Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Mary Jane Kelly: Did Mary Kelly meet the Bethnal Green Botherer? - by Abby Normal 2 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Abby Normal 46 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Did Mary Kelly meet the Bethnal Green Botherer? - by Wickerman 58 minutes ago.
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - by Trevor Marriott 1 hour and 6 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Batman 1 hour and 25 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Abby Normal 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - (46 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (36 posts)
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - (17 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Did Mary Kelly meet the Bethnal Green Botherer? - (3 posts)
General Discussion: A broken down masher - (1 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: The Christie Case - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Witnesses

Old 06-21-2018, 03:16 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Didn't McCarthy have a brush with the Law in connection with illegal prize-fighting?
I think you're right, 1882 rings a bell (if you'll excuse the boxing pun). Wasn't he arrested but released as his good character was vouched for by a policeman - I'm thinking Thicke, but can't remember for sure.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:25 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers stem View Post
Bit more from Maxwell , same newspaper
" I didn't know then that she had separated from the man she had been living with, and I thought he had been "paying" her. I then went out in the direction of Bishopsgate to do some errands, and on my return I saw Kelly standing outside the public house, talking to a man. That was the last I saw of her.
Mrs Prater Inquest testimony;
"I was waiting for a man I lived with, hr did not come".
Old 06-21-2018, 03:48 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
Mrs Prater Inquest testimony;
"I was waiting for a man I lived with, hr did not come".
So clearly Maxwell was talking about Barnett .
There is no sense in trying to push an idea that she mixed up Prater with Kelly .
Prater and Maxwell would have been sat together waiting to give testimony .
There's no evidence that Prater was called Mary Jane ....
Prater was not from limerick
Old 06-21-2018, 04:30 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers stem View Post
So clearly Maxwell was talking about Barnett .
There is no sense in trying to push an idea that she mixed up Prater with Kelly .
Prater and Maxwell would have been sat together waiting to give testimony .
There's no evidence that Prater was called Mary Jane ....
Prater was not from limerick
I don't think it's probable that Maxwell confused Prater with Mary, but I think it's possible Lewis did. But there is something about her evidence that smacks of filling in the blanks after the fact, to me.
Believing Mary was from Limerick is irrelevant, it's doubtful that she would have had an Irish accent, growing up in Wales as she did.
And believing the man she lived with was called Joe Barnett isn't the same as knowing him before the murder (although she does say just that according to her inquest deposition).

Her police statement also contradicts the part you posted about her not knowing they had split up, and itself;

"since Joe Barnett left her she has obtained her living as an unfortunate. I was on speaking terms with her although I had not seen her for 3 weeks until Friday morning"

So, apparently, she *did* know they had split up, although last time they spoke this hadn't yet happened.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:53 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
I don't think it's probable that Maxwell confused Prater with Mary, but I think it's possible Lewis did. But there is something about her evidence that smacks of filling in the blanks after the fact, to me.
Believing Mary was from Limerick is irrelevant, it's doubtful that she would have had an Irish accent, growing up in Wales as she did.
And believing the man she lived with was called Joe Barnett isn't the same as knowing him before the murder (although she does say just that according to her inquest deposition).

Her police statement also contradicts the part you posted about her not knowing they had split up, and itself;

"since Joe Barnett left her she has obtained her living as an unfortunate. I was on speaking terms with her although I had not seen her for 3 weeks until Friday morning"

So, apparently, she *did* know they had split up, although last time they spoke this hadn't yet happened.
Her police statement in no way contradicts .
At the time of writing the statement she knows they were separated ,presumably as it's been mentioned , but she'd only found that out at some point earlier that day .
Anything to do with Wales is presumptive and should be viewed with extreme caution and certainly isn't evidence of anything and even if true you wouldn't know at what age she left Ireland.
Kelly , it seems , was always singing Irish songs .
I've come across traveller families in both England and Wales over the years and the accents stick ,that's for sure .
Maurice Lewis played pitch n toss IN THE COURT ....Maxwell did not live in the court , so he would be well used to seeing Kelly coming and going from her room IN the court .
I doubt Maxwell was sat with Dan and Julia 😊
No doubt in my mind at all he knew full well who Kelly was .... the mere mention of Dan should be evidence enough
Old 06-22-2018, 04:13 AM
Detective

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I thought this diagram of the layout of Miller's court might be useful in the terms of were the cry of " Oh Murder" might have originated.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2018, 04:24 AM
Casebook Supporter

Thanks, Darryl. If it helps, I'd advise that people use the left arrow to locate Prater. Source: Daily Telegraph, which unambiguously has her saying that her room was at the "front" and "above the shed", ie the storage space shown in the diagram.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 06-22-2018, 04:32 AM
Detective

Cheers, Sam thanks for clearing that up.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:15 PM
Chief Inspector

"Opposite the house in which the murder was committed stands the Commercial-street Chambers for men - a big substantial building, which should accommodate many men of a night. The other side of the Chambers is a warehouse of Messrs. Bayne and Wright, milk contractors."

Why did Mrs Maxwell go all the way to Bishopsgate to buy milk, when there was plenty next door?
Old 06-22-2018, 01:25 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Thanks, Darryl. If it helps, I'd advise that people use the left arrow to locate Prater. Source: Daily Telegraph, which unambiguously has her saying that her room was at the "front" and "above the shed", ie the storage space shown in the diagram.
And just to batten down the hatches on that issue (it has been controversial).

There was an unidentified couple living above Kelly, not Prater.

"The walls are of thin match lining, which makes this circumstance the more unaccountable, and the couple in the room overhead had slept soundly without being awakened by scuffling in the room beneath them."
Daily Telegraph, 10 Nov. 1888.