Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Wickerman 2 hours ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by Joshua Rogan 2 hours ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by Sam Flynn 3 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Was the ripper and also the torsomans crimes totally non sexual in nature? - by c.d. 3 hours ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by Sam Flynn 3 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Herlock Sholmes 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (18 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (12 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (5 posts)
General Discussion: Mystery photographs found in car-boot sale box - (3 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Was the ripper and also the torsomans crimes totally non sexual in nature? - (2 posts)
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old 05-25-2018, 07:21 PM
Pcdunn Pcdunn is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectorDave View Post
Pat, if Anne was not involved we are looking for someone who has similar handwriting to her and someone whose proof reading fails to spot the same mistakes as her.

What is the simplest explanation with the least amount of assumptions? Anne Barrett transcribed the diary.


As for the value of the book, as an heirloom certainly there would be value, but surely more in the photos rather than the book. As for cash value what would you get for a Victorian book with a few photos circa 1990? £50? Mike could earn more than that composing a couple of word searches.

Totally true, Dave. I had been told earlier that the diary author's handwriting did *not* match either of the Barretts, or their friend Tony. I suppose Mr. Orsam 's examination of the diary for word use and errors in comparison with Anne's writings does seem to sink the notion that Anne wasn't involved.

Well, re the value of the old photographs, Anne might have wanted a possible source of money in case she needed it in a hurry (perhaps to get away from Mike?); that was my only point there. There is also the interesting comment she made on the radio interview: "I thought it might have been stolen." The best lies have a bit of truth in them, and maybe she did guess or know it was stolen.
__________________
Pat D.
---------------
Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
---------------
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-26-2018, 03:34 AM
DirectorDave DirectorDave is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Kingdom of Fife, Scotland, UK.
Posts: 331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
Totally true, Dave. I had been told earlier that the diary author's handwriting did *not* match either of the Barretts, or their friend Tony. I suppose Mr. Orsam 's examination of the diary for word use and errors in comparison with Anne's writings does seem to sink the notion that Anne wasn't involved.

Well, re the value of the old photographs, Anne might have wanted a possible source of money in case she needed it in a hurry (perhaps to get away from Mike?); that was my only point there. There is also the interesting comment she made on the radio interview: "I thought it might have been stolen." The best lies have a bit of truth in them, and maybe she did guess or know it was stolen.
Hi Pat,


A Victorian Photo Album is not something you can hawk about the pubs of Liverpool with any great success, really you might get £50 at an auction, probably half that at an antiques shop, and e-bay was a few years away. The photo album as it was is not instant cash and not enough cash to make an escape.

Yes, I agree it's easier to distort than lie, but we must be careful that does not allow us to look for the truth that must be in every lie....that way madness lies.
__________________
My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Last edited by DirectorDave : 05-26-2018 at 03:59 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-06-2018, 02:56 AM
Kaz Kaz is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
MIKE BARRETT IN HIS OWN WORDS PART 2


It may (perhaps) be said that they are fake notes written by Mike for the purpose of deceiving others or giving them what they wanted to read and, while I have no reason to think that is the case, this would demonstrate a hitherto unknown ability by Mike to create fake manuscript documents!

But the purpose of me exhibiting them is to prove that Mike did not only claim to have forged the Diary on one single drunken occasion.

Indeed, these notes....etc etc certainly put the amongst the pigeons.

I'm not sure how they can be defended

Good work, David.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-06-2018, 11:29 AM
Iconoclast Iconoclast is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
Indeed, these notes....etc etc certainly put the amongst the pigeons.

I'm not sure how they can be defended

Good work, David.
Then let me try, Kaz.

These are the scribblings of an emotionally-broken man whose senses were scratched and torn by the ravages of the demon drink. They were not posted, so we lack corroborating evidence from Anne's replies. They therefore could be 'genuine' (and by 'genuine' we should mean factually-correct) or else they could be malicious, manipulative, and utterly mendacious. I - for one - have no way of knowing which it is.

And nor does anyone else, I'm afraid.

The back story for Maybrick as Jack the Spratt is too rich to discard in the light of Barrett's desperate befuddlement.
__________________
Iconoclast
Soldier of Fortune, Man of Peace, Destroyer of Images, Nice Guy
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-06-2018, 11:29 PM
DirectorDave DirectorDave is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Kingdom of Fife, Scotland, UK.
Posts: 331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
Then let me try, Kaz.

These are the scribblings of an emotionally-broken man whose senses were scratched and torn by the ravages of the demon drink. They were not posted, so we lack corroborating evidence from Anne's replies. They therefore could be 'genuine' (and by 'genuine' we should mean factually-correct) or else they could be malicious, manipulative, and utterly mendacious. I - for one - have no way of knowing which it is.

And nor does anyone else, I'm afraid.

The back story for Maybrick as Jack the Spratt is too rich to discard in the light of Barrett's desperate befuddlement.
That would be Maybrick, the arsenic addict as opposed to Barrett the alcoholic?

So they both had alleged substance abuse issues.
They were both emotionally broken men.
They were both married with children, having issues with their wives.
Both had failing health.
Liverpool cotton merchant v Liverpool scrap metal merchant.
Would be 40-50 when they committed their crime
Both had literary ambitions


It's not just the barrattisms in the Diary or Anneslips with the proof reading, Mike is pretty much writing Maybrick as himself.
__________________
My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-07-2018, 04:46 AM
Kaz Kaz is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
Then let me try, Kaz.

These are the scribblings of an emotionally-broken man whose senses were scratched and torn by the ravages of the demon drink. They were not posted, so we lack corroborating evidence from Anne's replies. They therefore could be 'genuine' (and by 'genuine' we should mean factually-correct) or else they could be malicious, manipulative, and utterly mendacious. I - for one - have no way of knowing which it is.

And nor does anyone else, I'm afraid.

The back story for Maybrick as Jack the Spratt is too rich to discard in the light of Barrett's desperate befuddlement.


Its game over for me.

Clearly Mike and Anne were gifted con-artists/liars, they 'seemed' to have pulled the wool over so many.... the people who met them.

However, their gift at deception/fraud pails into insignificance when you compare it to the FLUKE at tying JM into the leading role...

Lottery winning chance.... Euro millions!


I'll occasionally drop into see if theres any further developments but these last few weeks/months tie things up and my interest has diminished.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-07-2018, 10:11 AM
Iconoclast Iconoclast is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
Its game over for me.

Clearly Mike and Anne were gifted con-artists/liars, they 'seemed' to have pulled the wool over so many.... the people who met them.

However, their gift at deception/fraud pails into insignificance when you compare it to the FLUKE at tying JM into the leading role...

Lottery winning chance.... Euro millions!


I'll occasionally drop into see if theres any further developments but these last few weeks/months tie things up and my interest has diminished.
Hi Kaz,

Of course, it is your right to give up whenever you wish to, but your submission should not be confused with insight by others who may be impressionable and easily-led. Nothing has been proven. Only whispers on the breeze, my friend, all-too simply misheard.

Ike
__________________
Iconoclast
Soldier of Fortune, Man of Peace, Destroyer of Images, Nice Guy
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-09-2018, 06:01 AM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
Its game over for me.

Clearly Mike and Anne were gifted con-artists/liars, they 'seemed' to have pulled the wool over so many.... the people who met them.

However, their gift at deception/fraud pails into insignificance when you compare it to the FLUKE at tying JM into the leading role...

Lottery winning chance.... Euro millions!


I'll occasionally drop into see if theres any further developments but these last few weeks/months tie things up and my interest has diminished.
Hi Kaz
Very commendable. I know we’ve had our snits in past, but I would be remiss if I didn’t say I find your change of mind refreshing.

And not just because it now more aligns with my ideas, but in general. Seems to many folks get entrenched in there beliefs here, and instead of being open minded, entrench themselves and never consider other possibilities.
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-11-2018, 09:43 AM
rjpalmer rjpalmer is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
Only whispers on the breeze, my friend, all-too simply misheard.
That's right. Stiff upper lip, mate...

King Arthur: A scratch!? Your arm's off!
Black Knight: No, it isn't!

In truth, the only thing left is for Anne Graham to come clean, but the chance of that happening lies somewhere between 'highly unlikely' and 'a snowball's chance in Hell.' If she was unwilling to spill the beans to Keith Skinner or Shirley Harrison, she's unlikely to be moved to talk by an abstract idea like 'setting the record straight.'
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-11-2018, 02:12 PM
Iconoclast Iconoclast is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpalmer View Post
That's right. Stiff upper lip, mate...

King Arthur: A scratch!? Your arm's off!
Black Knight: No, it isn't!

In truth, the only thing left is for Anne Graham to come clean, but the chance of that happening lies somewhere between 'highly unlikely' and 'a snowball's chance in Hell.' If she was unwilling to spill the beans to Keith Skinner or Shirley Harrison, she's unlikely to be moved to talk by an abstract idea like 'setting the record straight.'
Here's a thought, though - what if she can't spill the beans because she's telling the truth and you just don't want to hear it because it doesn't support your view?

I know you and your ilk will already be struggling with this notion so let me rephrase it. What if you're wrong?
__________________
Iconoclast
Soldier of Fortune, Man of Peace, Destroyer of Images, Nice Guy
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.