Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won“t kill in Whitechapel? - by Trevor Marriott 28 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won“t kill in Whitechapel? - by harry 2 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won“t kill in Whitechapel? - by Abby Normal 3 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won“t kill in Whitechapel? - by harry 8 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won“t kill in Whitechapel? - by caz 15 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won“t kill in Whitechapel? - by caz 16 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won“t kill in Whitechapel? - (40 posts)
General Police Discussion: City of London Precincts and Divisions involved in the Investigation - (1 posts)
General Discussion: Mary Kelly Jack the Ripper celebrity ghost box session interview - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Old 05-24-2018, 01:44 PM
Chief Inspector

"Recites (presumably receipts) for the watch" -- are we ignoring this little tidbit? He had them, promised them to her... Are we to assume she paid for the engraving on the watch?!

Or just more lies?
---------------
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:51 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
"Recites (presumably receipts) for the watch" -- are we ignoring this little tidbit? He had them, promised them to her... Are we to assume she paid for the engraving on the watch?!

Or just more lies?
OK let's try this again....I tried it on another thread.

Let's say everything he says is a lie.

What are we left with.

Him forging documents.
More "Barrattisms" that are found in the diary.
Proof that he was paid decent money (20 years ago) as a professional editorial contributor to magazines.

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:57 PM

Yes, looking at again, my transcript should have said "receipts" not "receipt".
Old 05-24-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectorDave View Post

What are we left with.

Him forging documents.
Yes, if it's all a lie, it's quite creative, showing skill in creating a false narrative, but if these are genuinely private notes written to Anne it would be very strange for him to be saying things like "you and me wrote the diary" if it wasn't true, as there would be no point.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:10 PM
Chief Inspector

So Mike lies and cofabulates truth and reality with what he wishes had happened or would happen.
No problem with that. He strikes me as a true rascal at the least, and a con man at the most.

So he is writing ill-spelled notes to his former wife, which apparently weren't sent to her, simply to provide extra material for a frame that she was actually involved in the hoax? And that she had a hand in the watch?

Did these notes come from his wastebasket, do you know? At least one seems to have been crumpled up and then smoothed out again.
---------------
Old 05-24-2018, 02:16 PM
Detective

I don't see it that way at all.

What I find interesting, if we accept these at face value as private communications, is that Anne has been asking Mike for certain tapes, receipts, etc., with the obvious inference that she is seeking to destroy any evidence that Mike still might have.

This is credible, because it brings to mind the strange affair of the maroon diary and how exactly it ended up in Anne's possession by early 1995. In Mike's sworn affidavit there is reference to a sort of 'honey trap' where Anne comes over, makes nice, and shortly afterwards obtains the red diary. This note seems to support the credibility of that claim, at least to me.

Anne at this point is in the 'fold' of Paul Feldman. I've said it before, but if I were Keith Skinner, I would seriously consider the possibility that Anne and Feldy were playing games behind his back.

(P.S. Though I should of course add that Feldman may have been entirely oblivious to all of this).

Last edited by rjpalmer : 05-24-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:25 PM

The notes that I saw, in their original form, weren't crumpled enough to have come from a wastepaper basket I don't think.

While keeping in mind the possibility that Mike could have created these notes to try and prove to someone that the Diary was a forgery and that Anne was involved my feeling is that they are genuine notes intended for Anne which he never had the chance to deliver and Alan Gray retrieved them. My main reason for saying this is that I've seen other notes written by Mike, a couple to Caroline and one to his friend Jenny (and a few one liners which appear intended for Anne), none of which say anything incriminating so it's not like the notes I've posted were the only ones Mike created and didn't deliver. However, it's fair to say I would say that wouldn't I?, bearing in mind that if the notes are genuine it's pretty much game over and the Diary is a modern forgery.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:33 PM
Detective

David. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the last sentence on the last note in post #4 might read: "you [will] never win untill [sic] you speak to me."

Why exactly is Barrett after Anne's "help"? Is this some sort of scheme to get her to help him privately expose the Diary is a fake, to apply leverage to Smith & Co?

Rhetorical question.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpalmer View Post
In Mike's sworn affidavit there is reference to a sort of 'honey trap' where Anne comes over, makes nice, and shortly afterwards obtains the red diary.
This is the honey trap passage:

"It was about 1st week in December 1994 that my wife Anne Barrett visited me, she asked me to keep my mouth shut and that if I did so I could receive a payment of £20,000 before the end of the month. She was all over me and we even made love, it was all very odd because just as quickley (sic) as she made love to me she threatened me and returned to her old self. She insisted Mr Feldman was a very nice Jewish man who was only trying to help her. My wife was clearly under the influence of this man Feldman who I understand had just become separated from his own wife. It seemed very odd to me that my wife who had been hidden in London for long enough by Feldman should suddenly re-appear and work on me for Mr Feldman."

And of the red diary:

"My wife is now in possession of this Diary in fact she asked for it specifically recently when I saw her at her home address."
Old 05-24-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpalmer View Post
David. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the last sentence on the last note in post #4 might read: "you [will] never win untill [sic] you speak to me."
Yes, I think you are right RJ.