Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - by Robert 1 minute ago.
General Discussion: Jack The Ripper and Venus - by John Wheat 17 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - by Robert 21 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - by Elamarna 40 minutes ago.
General Discussion: Jack The Ripper and Venus - by albie 1 hour and 10 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - by Observer 1 hour and 15 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - (60 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (10 posts)
General Discussion: Jack The Ripper and Venus - (7 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (4 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: Patterns of behavior and Tumblety - (1 posts)
Annie Chapman: AC and TOD - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries > A6 Murders

Old 05-24-2018, 05:30 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post

I used to have Michael Hanratty's phone number and we spoke on some occasions and this was a point I brought up with him.

This was his reply: "When I went to see Jimmy in prison I mentioned about hiding stuff under the back seat of the bus." Jimmy said: "Look Mick I know I am not the brightest in the world but do you or anyone else seriously think I would shoot and kill someone and then leave the murder weapon on a public service vehicle where it was bound to found. I would have chucked it in the river somewhere. Yes I admit I did used to hide unwanted or worthless jewellery under the back seat but that is all."

I recall that one of the pro-Hanratty arguments was that he would not have used the word "institutions" as used by the gunman in the car according to Valerie Storie, yet here we have a well authenticated instance of Jim using the phrase "a public service vehicle" rather than what most folk would say, namely "a bus".

Maybe Jim was not as linguistically backward as some would have us believe.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:32 PM
Assistant Commissioner

I would think that as he spent a lot of his earlier life in such places, the word 'institution' would be one that JH would have known only too well.

Woffinden (P 91) illustrates what he describes as JH's basic inarticulacy when he describes France as 'someone who learned me previous occasions when I was younger'. I don't think this brief passage is all that inarticulate, to be honest, certainly no worse that what I hear kids shouting at each other these days. I don't recall anyone in any of the books being referenced as saying that they couldn't understand him or what he was talking about. He may well have stumbled over his words when under the severe and unimaginable pressure of the court-room, but I don't get the basic impression that in everyday life his diction and use of English was anything out of the ordinary. I may be wrong, of course.....as a Midlander I have always had trouble in fully understanding the modern-day London accent, something which the BBC and southern English people in general may well find difficult to understand in turn.

Graham
Old 05-29-2018, 06:32 AM
Superintendent

I know next to nothing about the Hanratty case so id like a bit of advice about books from those that do. Just a couple of quick reviews would be helpful

Hanratty: The Final Verdict - Woffinden.

Hanratty: The Inconvenient Truth - Razen

Who Killed Hanratty? - Foot.

Thanks all

Herlock

"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Old 05-30-2018, 02:56 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
I know next to nothing about the Hanratty case so id like a bit of advice about books from those that do. Just a couple of quick reviews would be helpful

Thanks all
Foot and Woffinden together will give you almost all the available background info on the case, but keep in mind that both were convinced of Hanratty's innocence and their analysis carries this bias. Foot is the more even-handed but Woffinden was able to use sources unavailable to Foot so is more comprehensive.

I wasn't aware of Razen's short book and have just finished reading it. He makes a few errors of fact (eg, Hanratty's breeze block job being in Bedford, Dixie committing suicide after Hanratty's execution) but he gives a useful if very abbreviated overview of the case.

One puzzling thing for me: Razen refers on a couple of occasions to an apparent acquaintance between Alphon and Hanratty. I haven't read anything that even hints at a connection between these two men. What have I missed?
Old 05-30-2018, 03:07 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
One puzzling thing for me: Razen refers on a couple of occasions to an apparent acquaintance between Alphon and Hanratty. I haven't read anything that even hints at a connection between these two men. What have I missed?
Because they both stayed at The Vienna, it has been suggested by conspiracy theorists that this was no coincidence but was a planned meeting between the two. Tempting, I concede, but there is absolutely no evidence let alone proof that the two knew each other. They moved in totally different circles and I doubt if they could have stuck one another's company for more than a minute or two.

I think Foot did allude to a suggestion that they were acquainted, but he didn't pursue it so I assume he dismissed it.

Graham
Old 05-30-2018, 05:37 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Thanks all
I agree with Alfie's quick summary above that Woffinden's book is the most comprehensive of the three you have named, and the most comprehensive of all books written on the subject.

I would recommend that you add the judgement of the Court of Appeal in 2002 to your reading list. Indeed I would be inclined to begin reading with that.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:45 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I agree with Alfie's quick summary above that Woffinden's book is the most comprehensive of the three you have named, and the most comprehensive of all books written on the subject.

I would recommend that you add the judgement of the Court of Appeal in 2002 to your reading list. Indeed I would be inclined to begin reading with that.
Hi Herlock - not for the first time Spitfire has beaten me to it. I was going to recommend the Court of Appeal's 2002 judgement not only as reading material but also as a starting point. Whilst some here can and do quibble with the odd bit, it sets out known facts and background pretty methodically.

Although the Court make a strong case for Hanratty's guilt, they leave me unconvinced that it was fairly proven. Anyway that's just my humble opinion. I'll leave you to your own reading and conclusions.

Btw, I don't know the Razen book.

Best regards,

OneRound
Old 05-30-2018, 07:24 AM
Assistant Commissioner

A few comments on the Razen Book (more of a pamphlet, actually) can be found here: http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?p=309811. It's OK, but I wasn't impressed. His standard of English I thought rather poor, too.

Another (now rare) book is Shadows Of Deadman's Hill by Leonard Miller, who is convinced that Hanratty was guilty. He refutes many of the standard arguments, especially regarding the Liverpool and Rhyl Alibis, but of course there are posters to these boards who may not agree with him! I think it was Derrick who said that the publisher (Zoilus Press) printed only 1000 copies. At one time a few years ago copies were being advertised on the net for over £600! I wonder if anyone ever paid that sort of money. I wasn't tempted to sell my copy, have to say.

I agree that the Court of Appeal Judgment should also be on your reading list.

Graham
Old 05-30-2018, 07:33 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie View Post
Foot and Woffinden together will give you almost all the available background info on the case, but keep in mind that both were convinced of Hanratty's innocence and their analysis carries this bias. Foot is the more even-handed but Woffinden was able to use sources unavailable to Foot so is more comprehensive.

I wasn't aware of Razen's short book and have just finished reading it. He makes a few errors of fact (eg, Hanratty's breeze block job being in Bedford, Dixie committing suicide after Hanratty's execution) but he gives a useful if very abbreviated overview of the case.

I appreciate the info Alfie.

Cheers

Herlock

Old 05-30-2018, 07:35 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

Thanks for that Spitfire.

Iíll take your advice

Herlock