Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Sam Flynn 47 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Fisherman 1 hour and 8 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Sam Flynn 1 hour and 10 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Fisherman 1 hour and 18 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Fisherman 1 hour and 25 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by John G 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Scene of the Crimes: The Bucks Row Project Summary Report. - (36 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - (27 posts)
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Lech versus Kos - (26 posts)
Mary Ann Nichols: What Direction Was Polly Travelling When She Was Killed? - (22 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Did Jack leave his fingerprints on Mary Jane Kelly? - (11 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: The East End Conference 2018: London - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Hutchinson, George

Old 07-18-2018, 06:39 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
You miss my point regarding Lawende - I’m not suggesting he was the perfect witness or acquired a perfect sighting. I’m saying he was considered more like to have seen the killer than other witnesses, including discredited Hutchinson.
Did Hutchinson look Jewish, Ben? Or did he resemble Kosminski in any way?

If not, it seems he was not the same man seen with Eddowes by Lawende - assuming Lawende was the famous Seaside Home witness.

Alternatively, it seems he was not the same man seen with Stride by Schwartz - if Schwartz was the famous Seaside Home witness.

Me, I'm not sure if anyone got a decent look at the actual murderer, or was able to give a reliable description. If not, it might suggest he always took basic precautions against it. If he did allow himself to be seen by one or more witnesses, that would seem to favour someone of "foreign" or Jewish appearance. Hutch doesn't exactly tick either box, does he?

Love,

Caz
X

Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:59 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Yes she dropped him like a hot potato once he had nothing to offer. he then followed her around and waited outside her place in the middle of the night.

why would he be interested in the man?
But he didn't approach Kelly; she approached him - to try and borrow sixpence, which he didn't have or couldn't spare. If he was interested in the woman for sex, and/or a bed for the rest of the night, how was he going to pay for it?

One way it might make sense is if he was interested in the man, because he hoped to relieve him of money or valuables when he reappeared, so he would then have something to offer Kelly for sloppy seconds - er - her services.

Love,

Caz
X

Old 07-18-2018, 07:05 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
But he didn't approach Kelly; she approached him - to try and borrow sixpence, which he didn't have or couldn't spare. If he was interested in the woman for sex, and/or a bed for the rest of the night, how was he going to pay for it?

One way it might make sense is if he was interested in the man, because he hoped to relieve him of money or valuables when he reappeared, so he would then have something to offer Kelly for her services.

Love,

Caz
X
so hes a liar AND a thief then!

at least you think hes not the totally honest concerned citizen that many try to portray him as.

lets face it at very best hutch is a lying conman, trying to capitalize on his "friends" murder.

maybe a thief, just possibly a killer.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 07-18-2018, 07:15 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpalmer
To me, the very existance of this thread amply demonstrates why a person would hesitate before coming forward and contacting the police.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
Wish I'd said that.

Love,

Caz
X
the very existence of this thread shows how many people think Hutch is a liar and possibly the ripper.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Last edited by Abby Normal : 07-18-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:01 AM
Commisioner

The story of George Hutchinson is cut from whole cloth.

Daily Globe [St. Paul, Minn] 14th November 1888—

Name:  DAILY GLOBE [ST PAUL, MINN] 14 NOV 1888 HEBREW.JPG
Views: 198
Size:  32.6 KB

The description of Mr. A as 'Jewish' only appeared in Hutchinson's original 12th November police statement.

Los Angeles Herald, 14th November 1888—

Name:  LA HERALD 14 NOV 1888 HUTCHINSON STORY.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  28.3 KB

Who was the other person who saw Mr. A?

Hocking Sentinel [Ohio] 15th November 1888—

Name:  HOCKING SENTINEL [OH] 15 NOV 1888 HUTCHINSON AT INQUEST.JPG
Views: 197
Size:  51.2 KB

One of many reports that Hutchinson appeared at the inquest.

Regards,

Simon
Old 07-18-2018, 10:54 AM
Commisioner

Quote:

It was suggested earlier in the thread that Hutchinson’s lodgings were located somewhere other than the Victoria Home on the night/morning of the Kelly murder. The subtext here being that if he was domiciled elsewhere, he might magically have missed all news of the Kelly murder, thus magically justifying his failure to come forward earlier.
Not familiar with this suggested subtext. Your source for that would be?

Quote:
Unfortunately for these interesting suppositions, all eyewitnesses were obliged to provide their addresses for the night of the witnessed event (for what are surely obvious reasons).
Perhaps you can share what that obvious reason was. As opposed to the witness giving their current address where they can be reached?
Old 07-18-2018, 11:13 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
It was suggested earlier in the thread that Hutchinson’s lodgings were located somewhere other than the Victoria Home on the night/morning of the Kelly murder. The subtext here being that if he was domiciled elsewhere, he might magically have missed all news of the Kelly murder, thus magically justifying his failure to come forward earlier.

Unfortunately for these interesting suppositions, all eyewitnesses were obliged to provide their addresses for the night of the witnessed event (for what are surely obvious reasons). The fact that the Victoria Home was given as Hutchinson’s residence informs us, beyond question, that it was his home at the time of the Kelly murder; otherwise a different or additional residence would have been listed. It’s that simple.

Some have gone so far as to assert - without a scrap of evidence - that Hutchinson’s press interview occurred at the Victoria Home. It is then claimed, in the most circular fashion imaginable, that because he referred to a a place where he “usually” slept, that “usual” place must be somewhere else, and that it was this mystery establishment - not the Victoria Home - that Hutchinson allegedly attempted to gain access to on the night of the Kelly murder.

Back on our planet, meanwhile, it is obvious that the press interview took place somewhere else, at a more sensible and less conspicuous location; the Princess Alice pub for instance, situated directly opposite the Victoria Home on Commercial Street, would have made an ideal venue.

In this infinitely more plausible scenario, the place where he “usually slept” would still refer to the Victoria Home, and when he claimed to have told a fellow lodger “here” about the events of 9th, he meant precisely that; “here” in the pub. He claimed to have told a bloke from the pub who happened to be a fellow Victoria Home lodger. Simples.
Doesn't Hutchinson's statement confirm that it took place where he usually slept?

"After I left the court I walked about all night, as the place where I usually sleep was closed. I came in as soon as it opened in the morning"
Old 07-18-2018, 11:23 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
Doesn't Hutchinson's statement confirm that it took place where he usually slept?

"After I left the court I walked about all night, as the place where I usually sleep was closed. I came in as soon as it opened in the morning"
yes but even the most basic stuff has to be rehashed over and over again with the hutch lovers.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 07-18-2018, 02:14 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
the very existence of this thread shows how many people think Hutch is a liar and possibly the ripper.
Hutch is a popular witness to have a go at. One reason why so many jump on the "lets get Hutch" bandwagon is for the very reason's I have given before. Nothing offered by previous authors is satisfactory. Arguments are weak.
So out pops another author with another angle to try incriminate him.

It doesn't matter how many members or authors try to stick it to Hutch, none of them can agree on the basic's.
None can even agree on what he may have lied about.

Looks to me like his accusers are thrashing around treading water until someone comes up with a theory that is not full of holes.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:15 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post

One of many reports that Hutchinson appeared at the inquest.

Regards,

Simon
U.S. papers are not a good source.