though now that has tripled, and is still growing.

I think it is an important issue because we typically believe today that the murder occurred overnight. Yet we have the advantage of knowing about later events like Hutchinson's story, and the fact Dr Bond estimated the ToD in the early morning.
The public know nothing of these facts on that first weekend. So their view, which includes the view of Hutchinson, was highly influenced by the weekend press.
And, the dominant belief in the weekend press was that this was a late Friday morning murder.
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #449  
Old 07-19-2018, 02:05 PM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
What widespread belief? The very same articles admit to conflicting testimonies, for goodness' sake. Why didn't you highlight those bits in bold?
"Conflicting statements" like the cry of murder at 1:45.....or 2:00.....or 2:30.....or 3:45..."
Reports of this very mobile 'cry of murder' are usually accompanied by the caveat that it was so normal no-one took any notice of it.
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #450  
Old 07-19-2018, 02:21 PM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is online now
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 10,246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
"Conflicting statements" like the cry of murder at 1:45.....or 2:00.....or 2:30.....or 3:45..."
Precisely those sorts of conflicting statements. It was by no means settled that Kelly died after 9AM, and - as I've said innumerable times - there is no way that Hutchinson would have decided not to come forward with his evidence, after having seen his pretty acquaintance in the company of a weird-looking man... etc etc etc. You know the rest.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.