Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Scene of the Crimes: The Bucks Row Project Summary Report. - by MrBarnett 33 minutes ago.
Catherine Eddowes: Eddowes V-shape wounds are scissors I think - by Sam Flynn 34 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - by MrBarnett 35 minutes ago.
Scene of the Crimes: The Bucks Row Project Summary Report. - by Elamarna 37 minutes ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by Alfie 38 minutes ago.
Scene of the Crimes: The Bucks Row Project Summary Report. - by MrBarnett 46 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - (45 posts)
Abberline, Inspector Frederick: Hinting at something? - (15 posts)
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - (12 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: New suspect book. - (11 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Sedgewick Saunders ....... why did he say the things he said ? - (10 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: The Bucks Row Project Summary Report. - (6 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Hutchinson, George

Old 07-15-2018, 01:00 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Kenyon View Post
I would have thought the official procedure was to take down what the witness said verbatim.
Anything else leaves the police officer open to accusations of tampering with witness statements.
That is my experience of giving a witness statement.

I am not DJA. He's called Dave.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:39 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
I would have thought the official procedure was to take down what the witness said verbatim.
Anything else leaves the police officer open to accusations of tampering with witness statements.
My position at the start (several years ago), was the statement is taken down in his own words, as you & Debs have stated. Any questions are only for clarification. Like, for the detailed description of the suspect?
This I argued with Ben numerous times.

The more the interviewer interrupts the witness, the more chance of distraction.
I firmly believed that, however current police opinion tends to disagree.
What concerns me though is a modern policeman may be telling us the current procedure, not how it was done in 1888.

How many people today would truly know how it was done in 1888?

Sadly, the 1889 Police Code does not even address this issue.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:04 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra A View Post
Hi Debs.

I do understand the point that was being made.
Witnesses, and especially the more common folk, do not think like a policeman.
The interviewing officer knows the story he is being given may need to be used in court at a trial someday.
So when the witness said, "I was walking up street on my way t'pub, and I saw him...."

Which street, which way was you walking, which pub?, etc.
He then say's the man "had a funny face, and a red thing around his neck, and he walked a bit like this....(demonstrating)".
How does a policeman present that verbatim story to a court?

So yes, it is understandable that an officer has to stop the witness and get him to reword what he said, or suggest something he agrees with. Something that makes the statement more presentable, or more coherent as Bridewell said.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:32 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra A View Post
Sadly it doesnt work that way with an experienced statement taker. The idea is to include as much information as is possible, and in as much detail as is possible. i.e if the witness stated that a suspect was wearing a hat, it would be important to describe what type and colour hat it was.

The reason being that if a suspect were arrested and his house searched the police would know what type of hat they were looking for to connect the suspect to the crime.

Why should it change from 1888 ?

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Last edited by Trevor Marriott : 07-15-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:59 PM
Chief Inspector

There are official records of witness statements taken on the day of the murder and written,it is claimed ,by Abberline himself.It can be noted that the statement of Thomas Bower is in a different style to the other statements.

So,there can be a difference in how thy are presented.As Trevor points out,the interviewer can ask,and they often do,questions to resolve points of ambiguity,but the final answer is entered verbatem.

For instance Sarah Lew is stated she arrived at the court between about 2am and 3am.It can be expected that Abberline would try for a more specific answer,and it is clear he would have failed.,and made no attempt to alter it.

So the Phrase,'"Can be identified",as with all the other official witness answers,can be accepted as made without alteration,no matter what opinions are as to the honesty of the police of that time.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:02 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
Hi Debs.

I do understand the point that was being made.
Witnesses, and especially the more common folk, do not think like a policeman.
The interviewing officer knows the story he is being given may need to be used in court at a trial someday.
So when the witness said, "I was walking up street on my way t'pub, and I saw him...."

Which street, which way was you walking, which pub?, etc.
He then say's the man "had a funny face, and a red thing around his neck, and he walked a bit like this....(demonstrating)".
How does a policeman present that verbatim story to a court?

So yes, it is understandable that an officer has to stop the witness and get him to reword what he said, or suggest something he agrees with. Something that makes the statement more presentable, or more coherent as Bridewell said.
Hi Jon and Trevor.
I appreciate what you are both saying. The experience of the officer taking the statement and the amount of detail a witness is able to give, unprompted, would determine how many questions were asked of the witness. That makes sense.

I am not DJA. He's called Dave.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:14 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
There are official records of witness statements taken on the day of the murder and written,it is claimed ,by Abberline himself.It can be noted that the statement of Thomas Bower is in a different style to the other statements.

So,there can be a difference in how thy are presented.As Trevor points out,the interviewer can ask,and they often do,questions to resolve points of ambiguity,but the final answer is entered verbatem.

For instance Sarah Lew is stated she arrived at the court between about 2am and 3am.It can be expected that Abberline would try for a more specific answer,and it is clear he would have failed.,and made no attempt to alter it.

So the Phrase,'"Can be identified",as with all the other official witness answers,can be accepted as made without alteration,no matter what opinions are as to the honesty of the police of that time.
Where a witness statement is taken which refers to a description of an offender/suspect who is not known/or known at the time. The term "I would be able/not be able to recognize/identify him again is included in a statement as a matter of course, for obvious reasons.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Last edited by Trevor Marriott : 07-15-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:04 AM
Chief Inspector

Trevor,
But we know that in the Hutchinson statement,the words used were,"can be identified".Of course other descriptions would also surfice,but they were not used, and there is no evidence for Wickerman claim,that the whole paragraph was changed by Badham,from what Hutchinson actually said,to one Badham felt was more appropriate.No evidence whatsoever.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:34 AM
Detective

I am not a Policeman but with due respect, - Button boots and gaiters with white buttons. Wore a very thick gold chain white linen collar. Black tie with horseshoe pin. That seems to me Hutchinson describing the man in great detail. Not Badham asking did he have a tie on, was he wearing jewellery etc
Also looking at his statement in the Ult Sourcebook his name is at the bottom of it with Badham's underneath. So I am assuming here that Hutchinson read, was happy with Badham's notes, and signed the statement. If he thought that Badham was putting words into his mouth he would surely have said so and not signed the document.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:01 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
That seems to me Hutchinson describing the man in great detail.
"He then pulled his handkerchief a red one out and gave it to her" certainly sounds like Badham was taking dictation. A tidied-up transcript would surely have read "He then pulled out a red handkerchief and gave it to her", or even "He then gave her a red handkerchief" - the "pulled out" bit being almost redundant. For sure, "a red one" looks pretty much like an aside on Hutchinson's part, written down in real time by the Sergeant.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Gtzendmmerung, 1888)