Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by Sherlock Houses 14 minutes ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by RockySullivan 19 minutes ago.
Research Related: Henry Kelly - by Paddy 1 hour and 4 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Busy Beaver 1 hour and 12 minutes ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by Sam Flynn 1 hour and 28 minutes ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by FrankO 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (32 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (23 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: If Mrs. Maxwell Didn't See Mary Who Did She See? - (15 posts)
Research Related: Henry Kelly - (5 posts)
Non-Fiction: Walter Dew's account...... - (3 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Hutchinson, George

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #221  
Old 07-11-2018, 01:52 PM
DJA DJA is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Some Australian Mountain Range.
Posts: 1,559
Default

Would be valued qualities in a sailor though.
__________________
My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 07-11-2018, 01:58 PM
DJA DJA is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Some Australian Mountain Range.
Posts: 1,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
"Once you realize who Jack the Ripper was and the reasons for the cover up, things fall neatly into place."

They do?
Yep.

Posted a "fair" amount,if you wish to go over it.

Actually one of the first things I did upon joining was to offer you most of that information,yet you declined.
__________________
My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Last edited by DJA : 07-11-2018 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Grammar
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 07-11-2018, 02:04 PM
Simon Wood Simon Wood is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,348
Default

I did?

Wanna send me a PM?

Regards,

Simon
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 07-11-2018, 02:40 PM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 10,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJA View Post
Would be valued qualities in a sailor though.
The good night vision might come in handy, but the photographic and durable memory would be rather surplus to requirements, however.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 07-11-2018, 02:43 PM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 10,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
Correct, and none of that was necessary.
Really? Good night vision and a durable photographic memory would not be necessary to make multiple detailed observations under low lighting conditions, and to be able to remember the minutiæ three days later?

Don't think you're right there, Jon.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 07-11-2018, 03:21 PM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Really? Good night vision and a durable photographic memory would not be necessary to make multiple detailed observations under low lighting conditions, and to be able to remember the minutiæ three days later?

Don't think you're right there, Jon.
We have no idea the level of lighting, but Abberline did. So you choosing to argue that Hutch needed some special ability really exposes a level of bias.
Plenty of people have an eye for detail, you know it & I know it so pretending this must be another special ability does little to bolster your argument.
So long as his detailed description passed muster with professionals like Abberline & Stewart Evans, unprofessional opinions to the contrary are of little value.
I would say I'm in good company.
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 07-11-2018, 03:31 PM
DJA DJA is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Some Australian Mountain Range.
Posts: 1,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
The good night vision might come in handy, but the photographic and durable memory would be rather surplus to requirements, however.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...ode_of_Signals
__________________
My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 07-11-2018, 06:43 PM
harry harry is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,779
Default

Jon,
You are correct,I do not know the duties of a groom,that is why I asked of your knowledge of same.Waiting for an answer.

As to the two policemen you mentioned,all I can answer is that my instructors insisted that information be entered in notebooks at the time or as soon as possible afterwards,as memory was not to be relied on.P erhaps they were above that,their recollections so good they did not need to record anything.Lucky them.Perhaps Hutchinson kept a notebook, or Victorians were superior in their senses.


The greatest assuption of course is that Aman existed. With no other evidence than Hutchinson's word,it is again surprising that two policemen would accept that evidence as compelling.

As for lighting,I believe there is enough evidence from contempory sources to sujest it was not the best ,but luckily for Hutchinson the lamp of the Queen's Head pub was lit,and the couple decided to walk beneath it.Pity they didn't linger there awhile,perhaps more detail could have been noted,or Kelly could have introduced her companion,putting the matter beyond all doubt.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 07-11-2018, 07:03 PM
DJA DJA is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Some Australian Mountain Range.
Posts: 1,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
luckily for Hutchinson the lamp of the Queen's Head pub was lit,and the couple decided to walk beneath it.
Hutchinson actually nominated the wrong hotel.
Name was altered on the police statement without any initial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_(military)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valet
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_worker
__________________
My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 07-11-2018, 07:23 PM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,298
Default

Harry.

The duties of a groom vary considerably.
My mothers friend was owner of horse stables, so I'm not guessing.

Here is a link you can read over, https://nationalcareersservice.direc...kills-required
but under "skills Required", you will read:

- good observational skills
- patience
- good communication skills

- competence in riding

I hi-lited the first three because they impact the arguments against Hutchinson.
- That he couldn't have seen what he claimed.
- That standing around for so long is suspicious.
- That no-one could provide the detail so clearly.

Another link:
https://www.thebalancecareers.com/horse-groom-125750

Grooms also presented horses at shows. They were the 'face' of the owner so had to always be well groomed themselves.
The horses likewise, leathers & brasses if needed all in pristine condition.

Police use notebooks (pocket books) because what they witness may need to be used as evidence in the courts. Not just because memory is fallible. A pocketbook is not for convenience, its a requirement.

The existence of Aman is not an assumption. Sarah Lewis saw a man & woman being watched by another man (Hutchinson?) lingering in Dorset St. she didn't describe him of course, but the man existed.
She saw the couple walk up the court - this much verifies Hutchinson's story.
So all those "wrong day", or "he made it all up" arguments are false.
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.