• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
    Who else appeared in court Dec. 7th?
    There isn't a list of names.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
      Thanks, Wick and those who helped you in straightening it out. He wasn't back in court those other days.

This of course is the key find:
      Key indeed, especially for anyone who subscribes to the "wrong-day" theory to explain Hutchinson's story.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
        A week later on 26th Sept. 1887, a brief report contained in The Manchester Evening News informs us that on this date Joseph Isaacs was committed to 3 months imprisonment for the charge described above.
        Hi Wickerman--not overly important, perhaps, but do you recall off-hand if you found a conclusive age/birth year for Joseph Isaacs, the police imposter?

There seems to have been two sneak theives named Joseph Isaacs operating at the same time. Your man was sentenced to 3 months in late September, but according to Old Bailey on-line and contemporary news articles, another Joseph Isaacs was given three months with hard labour in October, 1887 for housebreaking in Peckham-on-the-Rye. Stole a coat and then passing out drunk.

Comment

Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post
          Hi Wickerman--not overly important, perhaps, but do you recall off-hand if you found a conclusive age/birth year for Joseph Isaacs, the police imposter?

There seems to have been two sneak theives named Joseph Isaacs operating at the same time. Your man was sentenced to 3 months in late September, but according to Old Bailey on-line and contemporary news articles, another Joseph Isaacs was given three months with hard labour in October, 1887 for housebreaking in Peckham-on-the-Rye. Stole a coat and then passing out drunk.
          Correct. I found the same two Joseph Isaacs, the same two you mention.
          The Joseph Isaacs who impersonated a detective in Dover (and resided at Little Paternoster Court, Dorset St.) is recorded in the St. Albans Prison register as 33 yrs old in 1894.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hi RJ

I have a bit of a file on this particular Joseph Isaacs.
            I found several sources which point to a D.o.B. of 1859.
            He was committed to Armley Jail in Leeds in 1887, age given as 29.
            There is also census records which give him as 23 in 1881.
            I found a Birth Index Record for a Joseph Isaacs in Apr-May-Jun of 1859.
            A St. Giles Workhouse Register has a Joseph Isaacs, age 40 in 1899.
            Also, a County of Essex Record of convictions has him aged 45 in 1904.

That covers most of what I have regarding his possible birth year.
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Many thanks, that should cover it. The drunken housebreaker in Peckham was listed as being in his mid-forties in 1887; 46, I think.

Although not the Ripper, Isaacs is an interesting character and well worth the study. His antics remind me a bit of Ostrog.

Comment

Working...
              X