Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by RedBundy13 4 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by DJA 7 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by harry 8 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by packers stem 9 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Wickerman 9 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Joseph Isaacs - by rjpalmer 9 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (21 posts)
Non-Fiction: The Mysterious Fred - (14 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Joseph Isaacs - (4 posts)
Casebook Announcements: Katherine Bradshaw Amin (1980-2018) - (1 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries > A6 Murders

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #4891  
Old 06-11-2018, 08:50 AM
Spitfire Spitfire is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie View Post
Hawser's report really had Woffinden chewing the carpet didn't it.

Commenting on the death of James Hanratty, Sr, he went so far as to aver that it was in part "the perfidy of the wretched Hawser" that denied the old man justice for his son.

My dictionary defines perfidy as "the state of being deceitful and untrustworthy". I can only imagine that Mr Hawser had died by then to embolden the perfidious Woffinden to libel him so.
Cyril Lewis Hawser died aged 93 in 1990.

His well received report on the Hanratty case still fetches considerable sums of money. At the time of writing, a Lewis Hawser report will set you back anything from 441.36 to 4,780.43.

On the other hand a Bob Woffinden Hanratty: The Final Verdict can be had for 2.95 plus p&p. Bob's remarks were perhaps actuated by jealousy.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4892  
Old 06-11-2018, 09:26 AM
Alfie Alfie is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Cyril Lewis Hawser died aged 93 in 1990.

His well received report on the Hanratty case still fetches considerable sums of money. At the time of writing, a Lewis Hawser report will set you back anything from 441.36 to 4,780.43.

On the other hand a Bob Woffinden Hanratty: The Final Verdict can be had for 2.95 plus p&p. Bob's remarks were perhaps actuated by jealousy.
First with the facts again, thanks Spitfire.

You couldn't point me to an obit, per chance?

That's a hell of a price for the Hawser Report. Wonder who's buying it?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4893  
Old 06-13-2018, 07:56 AM
Sherlock Houses Sherlock Houses is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post

I used to have Michael Hanratty's phone number and we spoke on some occasions and this was a point I brought up with him.

This was his reply: "When I went to see Jimmy in prison I mentioned about hiding stuff under the back seat of the bus." Jimmy said: "Look Mick I know I am not the brightest in the world but do you or anyone else seriously think I would shoot and kill someone and then leave the murder weapon on a public service vehicle where it was bound to found. I would have chucked it in the river somewhere. Yes I admit I did used to hide unwanted or worthless jewellery under the back seat but that is all."
Hi Tony,

I can confirm what you say as Michael has spoken about this with me on a couple or so occasions. Jimmy Hanratty might have had some learning difficulties academically speaking but he was certainly no-ones fool.
__________________
*************************************
"A body of men, HOLDING THEMSELVES ACCOUNTABLE TO NOBODY, ought not to be trusted by anybody." --Thomas Paine ["Rights of Man"]

"Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4894  
Old 06-17-2018, 07:07 AM
Alfie Alfie is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 195
Default Ronnie Lofthouse

Sherrard when cross-examining Valerie at the trial, and after checking with the judge that he might "mention names in open court that may have nothing whatever to do with the case", asked Valerie if she knew a Ronald or Ronnie Lofthouse, to which she replied "No."

Anybody have any idea what that was about?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4895  
Old 06-17-2018, 04:19 PM
cobalt cobalt is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 278
Default

Purely from memory gleaned from this site, I think Ronald Lofthouse was a former boyfriend of Valerie Storie.

I can only assume that Sherrard was expoliting an obvious loophole in the prosecution case- motive. However it seems a weak line of questioning, unless you can provide supporting evidence to the effect that a (jilted) Ronald Lofthouse had the capacity to arrange a 'frightener' which went wrong for his ex-girlfriend.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4896  
Old 06-18-2018, 04:00 AM
Alfie Alfie is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
Purely from memory gleaned from this site, I think Ronald Lofthouse was a former boyfriend of Valerie Storie.

I can only assume that Sherrard was expoliting an obvious loophole in the prosecution case- motive. However it seems a weak line of questioning, unless you can provide supporting evidence to the effect that a (jilted) Ronald Lofthouse had the capacity to arrange a 'frightener' which went wrong for his ex-girlfriend.
If he was a former boyfriend, Valerie was perjuring herself. Can't see it myself.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4897  
Old 06-18-2018, 05:41 AM
Graham Graham is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Midlands
Posts: 3,329
Default

This name was briefly discussed on the Forum a while ago, and there was some albeit tenuous suggestion that Ronald Lofthouse worked for the Road Research Laboratory. If that was the case, then there may not be any reason for Valerie to have known him, as I assume there was a large number of persons employed on the site.

Graham
__________________
We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4898  
Old 06-18-2018, 06:09 AM
Alfie Alfie is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
This name was briefly discussed on the Forum a while ago, and there was some albeit tenuous suggestion that Ronald Lofthouse worked for the Road Research Laboratory. If that was the case, then there may not be any reason for Valerie to have known him, as I assume there was a large number of persons employed on the site.

Graham
Cheers Graham. Seems odd that Sherrard would go through that rigmarole with the judge and Swanwick to ask Valerie about a somebody she'd not heard of. Then again, it's a case full of oddities.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4899  
Old 06-18-2018, 12:51 PM
moste moste is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Vancouver Island British Columbia.
Posts: 472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
This name was briefly discussed on the Forum a while ago, and there was some albeit tenuous suggestion that Ronald Lofthouse worked for the Road Research Laboratory. If that was the case, then there may not be any reason for Valerie to have known him, as I assume there was a large number of persons employed on the site.

Graham
But then had Ronnie worked for the RRL, Sherrard must have had a good reason to ask if she knew him.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4900  
Old 06-19-2018, 02:12 AM
NickB NickB is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 900
Default

A search for ‘Lofthouse’ shows that the only time he was mentioned here before was 2 years ago on this page ...
http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?p=383480
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.