Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Darryl Kenyon 3 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Varqm 7 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by DJA 7 hours ago.
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - by Varqm 7 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Simon Wood 7 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by DJA 7 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (26 posts)
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - (13 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - (4 posts)
General Discussion: My profile of the ripper - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Witnesses

Old 06-18-2018, 06:44 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
This is actually very important .

We have five sources which mention the bleeding .

In addition we have 2 sources which give the testimony about Mizen's arrival in Bucks Row which do not mention the blood.

Of the 5 which do, four give the whole account leaving out nothing,.

However Fisherman is promoting we accept the 5th which is an incomplete report, it omits the assisting of the body onto the ambulance. That omission is reported in the other 4 reports and comes directly before the comment from Mizen on bleeding.

Yet we are asked to accept such is the most likely to be correct. Of course such a conclusion has nothing to do witha desire to have Mizen support the "Blood Evidence ".

Of course the irony is that even if we accept the Echo, it does not support the "Blood Evidence " in any way what so ever.

Steve

Any comments anyone?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:33 AM
Commisioner

Hi Steve,

Nichols' body was found in J Division.

PC Mizen [H Division] fetched an ambulance [handcart] from Bethnal Green [police] station [J Division].

The body was then conveyed to Pavilion Yard [in H Division], just off Old Montague Street.

Why wasn't the body taken to J Division's Bethnal Green mortuary?

Who returned the empty ambulance from Pavilion Yard to Bethnal Green [police] station?

Did H Division not possess its own ambulance?

Regards,

Simon
Old 06-18-2018, 09:48 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
Hi Steve,

Nichols' body was found in J Division.

PC Mizen [H Division] fetched an ambulance [handcart] from Bethnal Green [police] station [J Division].

The body was then conveyed to Pavilion Yard [in H Division], just off Old Montague Street.

Why wasn't the body taken to J Division's Bethnal Green mortuary?

Who returned the empty ambulance from Pavilion Yard to Bethnal Green [police] station?

Did H Division not possess its own ambulance?

Regards,

Simon

Simon,

Interesting questions to which I doubt we have conclusive answers.

However, the removal of the body to the nearby Mortuary, may just have been due to distance.
It is also clear that the senior officer onsite at the time, Kirby, allowed Llewellyn to issue instructions which were not his to give. The removal should not have occurred until an Inspector arrived at the scene, maybe Llewellyn didn't fancy a longer walk than to Pavilion Yard.

With regards to who took it back to Bethnal Green, probably one of the J Division officers who was at the mortuary when Sprating arrived, apparently with Thain. So could have been Thain, Kirby or some unidentified officer.

Steve
Old 06-18-2018, 10:15 AM
Commisioner

Thank you, Steve.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:17 AM
Commisioner

Hi Steve,

Here's another question that falls under the Mizen banner.

According to official testimony, at 3.45 am Robert Paul was walking up Buck’s Row on his way to work; Charles Cross was standing by Polly's body; PC Neil was discovering Polly’s body; PC Thain was being signalled by PC Neil; and PC Mizen was encountering Cross and Paul 300 yards away at the corner of Bakers Row and Old Montague Street. I've heard all the arguments about public clocks being inaccurate and people not carrying watches, so would appreciate any explanation of how all these people quite independently agreed upon 3.45 am.

Good luck with this one.

Regards,

Simon
Old 06-18-2018, 12:03 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
Hi Steve,

Here's another question that falls under the Mizen banner.

According to official testimony, at 3.45 am Robert Paul was walking up Buck’s Row on his way to work; Charles Cross was standing by Polly's body; PC Neil was discovering Polly’s body; PC Thain was being signalled by PC Neil; and PC Mizen was encountering Cross and Paul 300 yards away at the corner of Bakers Row and Old Montague Street. I've heard all the arguments about public clocks being inaccurate and people not carrying watches, so would appreciate any explanation of how all these people quite independently agreed upon 3.45 am.

Good luck with this one.

Regards,

Simon

Hi Simon.

First of all I look at this in my upcoming Book on Bucks Row.

Second, lets forget about absolute times, I really do not think such can be applied because of lack of syncronisation.

The police are more likely to have correct times than the public, its part of the job(if you want to know the time), but again how can we know Mizen's 3.45 is the same as Say Neil's 3.45.

Of interest the timings I have used in the work, that is walking speeds, while of course not pricise and only an aid, do suggest that it is entirely possible that Neil arrived at the Body, at approx the same time as the Carmen reached Mizen.

If we accept that Mizen was knocking up, it is probably that this was for a set time or within a set range. I feel that of all the accounts his time of 3.45 is probably closest to 3.45GMT, but certainly not pricise.

Thain and Neil are from the same Division as each other and may have syncronised their times, so although 3.45 might not be exactly 3.45, I find it acceptable that they may say the same time, although I suspect there may be a minutes difference.

Paul's time may be what he genuinly thought it was, but for his 3.45 to be meaningful the source of his time needs to be known, which its not, and to challenge the times of the police, be syncronised to their and Lechmere's times, which it is just impossible to demonstrate.

Some have argued that Paul may have used a public clock, church or even the Albion Brewery but even that would prove little as it is highly improbable that such was syncronised to GMT.

And I beleive most telling is that he says he left home just before 3.44, that to me suggests either a house clock or a watch. His later comment that from seeing the body to meeting Mizen took no more than 4 minutes argues that he may indeed have carried a watch, but such is unprovable.

It therefore is likely in my opinion that this discrepancy is easily explained, The Times are not absolute as we use today, Paul is very probably a few minutes fast on his arrival.

Relative times are the answer.
I beleive we can see that the walk from the body to Mizen took around 3 minutes, maybe slightly less, maybe slightly more.
I also beleive that there is a good argument for Neil arriving at the Body about 3 minutes after the carmen leave.

The issue that Mizen's time of 3.45 is not directly affected by Neil's discovery at his 3.45, unlike Thain's 3.45, argues I beleive for it to be reasonably accurate.

Hopefully when I publish, it will be alot clearer than this very brief and somewhat superficial response here.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by Elamarna : 06-18-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:56 PM
Chief Inspector

Hi Steve,
I think there was a clock on the front of the Albion Brewery (not the current facade which is slightly later I believe) but it was only visible from Whitechapel road. Did Thain's beat take him past this?
The clock on the London Hospital was (and still is) visible from west of the board school, which would probably have been visible to Neil, Cross, Paul and Mizen as they walked along Buck's Row, had they glanced southward.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:27 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
Hi Steve,
I think there was a clock on the front of the Albion Brewery (not the current facade which is slightly later I believe) but it was only visible from Whitechapel road. Did Thain's beat take him past this?
The clock on the London Hospital was (and still is) visible from west of the board school, which would probably have been visible to Neil, Cross, Paul and Mizen as they walked along Buck's Row, had they glanced southward.
Joshua, for Thain, it depends if he is walking clockwise or counter clockwise, if someone had evidence of that it would be wonderful.(yes he passes it, but is it before or after Brady Street.)

The Hospital clock ?

It may well have been the source for Neil, as he walked East towards the body.

Of the others Cross gives no Time other than he left home around 3.30 which could mean realistically a 5-6 minute range. If he saw the hospital clock he does not mention it.
Mizen would I think, have been unable to see it from his supposed position, so one assumes he had a different source.

Paul may have seen it as he walked West from the body to Mizen, but of course that does not help with Leaving home at just before 3.44 and entering Bucks Row at exactly 3.45..

And of course the chances of the hosptial clock being accurately syncronised with GMT are really not that high, maybe a minute or so either way yes, but pricisely i doubt.
What would be used as the source to syncronise with GMT.

I know we tend to assume they would not have watches, but Remember Woolf Kosminski certainly had one, so the possibility that Paul or even some of the Police had one cannot be ruled out.

I feel we get too concerned with absolute time. when such is unlikely to have existed in 1888.

Steve
Old 06-18-2018, 02:22 PM
Chief Inspector

Yes, sorry, I was just speculating about possible time sources, in the absence of any definite evidence.
Incidentally, according to the Times, Thain was heading north up Brady St, so had just passed the brewery clock (assuming his beat took him past this, I can't remember offhand).

"When he was signalled by Neil he was coming up Brady-street, from the direction of Whitechapel-road."

Also, there was a post office at the south end of Brady St, which may or may not have had a clock.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:58 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
Yes, sorry, I was just speculating about possible time sources, in the absence of any definite evidence.
Incidentally, according to the Times, Thain was heading north up Brady St, so had just passed the brewery clock (assuming his beat took him past this, I can't remember offhand).

"When he was signalled by Neil he was coming up Brady-street, from the direction of Whitechapel-road."

Also, there was a post office at the south end of Brady St, which may or may not have had a clock.
Thanks Joshua,
i have myself assumed he was going Clockwise, based on that report, but would prefer more than one report to be absolutly sure.
Yes the Brewery in that case would be a good source for his timing, as would the post office, if it had a clock.
The post office may also have provided a time check for Neil if it did have a clock. Thus explaining their close, but not exact estimates. And no need for watches.
It therefore seems likely that Neil and Thain could have been fairly well syncronised.

Thanks fpr the input.

Steve