Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - by J6123 18 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Antisemitism as a diversionary tactic - by jerryd 1 hour and 5 minutes ago.
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - by Sam Flynn 1 hour and 9 minutes ago.
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - by Abby Normal 1 hour and 14 minutes ago.
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - by Sam Flynn 1 hour and 20 minutes ago.
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - by Abby Normal 1 hour and 22 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - (34 posts)
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - (28 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Sedgewick Saunders ....... why did he say the things he said ? - (7 posts)
General Discussion: Martin Fido discovery 2018 - (7 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Antisemitism as a diversionary tactic - (4 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (4 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Victims > Mary Jane Kelly

Old 07-19-2018, 12:11 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJA View Post
No.
The correction is not Badham's or Hutchinson's.
It was made after the signing.

If Badham had taken it higher before the signing,it would have been initialed.
Aren't there two completely different signatures on page 1 and page 2 anyway ?
Old 07-19-2018, 12:54 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers stem View Post
Aren't there two completely different signatures on page 1 and page 2 anyway ?
Only the first "H" in "Hutchinson" materially differs, and the other letters are very similar, if not pretty much the same.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:55 AM
Chief Inspector

Don't have it in front of me,however that does ring a bell.

I don't use my "bank signature" on everything.

Changed my capital H's some years ago. Rarely write the original anymore.

Last edited by DJA : 07-19-2018 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Last line.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:26 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJA View Post
Don't have it in front of me,however that does ring a bell.

I don't use my "bank signature" on everything.

Changed my capital H's some years ago. Rarely write the original anymore.
Did you sign it the old way and the new way on the same day Dave ? On the very same day you just so happen to be signing an important document ?

Signatures are formulated over a period of time , doesn't drastically change on the day .
Either way , a very well educated person created both of George's signatures ... ahem
Old 07-19-2018, 01:28 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Only the first "H" in "Hutchinson" materially differs, and the other letters are very similar, if not pretty much the same.
The capital is the most important letter of a signature and very unlikely to change.... certainly not within minutes
Old 07-19-2018, 02:03 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
The capital is the most important letter of a signature and very unlikely to change.... certainly not within minutes
My first attempt at my signature often comes out wrong, to the extent where I take a few "practice runs" on a bit of scrap paper before I sign anything. This is especially true in recent years, since I very rarely use my signature - I can't remember when I last signed a cheque or wrote a letter, for example. I doubt that an unemployed groom/labourer in the 1880s would have had too many opportunities to practice his handwriting, still less his signature, so it's hardly surprising if one or two letters came out wonky when he was asked to sign the statement. The fact that he starts out with a "flowery" H and then abandons it is not particularly surprising either - I sometimes affect a "flowery" first letter in one or both parts of my name, only to give it up as a bad job on the next page. Besides, the fact remains that the "Geo(rge) utchinson" bits don't significantly differ from each other on all three pages of the statement, and I see no reason to suppose that they were the work of different men.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 07-19-2018, 02:32 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Did you sign it the old way and the new way on the same day Dave ? On the very same day you just so happen to be signing an important document ?

Signatures are formulated over a period of time , doesn't drastically change on the day .
Either way , a very well educated person created both of George's signatures ... ahem
I do.
Rarely use my bank signature or sign important documents.
Last December springs to mind.
Bank,Medicare,Chiro,Chemist. Only the bank got my official signature.

Expect Hutchinson received an excellent education aboard The Exmouth.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:43 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
My first attempt at my signature often comes out wrong, to the extent where I take a few "practice runs" on a bit of scrap paper before I sign anything. This is especially true in recent years, since I very rarely use my signature - I can't remember when I last signed a cheque or wrote a letter, for example. I doubt that an unemployed groom/labourer in the 1880s would have had too many opportunities to practice his handwriting, still less his signature, so it's hardly surprising if one or two letters came out wonky when he was asked to sign the statement. The fact that he starts out with a "flowery" H and then abandons it is not particularly surprising either - I sometimes affect a "flowery" first letter in one or both parts of my name, only to give it up as a bad job on the next page. Besides, the fact remains that the "Geo(rge) utchinson" bits don't significantly differ from each other on all three pages of the statement, and I see no reason to suppose that they were the work of different men.
I'm stunned at the lengths people will go to to back up a pet theory in ripperology .
I felt sure you could sign your own name and your experience of having to practice is not typical .
I rarely pick up a pen these days as everything is digital but if I'm signing a cheque , credit agreement or the like I can certainly do it.Though my writing isn't what it used to be due to lack of practice my signature isn't an issue .
I'm just trying to picture someone asking for a scrap of paper in a car showroom saying they need to practice before signing lol
The whole idea of a signature is that it's meant to be personal to you .....most people practiced it in their teens maybe but not later .
I do however agree that that the perfectly flowing signature on page 2 was not that of a groom/labourer ..... that much is obvious .
Clearly someone well used to handling a pen
Old 07-19-2018, 03:55 AM
Chief Inspector

Personal groom.
Personal steward was the naval term.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:05 AM
Commisioner

Hi all,

First of all there are three main differences.
One, The H in Hutchinson and two, the foreshortening of the Christian name from George to Geo. Then we look at the so called marriage certificate of One of the proposed "identities" of Hutchinson. It is totally different. To BOTH signatures on the statement

When one looks at the complete statement, the person who wrote "H Division" is clearly the writer of one of the signatures. Exactly the same H is used. It also shows that this person wrote the text on that same page.
Mr Hutchinson would not write "H Division" at the top of the page.. A policeman would. That is very plainly true.
So whomever wrote that part of the text signed the document as well. At least once.

Then we come to point two. "Geo" is not written with a full stop of abbreviation and is flowing, without pause, into Hutchinson. This is most unusual to do, especially with an abbreviated form of Christian name. A pause in a signature is almost always in place between the two names..if the Christian name is written either in full or abbreviated.

Seems to me Badham signed once, with either Hutchinson himself or a. n. other policeman, possibly Abberline, signing the other example.

Phil

Justice for the 96 = achieved
Accountability? ....