Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by cobalt 4 hours ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by Graham 5 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Was the ripper and also the torsomans crimes totally non sexual in nature? - by Herlock Sholmes 6 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Was the ripper and also the torsomans crimes totally non sexual in nature? - by Abby Normal 6 hours ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by NickB 7 hours ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by moste 7 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Torso Killings: torso maps - (15 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Was the ripper and also the torsomans crimes totally non sexual in nature? - (10 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (9 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (7 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Sergeant Thick's Sketchy Connections? - (6 posts)
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - (4 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Scene of the Crimes

Old 04-26-2018, 10:24 AM
Chief Inspector

This doesn't shed any light on the original question, but thought it might still be if interest;

Morning Advertiser 20th Sept 1888

"PAUPERISM IN LONDON
The number of paupers in London on Saturday last, exclusive of lunatics in asylums and vagrants was 91,488, as compared with 89,764 on the corresponding day of last year, 86,376 in 1886, and 85,592 in 1885. The vagrants relieved numbered 985, of whom 787 were men, 178 women, and 20 children under 16 years of age."
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:47 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss marple View Post
And the Cholera epidemics that decimated the London population in the early 19th century. The last one was 1854. They thought cholera was caused by a 'miasma' bad air, Dr John Snow in Soho discovered the connection between infected water and cholera in the 1850s in an infected water pump.
Have you read The Ghost Map by Steven Johnson? I'm working on it right now. Actually, I started it over a year ago but got sidetracked.

It is hard for me to imagine Covent Garden being anything but the gentrified, upscale shopping neighborhood it is today, but I guess it was still a rather unrefined food market at the turn of the century.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:14 AM
Sergeant

I remember when Covent Garden was a fruit and veg market, it was very vibrant, it has always been an exciting part of London and next to the Royal opera House and Theatre Royal Drury Lane. Look at Shaw's play,Pygmalion. In the 1850s/60s Seven dials was a slum area on a par with the east end, difference was, it very small area, next to the West End and many theatres, so was not isolated,as a poor area, being so close to the wealthy playground. My own great grandmother was born in the slums off Drury Lane and became a music hall artiste.

miss marple
Old 05-21-2018, 04:03 PM
Detective

Miss Marple: When was Covent Garden Market converted to shops and restaurants? I would have loved to have visited it in its original form, but only photos remain.

Was your great-gran alive at the time of JtR? Did she have many recollections of 'old' London or photos?
Old 05-22-2018, 12:25 AM
Sergeant

Drummond st

After the move of the market to nine elms, the Greater London Council wanted to demolish Covent Garden, the whole area was listed by Geoffrey Howe, which started the regeneration in the early eighties. There were lots of independent shops there, now there are more chains and i was a regular at the Monmouth Coffee Shop in Neal St where I bought my beans. The old fruit market Jubilee hall became a antique market and the Apple market in the central hall became a craft and antique market.
I had a stall there at Jubilee in the early eighties and after a gap of many years i started stalling out again.
My greatgrandmother was born in 1869, she died before I was born but i know a lot about her career, she stopped when she shacked up with my greatgrand father who was born in the East End She knew Marie Lloyd, they appeared on the same bill when teenagers, she toured the country with the Horn Brothers. she was a dancer, each performer had a circuit of halls they would appear in. She appeared a lot at the South London Palace. Unfortunately I have no photos although i do have a drawing.
miss marple

Last edited by miss marple : 05-22-2018 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:05 AM
Inspector

Miss M.,

Are you familiar with the work of the photographer Clive Boursnell?

https://www.coventgarden.london/what...live-boursnell

Gary
Old 05-22-2018, 07:12 AM
Sergeant

Yes

Miss Marple
Old 05-23-2018, 05:26 PM
Detective

Thanks for all of the Covent Garden history, Miss Marple. It's such a relief that the beautiful old market was saved from demolition. And it sounds like your great grandmother had an exciting life.

What did you sell in your stall? I remember often visiting the market stalls years ago when I was on a 'work exchange' program (BUNAC) and living in London. I miss that place a lot --it was so vibrant.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:55 AM
Sergeant

Drummond St,

I have sold many different things over the years, at the moment I am in to victorian photos and euphemera. London antique markets are being destroyed by big business. Camden passage is a shadow of itself,lost shops to chains. Spitalfields has lost a hundred and fifty stalls to food. Portobello is full of Chinese junk. Bermondsey is sterilised, and rebuilt. Monday Covent Garden flea is ok but too much jewellery.

miss marple