Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Rippercast: Oh, Dear Boss: The Ripper Had All The Luck - by jmenges 18 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - by Joshua Rogan 23 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - by MrBarnett 1 hour and 21 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - by Wickerman 2 hours ago.
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - by Roy Corduroy 3 hours ago.
General Discussion: Mug Shots from 1908-1911 - by Sam Flynn 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - (24 posts)
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - (13 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - (5 posts)
Witnesses: Mizen's inquest statement reconstructed - (5 posts)
Witnesses: Pearly Poll's Husband - (3 posts)
General Discussion: Mug Shots from 1908-1911 - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Media > Audio -- Visual > Rippercast

Old 06-13-2018, 04:07 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varqm View Post
Then case would have made a different turn. More likely it was a hunch/read based on the reaction of the witness.

-
That's long been my interpretation. There was no actual identification, Anderson was just reading between the lines.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:29 AM
Casebook Supporter

So when Anderson says "the only person who had ever had a good view of the murderer at once identified him" (Blackwoods) and "unhesitatingly identified the suspect the instant he was confronted with him"(LSOMOF) and Swanson "And after this identification which suspect knew", "after the suspect had been identified", and "sent by us with difficulty in order to subject him to identification, and he knew he was identified".
-they were both just making an assumption based on nothing but maybe the witnesses body language and then made these pretty definitive statements based on a hunch? I don't see it. To me that opinion is more of a 'hunch' than their statements.

JM
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:45 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmenges View Post
So when Anderson says "the only person who had ever had a good view of the murderer at once identified him" (Blackwoods) and "unhesitatingly identified the suspect the instant he was confronted with him"(LSOMOF) and Swanson "And after this identification which suspect knew", "after the suspect had been identified", and "sent by us with difficulty in order to subject him to identification, and he knew he was identified".
-they were both just making an assumption based on nothing but maybe the witnesses body language and then made these pretty definitive statements based on a hunch? I don't see it. To me that opinion is more of a 'hunch' than their statements.

JM
Poetic license, Jonathan.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:11 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
Poetic license, Jonathan.
To put it kindly.

It could be that the witness stated that Kosminski was the person he had seen, but when asked to swear to it, he got cold feet. That would tally with the recollections of the officials and others. What motivated the witness to demur (that the suspect was a fellow jew) to me is the part open to more doubt than that initially a positive ID was made.

JM
Old 06-13-2018, 05:16 AM
Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
That's long been my interpretation. There was no actual identification, Anderson was just reading between the lines.
This line of reasoning has long been the interpretation of many. Unfortunately it leads to unnecessarily marginalizing Anderson, which in turn encourages the dismissal of the "Polish Jew Theory". It's a convenient way to avoid the confusing details, and it clears the table for imaginary suspects to be served up. That's why the myths surrounding the ex-assistant commissioner should be dispelled. The weight of "evidence" against Anderson looks formidable from a distance, but up close it amounts to an army of laughing gas filled balloons. The man was a divisive character who was equally respected and despised. There are many people in this field who I respect and admire who look at everything Anderson said with suspicion, and rightly so. But it's not good enough reason to opt for what may appear to be the simplest explanation, that the man was just blowing smoke.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:11 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Malcolm View Post
This line of reasoning has long been the interpretation of many. Unfortunately it leads to unnecessarily marginalizing Anderson, which in turn encourages the dismissal of the "Polish Jew Theory". It's a convenient way to avoid the confusing details, and it clears the table for imaginary suspects to be served up. That's why the myths surrounding the ex-assistant commissioner should be dispelled. The weight of "evidence" against Anderson looks formidable from a distance, but up close it amounts to an army of laughing gas filled balloons. The man was a divisive character who was equally respected and despised. There are many people in this field who I respect and admire who look at everything Anderson said with suspicion, and rightly so. But it's not good enough reason to opt for what may appear to be the simplest explanation, that the man was just blowing smoke.
A number of authorities in the field have accepted what Anderson and Macnaghten wrote at more or less face value, arguing that they were there, they were top officials, and know more than we will ever know. Well, of course, that doesn't necessarily follow. Despite their expressed certainty, they could have been as much in the dark as we are, and probably were. They were just coming up with answers to a mysterious case and really can't be relied upon to know what they were talking about.

Cheers

Chris
For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/
Old 06-13-2018, 10:01 AM
Casebook Supporter

Well, Swanson seems to have had his head screwed on. Macnaghten may have had his head screwed on sometimes, but unfortunately relied on his memory for its whereabouts, as he never made notes.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:17 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
A number of authorities in the field have accepted what Anderson and Macnaghten wrote at more or less face value, arguing that they were there, they were top officials, and know more than we will ever know. Well, of course, that doesn't necessarily follow. Despite their expressed certainty, they could have been as much in the dark as we are, and probably were. They were just coming up with answers to a mysterious case and really can't be relied upon to know what they were talking about.

Cheers

Chris
I totally agree with you

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Old 06-13-2018, 03:31 PM
Constable

Lay it on me mates, I can take it. Tell me where I'm wrong and how I'm wrong. Prove that you can teach an old dog new tricks. But please be specific. I don't have the patience to deal with dumb generalizations.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:47 PM
Assistant Commissioner

I simply can't see Anderson and the police getting a positive identification and then finding out the witness won't testify and responding by saying "understood old boy. Thanks for your time. Have a nice day."

c.d.